Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HostMyBytes closing some services May 15
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

HostMyBytes closing some services May 15

jbarrjbarr Member
edited May 2017 in Providers

I just received this email from HostMyBytes:

>

Dear Jim Barr,

We would like to inform you that we are going to close all our products and related servers starting from 15th May. The only products that will be remained active would be managed VPS servers, hybrid servers & dedicated servers. You can migrate your data elsewhere upto 30th May.

Please do let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks

>

visit our website | log in to your account | get support
Copyright © HostMyBytes, All rights reserved.

It is unknown if I will receive a prorated refund, since my account is paid through December, 2017.

This is a shame, because they really have been a solid service. My account was a ridiculously priced pooled VPS service: 5 CPU/4GB/200GB HD/5TB BW/5IP for $4.00 per month yearly.

Time to move on.

Comments

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

That is a surprisingly short email.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2017

Awmusic12635 said: That is a surprisingly short email.

Agreed, you'd think a company who cared even a little about their clients would give more information. And 7 days notice? What happened to companies who gave a damn about their clients? Oh well, hopefully their VPS/hybrid/dedicated clients see this and get an idea of how they can expect to be treated in the future.

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho
  • YuraYura Member

@email said:
    Sorry, you're fucked.

>

Thanks

>

P.S. Buy our managed services, you idiot!

• @Awmusic12635 said:
    That is a surprisingly short email.

Some companies simply don't care about their customers, I prefer to skip those.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited May 2017

jbarr said: solid service

jbarr said: ridiculously priced

jbarr said: We would like to inform you that we are going to close all our products and related servers

Think that pretty much sums it up.

Another example showing that there is a line that some hosts cross, that line means you are relying on heavy overselling to make any profit at all, the ones that make it a few years are usually kids getting pocket money while in school so they don't mind only needing to make $200 profit p/month over 1000 clients.

These hosts are great if you want high cheap resources, don't mind occasional contention issues and can move hosts in a heart beat, the fact that you paid them up front for a year suggests your expectations were perhaps a bit high.

Not your fault, this forum essentially makes people think hosts can survive on fresh air.

• HostMyBytes pool vps was crap ( allways downtime )... If you need great service+support go with @Awmusic12635 ... Maybe he can figure out some refugee offer

Thanked by 1Awmusic12635
  • ricardoricardo Member

They should at least have the courtesy of saying 'please get in touch regarding refunds or we have already done X for users who have paid beyond that date'. Not a customer.

• Ah. lowendtalk feels like lowendtalk again.

I was getting bored since Saturday.

Thanked by 1dedicados
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I'm a victim.

Well, sort of. Spring 2016 @jbarr said he was very happy with HMB. HMB offered pools - e.g., you have 4 CPUs, 4GB of RAM, some disk, 5 IPs - divide it up however you want.

Cool idea...but unfortunately, a crap provider. I paid something like $45/year for this...well, after some wrangling. Took a while to get things sorted out because the first invoice was $150 or something and we had to go back and forth. Real amateur hour - e.g., their WHMCS email gateway wasn't setup so they didn't receive ticket replies, they tried mandrill but botched it so links in emails didn't work, etc.

Then when it was finally live - and yeah, I know $45/year is ridiculous for these resources - there was always a struggle to actually provision things. They had a few locations but often there wasn't enough capacity to deploy, etc.

Some more history:

I eventually shrugged and never renewed my "olympic pool" (that's what the plan was called). @jbarr did they ever get better?

Kind of sad because I believe they put a lot of work into a custom panel extension to support pools...or for all I know it was some ModulesGarden thing.

edited May 2017

risturiz said: HostMyBytes pool vps was crap ( allways downtime )... If you need great service+support go with @Awmusic12635 ... Maybe he can figure out some refugee offer

Appreciate the mention. While I can't directly match that pricing listed above, I will reactivate our 50% off offer.

It applies to our shared hosting: http://impactshared.com and our VPS Resource Pools (VDR) : http://impactvps.com

Code: HOSTMYBYTES

It is recurring and does apply to future upgrades of your service.

I did also reach out to hostmybytes to potentially provide a path of migration for their U.S. based services, if they are interested in that.

Edit: Looks like they closed my ticket.

Thanked by 2Yura jbarr
  • No, bad news, recently I purchased a lot of 3-year prepaid products. Hope that none of them do the similar thing. Luckily I only chose long-history & good-feedback providers for long term contracts.

Cannot avoid this I think. This is LET world !

• jbarrjbarr Member

@raindog308 said:

>

@jbarr did they ever get better?

For me, yes--they were solid. Of course my needs were small, with one small client instance, and a few personal sandboxes spun up here and there. I rarely had any issues, and when I did, their support provided quick resolutions.

Kind of sad because I believe they put a lot of work into a custom panel extension to support pools...

>

I agree. They were the least expensive pooled VPS I could find. Obviously, you get what you pay for.

or for all I know it was some ModulesGarden thing.

Interesting....

@raindog308, who are you using now? Who do you recommend?

• jbarrjbarr Member

@Awmusic12635 said:
    Appreciate the mention. While I can't directly match that pricing listed above, I will reactivate our 50% off offer.

