Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

KVM - Templates or ISO's - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

KVM - Templates or ISO's

2»

Comments

• sinsin Member

I only ever install from ISO, I never use templates.

and

C. When I order a VPS I expect to get it with just an ISO mounted so I can finish the install myself.

• BochiBochi Member

It depends, but generally speaking I would prefer 3B.
    Whenever I need a VPS for just a short moment I simply use DO or Vultr.
    But with other providers and machines which I want to keep for a longer time I like installing the OS by myself, the extra 5 minutes this takes is no problem. :P

• Still learning the ropes, so 2A for me.

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

I use both but I expect the ability to use either to be available to me.

and

When I order a VPS I like to get it blank so I can install from template or ISO myself.

I end up selecting a random dummy password, which will be stored in the WHMCS and Solus database and then reinstall it and change it from inside the VPS.

• umeume Member

3B

Thanked by 1victory7
  • perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2017

AnthonySmith said: How would you feel it it was simply delivered pre-installed with Debian stable/current 64bit and obviously you have the option to change it post purchase?

On a scale of 1 to 10

1 being that is perfectly fine I don't mind that at all.

10 being - how annoying!

?

Close to 1 for me now since I am used to low-end providers having unintuitive user interfaces, but several years ago it would be close to 10.

I remember there was one time I purchased a VPS and I opened a ticket because it never asked me what OS I wanted to install when I purchased even though it came with an OS pre-installed. I had no idea how to install one, there were no obvious instructions from the panel. An e-mail was sent with instructions, but giving the user instructions through a third channel is very bad UI design and is certain to confuse most users purchasing from a WHMCS+SolusVM/Virtualizor provider for the first time.

I think having to login to a separate interface (SolusVM) to do the installation exacerbated this, ideally there would be a way to login to SolusVM directly from WHMCS (by clicking one button).

I think "how annoying" is not the right wording though. It is not annoying, it is confusing. If you expect most customers to be people who have been on this forum for several years, then I think it would be fine. But if most of your customers are either complete novices with respect to renting a virtual server, or have only had experience with providers like AWS / Digital Ocean, then you'll get lots of tickets (or, worse, users who just give up and stop using your service; this might actually be the majority of users).

Edit: TBH I think your poll is asking the wrong questions. You say the perspective of the end user, but then the options are in terms of the person replying to the poll. It might be better if you ask people to reply in terms of what the typical end user would want. Ideally, though, you would sample 500 or so users on your platform and ask them to complete a survey, maybe throw in a raffle for account credit as incentive to do the survey (of course, this is still biased, since the users are already experienced with using the system :/).

Edit2: actually maybe the poll won't be helpful. I think it is clear that asking during the order process will make the UI more efficient and learnable than forcing the user to change the OS afterwards. So I think what you are really trying to figure out is the cost-benefit tradeoff of implementing a better UI. I'm not sure how to go about determining this tradeoff, but doing so is probably more expensive than improving your UI :P Also, having a poor UI has future costs like having to reply to tickets from confused users.

• TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member

1B ideally. this way you know there is no crap installed without permission (i.e ovh)

• BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep

3A. Saves time :)

• 2A (if debian 8 minimal is available)

• JackHJackH Member

3(A/B)

Ability to use ISO is very attractive but template is nice for quick tests/deployments.

Not really fussed about when it gets setup. I tend to end up reinstalling about 50x before I'm happy anyway.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • yomeroyomero Member

Ok I will be the weird one.

1A

Sometimes, if I like the already installed system I keep it. Otherwise if it's full of junk or old, or something I prefer to install it myself.

• 1C: give me the ISO (and ideally a kickstart file to modify)

• FredQcFredQc Member
    • 3A
  • 3A

• FalzoFalzo Member

1B

• EdmondEdmond Member

Usually 2A for me if it's Linux, rarely need to mount a ISO so I can install Windows.

• jesinjesin Member

1B if the VPS is monthly billed and 3A if it is billed hourly.

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • 2A (minimal preferred)

• agonyztagonyzt Member

3A

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited May 2017

Right, that more than answers my questions, seems like I so have a finger on the pulse, after all, just going to alter the implementation slightly based on feedback.

Thanks, everyone.

Thanked by 2AuroraZ sin