Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BlueVM warning. - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

BlueVM warning.

2»

Comments

• Well at least a lot has happened since this thread was posted. I think KuJoe has actually helped BlueVM.

@BlueVM: The billing side of your site is not secure, I think this might also ward off some potential buyers.

• @Centaur: We'll look into getting an SSL to go with our new design...

• GaryGary Member
    edited January 2012

Free is a price I like, so I signed up for one of the offered ones here. First impressions:

I hate HyperVM, but the control panel seems responsive. I reimaged the VPS with Debian before I did anything else, and to be honest there aren't a lot of options. No Debian 6.

I'd tell you how the VPS performs, but the node's just gone offline... Control panel and VPS both unreachable. Nice one.

edit: Website's offline too. They don't appear to have a twitter for updates on stuff like this.

• It seems that someone keeps trying to DOS our servers... Our systems aren't going down, they are however occasionally timing out. We're aware of the issue and are working to solve it.

We will also look into getting Debian 6 when we get the opportunity.

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

@littleguy said: Who would pay $70 a month for 512 RAM?

As justindb poited out if you add fiber channel san storage, HA, little or none resurce overcommitment and premium bandwidth then it's a bit difficult to stay in the LEB price limits :-D

• Alright so in theory the DOS attack is over and the issue it presented has been resolved. Finally @Gary I'm uploading the 6.0 templates now so feel free to check for them in a few minutes.

• GaryGary Member
    edited January 2012

Cool, thanks. :)

edit: Ok, reimaged with Deb6-32.

Here's the cpu, I get one of those.

processor : 0 vendor_id : GenuineIntel cpu family : 6 model : 42 model name : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E31230 @ 3.20GHz stepping : 7 cpu MHz : 2394.700 cache size : 8192 KB physical id : 0 siblings : 8 core id : 0 cpu cores : 4 apicid : 0 fpu : yes fpu_exception : yes cpuid level : 13 wp : yes flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm syscall nx rdtscp lm constant_tsc ida nonstop_tsc arat pni monitor ds_cpl vmx smx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr sse4_1 sse4_2 popcnt lahf_lm bogomips : 6385.86 clflush size : 64 cache_alignment : 64 address sizes : 36 bits physical, 48 bits virtual power management: [8]

root@bluevmte:~# dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync 16384+0 records in 16384+0 records out 1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 12.1939 s, 88.1 MB/s

Decent dd result.

Cachefly:
    2012-01-17 23:19:15 (8.45 MB/s) - /dev/null saved [104857600/104857600]

Feels snappy too. Box is at volumedrive.

• @Gary - Glad to hear you like it at least on some level :)

• vtwvtw Member

The following is not a review and is probably a bit boring:

This is my first day of trying BlueVM's 64MB plan. My experience was horrible, though I'm too noob to know which parts are my fault of inexperience/laziness.

Default install was CentOS. I was gonna go for Gentoo but first I tried to do a UnixBenchmark. I tried to download it with "wget http://byte-unixbench.googlecode.com/files/UnixBench5.1.3.tgz" and I tried a traceroute but it didn't work i.e. there was 100% packet loss or something. I could download Geekbench though.
    Then I used an SCP program to transfer UnixBench to the VPS. "yum install gcc" (required for UnixBenchmark) failed, as did other attempts like "yum update" and yum commands with fastestmirror disabled. There were two types of errors and both appeared to be memory allocation errors, probably specific to low RAM VPSs. (One of the suggestions was disabling fastmirror, which failed, and I couldn't be bothered trying anything else).

Another thing, they didn't email me the address to SSH to. I used the ifconfig address which worked the first time, but after I installed Gentoo that address died. I later found out I can SSH into the same address as HyperVM. So at first I couldn't SSH the panel address and then after the ifconfig address ("main ip address") stopped responding I could.