It applies to our shared hosting: http://impactshared.com and our VPS Resource Pools (VDR) : http://impactvps.com

Code: HOSTMYBYTES

It is recurring and does apply to future upgrades of your service.

I did also reach out to hostmybytes to potentially provide a path of migration for their U.S. based services, if they are interested in that.

Thank you. I will have a look.

@Awmusic12635 can your hosting host a Moodle instance? I can't get Moodle to work on DreamHost.

jbarr said: @Awmusic12635 can your hosting host a Moodle instance? I can't get Moodle to work on DreamHost.

Assuming these are the only requirements: https://docs.moodle.org/32/en/Installation_quick_guide#Install_Moodle

I don't see why not. But if you have any issues open a ticket and I'll do what I can to help out, though I have never installed the software myself.

• raindog308 said: there was always a struggle to actually provision things.

This was so true. I bought a plan a long time ago and struggled to get anything to work. Machines wouldn't get IPs, listed templates would be missing, stuff couldn't power on. I went back and forth with support as they fixed issues one-by-one, often for individual instances. They were very responsive and nice about it, but in the end I got a refund because the issues never stopped.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

Should have kept the hostmybits domains .... argh dammit.

• IshaqIshaq Member

@jbarr said: 5 CPU/4GB/200GB HD/5TB BW/5IP for $4.00 per month yearly.

That sounds sustainable. I wonder why they are closing.

/s

• jbarrjbarr Member

@Ishaq said:

@jbarr said: 5 CPU/4GB/200GB HD/5TB BW/5IP for $4.00 per month yearly.

That sounds sustainable. I wonder why they are closing.

/s

The draw for me was that it was a POOLED resource VPS, so you could create up to 5 VPS's from the above specs.

• IshaqIshaq Member

@jbarr said: The draw for me was that it was a POOLED resource VPS, so you could create up to 5 VPS's from the above specs.

Doesn't change the fact that the resource/IP to price ratio does not make any sense and is in no way sustainable long term.

• Ishaq said: Doesn't change the fact that the resource/IP to price ratio does not make any sense and is in no way sustainable long term.

So true. We've seen a myriad of hosts going out of business after offering ridiculous deals.

• jbarrjbarr Member

FYI, their support just informed me that they WOULD provide a prorated refund.

jbarr said: The draw for me was that it was a POOLED resource VPS, so you could create up to 5 VPS's from the above specs.

Just for reference, our VDRs are pooled as well.

Thanked by 1jbarr
  • XEOVOXEOVO Member

RIP

• @Awmusic12635 said:

jbarr said: The draw for me was that it was a POOLED resource VPS, so you could create up to 5 VPS's from the above specs.

Just for reference, our VDRs are pooled as well.

And just for reference, ImpactVPS is one of the most stable VPS/VDR provider I have used, if not the most. Using them for the last 18 months or so.

Thanked by 1Awmusic12635
  • Hello,
    We're willing to accommodate all users coming from HostMyBytes.
    You can either use the code (HOSTMYBYTES) for a first time 50% OFF
    Or use JOINROCKET17 for a recurring 20% OFF
    Anything you need or require toss us a PM or open a ticket and we'll be glad to assist :)

Thanked by 1jbarr
  • Rob92Rob92 Member
    edited May 2017

Well, was a good run while it lasted.

Signed up with HostMyBytes in August of 2015 after Tyler offered to match my plan at Crissic for less. Ended up with 512MB RAM, 100GB HDD, and 3TB Bandwidth for $8.50 a year located at OVH Quebec on their "Galaxy" node after I turned down the Jacksonville location for latency purposes. I've used it for extra backups and ran a non intensive game server for the majority of the time. Uptime has always been pretty decent along with the network. Renewed for another year in August 2016 and service was still going strong, even after the transition in April 2016. I don't really care about getting a prorated refund since the service was already under priced to begin with and exceeded my expectations.

I can't speak for the resource pool offerings they had since I never used them. I'm assuming they were on a different node?

• teamaccteamacc Member

@Rocketrix said:
    Hello,
    Anything you need or require toss us a PM or open a ticket and we'll be glad to assist :)

The plan matching OPs specs (vps-2xl) is 1) out of stock and 2) 4x the price he used to pay. Even with the 50% off for the first month it's priced double.

Aside from that, your offer is not a resource pool, nor do you have anything close to the same amount of locations.

Feels like spam.

• bacloudbacloud Member, Patron Provider

I sometimes wonder how such companies has persisted for so long.

servers hardware, Infrastructure, office, employees, network channels, administrative costs, bills. How it is possible to cover everything with those prices if you are a data center owner? Time to time everything needs to be upgraded/updated and it is not one time investment.

One kid show, who uses his room as an office, eating mother's cooked food?

• ndelaespadandelaespada Member, Host Rep

wait for a bunch of ridiculously priced and unsustainable offers popping up not long from now with summer just around the order.

• @teamacc said:

@Rocketrix said:
    Hello,

The plan matching OPs specs (vps-2xl) is 1) out of stock and 2) 4x the price he used to pay. Even with the 50% off for the first month it's priced double.

Aside from that, your offer is not a resource pool, nor do you have anything close to the same amount of locations.

Feels like spam.

We do not offer OpenVZ servers, but KVM, you've gone over very old products which are used by minor amount of our clients