Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Moving site from Cpanel to Cpanel - best practice - issues on first try
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Moving site from Cpanel to Cpanel - best practice - issues on first try

myhkenmyhken Member

I have not used Cpanel for years, and I do now need to move a site from one Cpanel server to another. I'm moving the site from Hostgator, and I do only have normal Cpanel access.
The site is a wordpress site.

My first try was this:
I compressed the entire public_html folder, downloaded the .zip file, uploaded the .zip file on the new Cpanel server, then extracted it.

Then I used the backup function in Cpanel to take a backup of the MySQL DB. I then used the restore function and uploaded the backup file to the new server.

The DB got a new name, and a new user (I used the old password) and I did edit wp-config with the new info.

But when I try to access to site on the new Cpanel server, it's just blank. If I replace the wp-config file with the default, I got Database connection error.
And if I just create a new DB and user, and use that info in wp-config I can start the WordPress setup.

So I think my issue are with the MySQL database and a error with the backup and/or restore function. Even if I check the restored DB with phpMyAdmin it's seems like all the data are in place.

So what are I'm doing wrong? What is the best practice moving a site from Cpanel to Cpanel without WHM access?

Normally I'm using Virtalmin, there I just hit backup on the source, then restore on the target. And that's it.

Comments

• farnoxfarnox Member

A white site on a PHP script usually means that there was a fatal PHP error but error reporting is turned off. Take a look into your error.log to see what's wrong.

Thanked by 1myhken
  • vpsGODvpsGOD Member, Host Rep

enable wordpress debug function and check the php errors

https://codex.wordpress.org/Debugging_in_WordPress

Thanked by 1myhken
  • You may have to check logs. It might be that PHP version is different on the 2 servers.

Thanked by 2myhken GamerTech24
  • You may have to check logs. It might be that PHP version is different on the 2 servers.

Thanked by 1GamerTech24
  • myhkenmyhken Member

@momin90909 said:
    You may have to check logs. It might be that PHP version is different on the 2 servers.

HostGator server uses PHP 5.4.45 and the new server 5.5.35

Have not checked the log yet.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

When I moved sites it's most often cache plugins that causes problems.
    Wp-super cache saves the actual path and if the username is different, so is the path.

Most often it helps to disable all plugins (renaming folders help if admin is bot accessible) and then enable one by one to see which one causing all problems.

Thanked by 2myhken GamerTech24
  • Checklist :
    1. Delete the cache folder in "wp-content" directory, if any.
    2. Disable any caching plugin if installed (best if disabled on the original site before taking the database backup). Can be done at destination as well if you can login to the admin panel.
    3. Enable wordpress debug (in wp-config.php) and see if throws any error.

This should cover the basics.

• WHTWHT Member

Did you copied the .htaccess file also? You have to tick show hidden files under settings to be able to see it.

Thanked by 1GamerTech24
  • justvmjustvm Member, Patron Provider

Have you try the Cpanel Copy an Account From Another Server With an Account Password feature, it will create a full backup (cpmov) and will restore in the new server the difference is that you will backup not only your data but the whole folder and configuration as well.
    Try that if does not work take a look on the logs

Thanked by 1myhken
  • @vpsrus said:
    Have you try the Cpanel Copy an Account From Another Server With an Account Password feature, it will create a full backup (cpmov) and will restore in the new server the difference is that you will backup not only your data but the whole folder and configuration as well.

Don't you need root/access to WHM for that?

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran

if you don't have root/whm access, wouldn't it be easier to just ask web host to use pkgacct to package up your account for transfer and restore on other server ?

do you have ssh access at all ?

• i move cpanel to cpanel twice a week or so. Last blank page didn't run without ioncube loader, another was missing a php extension.

It can be anything, most likely in the logs

• justvmjustvm Member, Patron Provider

@doghouch said:

@vpsrus said:

Don't you need root/access to WHM for that?

yes, you will need but he can login to his cPanel go to backup and make a full backup this will create a cpmov then download to a local desktop if he has no access to SSH and upload to his home and ask the new provider to restore the backup

Thanked by 1myhken
  • myhkenmyhken Member

eva2000 said: do you have ssh access at all ?

It's a shared webhosting account at Hostgator, so no WHM or root (SSH) access.

Thank you for all the help so far. I think I just wait to Monday before I do any more work on this. Will try what I can try that you all have mention. And I will be back asking more questions if it do not work. Have a nice weekend.

• sonicsonic Veteran

You should disable all plugins before compressing files. Cache plugins is the most reason makes blank page after transfering.

Thanked by 1myhken
  • HybridHybrid Member
    edited May 2017

1- delete cache.
    2- make sure .htaccess was copied.
    3- check logs or enable debug mode for the error.
    4- start disabling plugins one by one

Thanked by 1myhken
  • @WHT said:
    Did you copied the .htaccess file also? You have to tick show hidden files under settings to be able to see it.

if he zipped the public_html directory, then all files (hidden or not), would be copied.

Now if he only zipped the contents (by clicking "Select all") without enabling "show hidden files", then it would be an issue.

Thanked by 1myhken
  • Try to delete cache folder in wp-content and then restart your process again or use backup plugin the install new wordpress then restore the backup

• DanielNUDanielNU Member, Host Rep

Wordpress plugins like BackupBuddy or Duplicator can be very convenient for something like this. On the other hand, I realize a lot of people don't like using plugins if you can do it without them.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

Let me know if you need any help. I have migrated thousands of cPanel accounts. Just PM me if needed.

Thanked by 1myhken