Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Scaleway - SSH Keys
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Scaleway - SSH Keys

emghemgh Member

Hello,

I have never intended to create a vps that would have it's IP known to other people, and never a "public" server or website avalible to anyone but me or a small group. However, now is the time. I brought a Scaleway dedicated instance. I have easily figured out how to use the SSH Key function. And i have saved everything & im able to login & run commands.

The issue is when installing MySQL, it asks for the root password. What can i do?

Thanks!

Comments

• farnoxfarnox Member

It's asking for the password for the MySQL root user. This is different from the systems root user. You can choose any password.

• emghemgh Member
    edited May 2017

@farnox said:
    It's asking for the password for the MySQL root user. This is different from the systems root user. You can choose any password.

You sure? "Enter current password for root (enter for none)".

• niknik Member, Host Rep

@emgh said:

@farnox said:

That's the password you want to give the mysql root user.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • ardaarda Member
    edited May 2017

If you are sure it's the command prompt asks for the user's password, and not the mysql root password instead, alternatively, you can try sudo commanding, but as other people mentioned, I highly doubt that.

• JinxJinx Member

@emgh said:

@farnox said:

Just click enter since you didn't set one, yet.

Thanked by 2flatland_spider emgh
  • AbdussamadAbdussamad Member
    edited May 2017

Run mysql_secure_installation and set a suitable root password. You can also save the password in a .my.cnf file in /root/ so the next you need to run mysql as root you just do a sudo mysql.

Ex .my.cnf file:

[client] user=root password=whatever