Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Uploading a large amount of data to the internet
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Uploading a large amount of data to the internet

alfredalfred Member, Host Rep

So... I have a bunch of files (around 200GB) on an external hard drive that I want to backup and upload to Google Drive (eventually). The trickiest part is the first part - getting all the files onto the internet to begin with. With my home internet connection, it would take around 3 to 4 days to upload all of this.

Is there a cheap way to get all of my data onto some sort of server or something via mail or courier? Then I can upload from there to Drive, with hopefully much faster speeds.

Really I'm looking for a cheaper alternative to AWS Import/Export or Snowball (either of those cost $100+)

Suggestions? :)

Comments

• r0xzr0xz Member

You will crash the internet

• post me it on floppies, i can load em up no problemos buddy. before you know it you will be the internet

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

3-4 days isn't that long for an initial backup. The sooner you start it the sooner it will be finished :)

• alfredalfred Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2017

@trewq said:
    3-4 days isn't that long for an initial backup. The sooner you start it the sooner it will be finished :)

True :)

Maybe I'm just lazy...

I just did a bit more research and mailing a package via post would take 4 or 5 days anyway

• m3gfm3gf Member

what ?
    i thought you have something like 200PB to upload.

just 200G?

• Just send it to Google HQ. They'll know what to do with it; they're all about the Internet. :)

Writing a script and letting it run on an unused machine is probably the solution to your problem. rclone mentions supporting Google Drive, or you could use the raw Google Drive API.

• Lol.. It take only a day for a baby to upload

• 200GB really is not that much... If you have a slow connection you should group it up into smaller chunks say 20-50GB each chunk. That way if your connection craps out on you you haven't lost much.

• corbpiecorbpie Member

Cmon if OP lives in Australia he is pretty much bucked.
    A. if would take 2 weeks to upload B. his plan is probably 100GB

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@corbpie said:

You are obviously in an area without NBN :(

• I have no idea where you live but if you live in Europe (Or in NL even better) you could send/bring me the HDD and I'll upload all the data for you, won't cost you anything of course. Currently on a 300/300Mbit fiber connection again.

Thanked by 1dedicados
  • @BlazeMuis said:
    I have no idea where you live but if you live in Europe (Or in NL even better) you could send/bring me the HDD and I'll upload all the data for you, won't cost you anything of course. Currently on a 300/300Mbit fiber connection again.

Still there good people like you on this world.

Thanked by 2BlazeMuis alfred
  • williewillie Member

3-4 days of uploading sounds tolerable. 200gb in 72 hours is about 6mbit/s upload speed which is pretty good for a home connection, at least where I'm from. If you have a friend with a similar connection then maybe the two of you could each upload 100gb using both lines at once, or whatever.

• YuraYura Member

It's simply not possible to upload more 100GB to the World Wide Web. Period.

• Simple solution. Find free WiFi. Possibly a pub is a good solution many use basic residential or business lines with no speed caps. Upload there. If you still are at college/uni try that and of course if work has free WiFi try that too

• bsdguybsdguy Member

Quantum entanglement. All you need is a storage VPS running on a quantum computer and, of course, one at home. I suggest to connect your harddisk via Sata 3 or USB 3. Try to avoid USB2!

Thanked by 1flatland_spider
  • ElliotJElliotJ Member

Find a fast internet connection near you?

Find someone who works in a large office, or better still a University and you could be done in a few hours.

That said, the time it'll take you to do a ring around, convince them to upload stuff, drop off the HDD and for them them to get round to doing it will most likely take a few days. So in all honesty, you may as well just upload it on your 6mbit connection - The sooner you get started, the sooner it'll finish.

Thanked by 1mehargags
  • WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

use AWS Snowmobile, but you can do if you do have exabyte of data:

Thanked by 1alfred
  • Find a datacenter close to you and have them do it

• IonSwitchIonSwitch Member, Host Rep

A library is also a possible option. Most libraries around here have decent fiber connections that you could get it uploaded on pretty quickly.

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran
    edited May 2017

@corbpie said:

very true my ISP connection in Oz is 100Mbps down but 2.4Mbps up so would take me 234 hours to upload 200GB - almost 10 days LOL and connection costs me AUD$157/month

no NBN for me in my area until Jun 2019 though it's meant to be FTTP (Fibre to the premises) heh. Then 200GB would take ~15hrs instead at 100Mbps/40Mbps but FTTP can potentially allow 10Gbps speeds but not holding my breath with way NBN is being rolled out http://www.nbnco.com.au/corporate-information/media-centre/media-releases/New-fibre-tech-takes-nbn-to-10-Gigabits.html

so 3-4 days is tolerable for uploads !

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • Cyber cafes in my country also have good internet, especially during non peak hours. That might be an option for you

• r0xzr0xz Member

@thoyangteo said:
    Cyber cafes in my country also have good internet, especially during non peak hours. That might be an option for you

you're suggesting for the OP to go to your country & find a cyber cafe & upload his stuff from there?

...well..good luck OP!

Thanked by 1Hybrid
  • @r0xz said:

@thoyangteo said:
    Cyber cafes in my country also have good internet, especially during non peak hours. That might be an option for you

you're suggesting for the OP to go to your country & find a cyber cafe & upload his stuff from there?

...well..good luck OP!

Haha I meant if his countries Cyber cafes are as fast as mine, he could go there to upload content.. I used to go to cyber cafes to download large steam games, back it up on a hard drive and bring it back home to install on my computer

• alfredalfred Member, Host Rep

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll probably upload from home then.

I basically live in a university and they have a really good connection but I have no idea if they will complain if I upload that much.

• YuraYura Member

@alfred, say you did it for SCIENCE​!

• IkoulaIkoula Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2017

@alfred just ask the hosting companies around your home, because some customers asked for it (same situation as yours) we do it.

• @alfred said:
    Thanks for the suggestions! I'll probably upload from home then.

I basically live in a university and they have a really good connection but I have no idea if they will complain if I upload that much.

You could limit your upload speed. Problem solved.

• @alfred said:

>

There's only one way to find out. Fire up a script and let the bits fly! :)

They probably won't care as long as your connections don't get out of hand.

• WilliamWilliam Member

alfred said: I basically live in a university and they have a really good connection but I have no idea if they will complain if I upload that much.

If EU or US, they will not. Chances are someone uses 100Mbit permanently for torrent or similar anyway.