Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any issues with using entire OVH IP block?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any issues with using entire OVH IP block?

moonmartinmoonmartin Member
edited May 2017 in General

I am new to OVH. They seem to do IP blocks a little different in that it is possible to use the entire IP block. So a /30 can use all 4 IP addresses as static IP's instead of reserving the first for network# and the last for broadcast.

It seems to work ok for everything I tried. Are there any gotcha's I should be aware of? This is for dedicated server and they are calling these failover IP's. I am not using failover feature but might find some use for it some day.

Comments

• elgselgs Member

If you use each IP as /32 and bridge it to the host, you can use the last one, which is usually called broadcast.

• moonmartinmoonmartin Member
    edited May 2017

@elgs said:
    If you use each IP as /32 and bridge it to the host, you can use the last one, which is usually called broadcast.

Yes, that is how I do it as per their instructions. I can use the first one (network #) as well.

Is this unique to OVH? When I get a /30 (for example) from other providers they specify /30 netmask and first/last reserved for network# and broadcast.

• Surely you can use all of IPs in Network Bridging mode as per docs at https://docs.ovh.com/gb/en/cloud/dedicated/network-bridging/ . I also used this method so that I can have 1 separated VM per single public IP :-)

edited May 2017

@nhocconan said:
    Surely you can use all of IPs in Network Bridging mode as per docs at https://docs.ovh.com/gb/en/cloud/dedicated/network-bridging/ . I also used this method so that I can have 1 separated VM per single public IP :-)

That's talking about failover. I didn't have to do most of that on SolusVM for assigning the individual IP's to VMs. I just entered the IP range and /32 netmask. The gateway IP is the same as the one used by the dedicated server.

• vmhausvmhaus Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Dont forget about the virtual mac. Applying the ovh ips this way would limit the ips to be usable by only a single dedicated server. If you have multiple servers with ovh, i recommend to attaching the IP blocks to vRack.

edited May 2017

@vmhaus said:
    Dont forget about the virtual mac. Applying the ovh ips this way would limit the ips to be usable by only a single dedicated server. If you have multiple servers with ovh, i recommend to attaching the IP blocks to vRack.

I haven't looked into multiple servers with failover yet. I am assuming I need to reserve the first and last IP if I am doing that?

• racksxracksx Member

The only place in ovh where I used the full block is soyoustart :) IP block + mask + gw .254