Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can't figure out the SPLA
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Can't figure out the SPLA

I wonder if anyone just like me, join the SPLA of Microsoft but not really understand all the policy and rules.

I wonder if we should provide VPS installed with Windows 2016 Std.

If my dedicated server is Dual E5 2620V3, means it's 6 cores CPU X 2 = 12 cores, but it's installed with Linux, not windows, and the VPS with win2016 is assigned 4 cores, that means I should report 4 cores ? What if I got 10 VPS like this ?

Thanked by 1dediserve

Comments

• sibapersibaper Member

ask them

• Generally you can do it either of two ways.

1 - You license the full hypervisor, using the WIn Datacenter edition license for the full server (no matter what it's running)

2 - You license the VMs per core

If 2 becomes a lot of VM;s then 1 will be cheaper.

• eLohkCalbeLohkCalb Member
    edited May 2017

If you have just signed up recently, most likely you're on the latest version of the SPLA, which requires you to report Windows license by core, with a minimum of 8-core per physical processor.

With that said, if I remember correctly you will have to report all physical processors on the server, meaning if you have only 1 VM on the server with 2 processors (6-core x 2), the number to report is 16-core, regardless if you assign only 4-core or all 12-core to the VM. If you have 2 VMs, it'd become 24-core.

To be frank MS licensing is very confusing, hence please call your SPLA reseller and ask them to confirm everything in detail.