Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Windows VPS CPU 100% high
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Windows VPS CPU 100% high

Recently many VPS provider have noticed that some Windows VPS had been infected and the symptom is VPS CPU went 100% high.

I got noticed by 2 or 3 different VPS provider for this, and a few days later, our own nodes running KVM VPS also seems got problem like that.

Since my Xen node don’t have any issue for this, I wonder if Xen is better than KVM on this kind of situation.
I know most people here like KVM:
https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/67007/xen-vs-kvm

This bring my questions as follow:

1. Will Xen based VPS better for VPS provider ?
  2. We better re-build the Windows template with updated “Windows Update”, right ?
  3. What you do if Windows VPS user do not update their VPS ?

Comments

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Are you seeing high cpu use in the vm or on the host node for that vm's pid or both?

I ask because if you run Windows on kvm and don't have both the clock sources on the host and guest and virtio drivers installed on the guest you will see a silly amount of cpu time for Windows guests on kvm.

• teamaccteamacc Member

Windows 7 has had some bug in its update procedure for the past 1-2 years. Read here for a fix: https://www.reddit.com/r/windows/comments/4tx4s9/windows_7_slowstuck_checking_for_updates_fix_as/

Could be your vm is stuck trying to update, but hits the bug above. Try applying the patch.

• The more recent Xen implementations actually use quemu (kvm) in place of HVM because of the performance gains, so if it's newer Xen it should be pretty much the exact same, difference is only in that it is scheduled by Xen.

However, I also think you asked the question in a confusing way, it is possible you are actually asking if there is some security advantage for Windows running on a specific platform? The answer is, no, the attack plain is still the same, if you run an insecure server, it can be hacked...

I have recently seen a few instances where windows server is compromised and found to be running a bitcoin miner. It's really annoying, but in the world of Microsoft you better stay updated or pay the price..

My apologies if I have misunderstood.

Cheers!

• tmwctmwc Member

@TheLinuxBug said:
    It's really annoying, but in the world of Microsoft you better stay updated or pay the price..

True, but that sometimes happens with all OSs.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

TheLinuxBug said: The more recent Xen implementations actually use quemu (kvm) in place of HVM because of the performance gains, so if it's newer Xen it should be pretty much the exact same, difference is only in that it is scheduled by Xen.

All of the security issues, none of the performance gains...?

Francisco

• oshqeuoshqeu Member
    edited May 2017

Hi jameshsi ,
    1. yes, provider can oversell , but with kvm they too can do it
    2. yes but do backup before do it
    3. nothing , vps user can install firewall or antivirus

• Sorry, My bad, turn out my Xen Node also have windows VPS and got 100% CPU usage issue, and if there are many Windows VPS got this kind of problem, your node will get high load in CPU, unless you request your VPS user to rebuild and do the windows update.

Anyway, my conclusion is also same as most guys, KVM is better for us to use it for hosting nodes.