Then I installed Gentoo, changed a small thing or two and there was no network. No wget, no ping, no who, that "connect: Network is unreachable". I played around with the panel and resolv.conf but the provided DNS addresses didn't work. I could only ping IPs not domain names. I gave up.

Came back later and installed Fedora. Network worked this time - I did diligently press the update button for the main ip and DNS addresses this time (maybe that previous network problem was because I somehow failed multiple times at pressing update :P). I managed to install apt-get with yum, but all else failed, but not with the same errors as last time: yum always started with "trying another mirror", had other memory errors and some hocus-pocus related to signatures or verifying download.

So... Have I proved myself an idiot not knowing how to use yum or is something wrong with the VPS?

• Ahm, yum + 64MB, no way

• NarutoNaruto Member
    edited January 2012

@vtw said: "yum install gcc" (required for UnixBenchmark) failed, as did other attempts like "yum update" and yum commands with fastestmirror disabled.

I think that's a memory issue. I have a SecureDragon 128 and I tried installing things with yum on CentOS but it kept outputting a bunch of stuff that made no sense so after I stopped my mysqld and httpd services I was able to install what I wanted, then I started them back. The VPS was fine, just I didn't have the memory for the install.

However, you had a 64MB plan running CentOS so you may just have too little memory. Not sure if that's the case or not. Maybe @BlueVM could temporarily give you more memory to see if the command runs then. If it does, then you know what the issue was. But, you're on a different OS now so doesn't matter.

EDIT: What @yomero said.

• Try debian. Yum is a known memory hog.

Thanked by 1tux
  • @BlueVM said: As a show of good faith towards the community we are offering 10 of our VPS1 plans for free for 1 month

OK :) Order no. 9273942107

I'll let everyone know how it goes!

• @sleddog said: OK :) Order no. 9273942107

I'll let everyone know how it goes!

Whoa. I had no idea some of those were still available!

• @sleddog said: I'll let everyone know how it goes!

Setup was completed in a few minutes, emails received, logged in via SSH, everything works just fine.

Default distro is CentOS 5.x. Debian is definitely a better choice on a 64mb server. No problem, I can manage that :).

Thamks BlueVM.

• @sleddog said: I'll let everyone know how it goes!

It seems that you grabbed the last freebie...

• BlueVMBlueVM Member
    edited January 2012

HaHa yeah we had those fly out pretty quick we had 4 left the other day.

As for the yum not working, its definitely a ram issue and if you had contacted us we could have increased your ram for 24 hours. Typically we allow 400 MB of ram for installation/setup if you need it. However we definitely recommend Debian because apt-get takes very little ram and thus you wouldn't run into the same issues as with centos.

Glad to see we're getting some decent reviews though. Let us know if you need anything.

Also if your thinking about purchasing our VPS1 plan in the near future the plan will be going up to $1.50 /Mo. for all new customers starting February 1, 2012. Customers who currently have a VPS1 with us will not be effected by the price increase.

• @BlueVM said: HaHa yeah we had those fly out pretty quick we had 4 left the other day.

It took you 14 days to run out of 10 free VPSes. Just sayin'.

• We actually added 25 total :) - Figured any positive publicity generated from the VPS would only help our company plus $25.00 isn't a lot to spend on marketing which could be very beneficial when you think about it.

We'll probably offer another 10 - 25 sometime in February, March and maybe April.

• @yomero said: It seems that you grabbed the last freebie...

Now you're making me feel bad.... and it's such a nice little VPS :)

• @yomero - If you want one create an account with us and request it via a support ticket.

• vtwvtw Member
    edited January 2012

Is either of gentoo-amd or gentoo-openvz right to be using? (Why is there gentoo-amd if its not for Intel?) There's no Arch either. Both installations there seem to be no network card (no eth0).
    No support replies for 24 hours so far. My bad, tickets aren't done through HyperVM.

• @vtw - We currently have no open tickets so you may be submitting it to the wrong ticket queue.