Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HP P410i Raid Controller does not like SSD drives
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

HP P410i Raid Controller does not like SSD drives

justvmjustvm Member, Patron Provider

This is for the hardware guys, I have installed an SSD drive to a P410i raid controller and the I/O is awful does not gets more than 61MB/s where this should be around 500MB/s, I have changed a lot of settings on the controller, disable cache and nothing makes any difference. I know that HP is proprietary and will work only with HP SSD drives, I would like some suggestion in 3rd party controllers like Adaptec or SLI what should be better, to replace the P401i.

Comments

• IshaqIshaq Member

What I'm more interested in is why you need a controller in the first place?

SSD + software RAID is sufficient.

Thanked by 1justvm
  • justvmjustvm Member, Patron Provider

@Ishaq said:
    What I'm more interested in is why you need a controller in the first place?

SSD + software RAID is sufficient.

Thank you @Ishaq the SSD is in a bay connected on the backplane and thus connected to the raid controller. replacing the controller should be easy once installed in a PCI raise card, I don't know if there is any SATA controller integrated on the MB.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

Using P410 with SSDs is a bad idea. That controller is very old and not designed to be used with SSDs, neither does it support them. We have some LSI controllers with HP DL G6 and they work fine. Keep in mind that even if you can attach the storage directly to the MB, it's likely to be SATA 3gbps, limiting the newer SSDs in terms of speeds.

Thanked by 2justvm jh_aurologic
  • Gamma17Gamma17 Member

May be firmware update will help?
    I have HP DL380G6 with P410i, and a couple of consumer-grade plextor PX-256M5 SSD-s, ESXi 5.5 and MSSQL BD, and it works good, similar to single such SSD in desktop pc.

Thanked by 1justvm

@AlexBarakov said:
    Using P410 with SSDs is a bad idea. That controller is very old and not designed to be used with SSDs, neither does it support them. We have some LSI controllers with HP DL G6 and they work fine. Keep in mind that even if you can attach the storage directly to the MB, it's likely to be SATA 3gbps, limiting the newer SSDs in terms of speeds.

Thank you @AlexBarakov this is a DL G7 would you know what LSI model are you using?

• WilliamWilliam Member

P410 has only SATA2, which is 3Gbit. To get more than 250MB/s you need to use SAS2 SSDs which can use up to 6Gbit, and that bi-directional.

Gamma17 said: similar to single such SSD in desktop pc.

Your desktop sucks majorly if it has only 3Gbit SATA ports.

vpsrus said: I don't know if there is any SATA controller integrated on the MB.

2 ports for CD drives, SATA1 or SATA2 depending on model.

vpsrus said: would you know what LSI model are you using?

Anything 8 port (or 4 port., single backplane models) with SATA3 works, so 200x and 300x based controllers, RAID availability depends on model.

You want, as the server only has PCIe 2.0, at least 8 lanes used (totals to 40Gbit or 5Gbit per SSD).

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B007V8S0HY

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B00NNPL4X6

Thanked by 1justvm
  • Gamma17Gamma17 Member
    edited May 2017

@William said:
    Your desktop sucks majorly if it has only 3Gbit SATA ports.

I think this controller does raid1+0 by default on raid1 array so it explains why i still get 500mb+ read on raid1 array.
    Also under real workload i really doubt that there will be any difference between sata2 and sata3, everything will be limited by ssd performance with small block random read/write.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited May 2017

The p410 is literally the evilest raid card in the known universe, burn it with extream prejudice.

If you decide to use it anyway, please 100% expect to lose all data within 18 months and reminded of this post when it happens.

The feature set is absolutely rubbish, performance is absolutely terrible with the longevity of a fruit fly.

Thanked by 3justvm zafouhar netomx

it goes straight there

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited May 2017

Gamma17 said: under real workload i really doubt that there will be any difference between sata2 and sata3

... you... what? Obviously there is, look alone at the protocol changes that are specific implemented for SSDs, SATA2 was still designed for HDDs.

You also basically give away free money to the SSD manufacturer and waste the entire SLC/MLC cache on the SSD, if any (eg. all 3D/TLC Sandisk SSDs).

The P410(i) is from a time where SSDs did not even exist, and if you had some they used SAS - which is also what HP sold you, and that ideally with a P8xx then.

Gamma17 said: I think this controller does raid1+0 by default on raid1 array

That would be horrible, as you essentially would partition the SSD each in two parts and then rely on SATA still - on SAS this MIGHT make some sense as it can read and write at the same time, but SATA cannot do that.

A RAID1, in normal config, will always read from 2+ disks, and thus get 500MB/s. You can however only write to one (after the HP cache which might be faster but needs battery) which is likely much more issue.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • BopieBopie Member

@AnthonySmith said:
    The p410 is literally the evilest raid card in the known universe, burn it with extream prejudice.

If you decide to use it anyway, please 100% expect to lose all data within 18 months and reminded of this post when it happens.

The feature set is absolutely rubbish, performance is absolutely terrible with the longevity of a fruit fly.

I have a DL160 - G6 in production that i have run for around 3 years that the raid never failed on but on the other scale one of my DL380-G7 literally 2 days ago took a shit on the raid and i lost 2 drives in my raid 5 ....

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited May 2017

yes with a p410 it's not if it is when!

I had I think 5 of them simultaneously drop 3 drives from a 4 drive raid 10, obviously, anything can and will fail, but when a p410 fails.... it takes your data with it.

I used to work for HP, they used dell for production DC's, no further questions required.

Thanked by 2vimalware Bopie
  • DamianDamian Member

AnthonySmith said: The p410 is literally the evilest raid card in the known universe, burn it with extream prejudice.

100% agree with this statement.

And don't think it's because you're using mismatched drives; this still happens in HP servers with HP-branded drives with HP firmware installed on the drives.

• Damian said: this still happens in HP servers with HP-branded drives with HP firmware installed on the drives.

Just curious, which HP server and drive model that you seen the drive drop?

• @Gamma17 said:
    May be firmware update will help?
    I have HP DL380G6 with P410i, and a couple of consumer-grade plextor PX-256M5 SSD-s, ESXi 5.5 and MSSQL BD, and it works good, similar to single such SSD in desktop pc.

Sry for digging out that old thread but I have exactly the same problem.
    I've got a DL380G6 with a Samsung SSD 850 EVO in it running Windows Server 2016. But Windows thinks its an HDD and in the device manager it is listed as "HP Logical Volume SCSI Disk Device". So the performance is poor. I have 70 MB/sec read speed and I cannot enable the write cache in Windows.
    Did I configure anything wrong ? The SSD is installed in the Front Bay and I do not have a additional write cache module neither do I have a battery for the integrated controller?

• IonSwitch_StanIonSwitch_Stan Member, Host Rep

Do you have the BBWU unit installed?

• Muschek12Muschek12 Member
    edited June 2018

@IonSwitch_Stan said:
    Do you have the BBWU unit installed?

Because there is no additional battery or expansion card, i assume that it is just the plain p410i on the mainboard.
    But what is a BBWU unit?

• Hi Muschek12, Have you installed the HP Array configuration Utility on the Host with the 850 EVO? https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=MTX_4effd70562304a50b3be5c4b96
    If not install it, select the controller and then Enable the physical drive write cache. That got my Kingston SSDs up to ~220MB/s. That said, it's an old controller and we are starting to see it cause issues. It looks like a bunch of blocks are being retired on the drives. Mutliple blades are starting to exhibit the issues.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Wet old controller. Not recommended.