Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do I still need CDN for faster site loading?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Do I still need CDN for faster site loading?

Hi,
My site has currently 7000 - 8000 visitors per day and 25k - 30k page views. Right now I am using shared hosting and my site is not performing very well.

So, I am moving my site to cloud hosting/VPS today. I am not sure if that is good enough to make the site loading faster. Do you think I should think about CDN (I am considering MaxCDN), or, I should skip CDN?

Thanks for your advise.

Comments

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

A good CDN is great. Although it really depends on the cause of your slowness as to if it will help your situation.

Thanked by 1nehafarzana80
  • zulualphazulualpha Member
    edited June 2013

My site receives a similar amount and zips along nicely with a VPS and cloudflare (the free version). Very quick loading times. I'm using W3TC in conjunction with Cloudflare and both shave a few seconds of loading time off. I would get the VPS (and make sure to be very religious about making backups ALL the time) and set it up with cloudflare & if you're using wordpress, a good caching plugin like w3tc. If it's not fast enough, you can add something like MaxCDN into the mix

Thanked by 1nehafarzana80
  • I would 1st find where the bottleneck is. It might not even be network / cdn related. Benchmark / profile 1st.

Thanked by 3Zen DalComp AlexBarakov
  • vanarpvanarp Member

@nehafarzana80 said:
    Hi,
    My site has currently 7000 - 8000 visitors per day and 25k - 30k page views. Right now I am using shared hosting and my site is not performing very well.

Is your site running on WordPress or some popular CMS?
    If yes, have you tried using some Caching plugins?
    Have you used Google's PageSpeed Test to see where the problem could be?

• No you doesnt need CDN's for making your site fast! Just move to VPS or dedi with SSD's and nginx is your friend

• awsonawson Member

Shared hosting tends to be slow. Moving to a VPS should help.

Though MaxCDN is awesome.

• I would 1st find where the bottleneck is. It might not even be network / cdn related. Benchmark / profile 1st.

• bcrlsnbcrlsn Member
    edited June 2013

@Ruchirablog said:
    No you doesnt need CDN's for making your site fast! Just move to VPS or dedi with SSD's and nginx is your friend

The problem with this is that all the data for the entire site is coming from that 1 vps/dedi. It might have a great uplink but there are a lot of hops between you and the viewer. That contributes to lag in the load time.

Introducing a CDN into the mix can help greatly cut down on the load time since it is being delivered from a large mix of providers. I personally use Cloudflare and Rackspace CDN (They use Akamai) and in combination they have brought my sites load time down to under 2 seconds.

So yes, using a CDN would probably help a lot.

• MunMun Member

If you are using shared hosting it sounds like that more would be the issue. Have you thought of putting cloudflare infront of it? Also, may we ask what the site is?

Mun