Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's the Softlayer' bandwith made of?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What's the Softlayer' bandwith made of?

Of fairies and unicorns?

Softlayer

I can understand it being more expensive than the average, but $2.000???

Comments

• Heh, is 33TB of BW cheaper than that?

• IonSwitchIonSwitch Member, Host Rep

They have a VERY premium network that isn't oversold. That being said, their pricing went up about 5x since 2015 or so. They used to also include 20TB standard with their plans prior to that ;)

• PlioserPlioser Member

@IonSwitch_Nick said:
    They have a VERY premium network that isn't oversold.

But 100 Mbps are 100 Mbps, and Kimsufi is giving me 100Mbps (rock solid) for 5 euros.

• ihadpihadp Member

@IonSwitch_Nick said:
    They have a VERY premium network that isn't oversold. That being said, their pricing went up about 5x since 2015 or so. They used to also include 20TB standard with their plans prior to that ;)

Their network isn't that "premium" and certainly not worth the cost they are asking publicly.I have worked with them extensively over the years on projects ranging from $5K/month to $100K/month...when you get outside US & EU their network really goes to shit quickly compared to a lot of other vendors out there.

• IonSwitchIonSwitch Member, Host Rep

@ihadp said:

@IonSwitch_Nick said:

Their network isn't that "premium" and certainly not worth the cost they are asking publicly.I have worked with them extensively over the years on projects ranging from $5K/month to $100K/month...when you get outside US & EU their network really goes to shit quickly compared to a lot of other vendors out there.

I didn't say it was worth it, I said it was premium. More premium and less oversold than Kimsfui, very good latency in the US, EU, and Australia. Unlimited private network transport is a HUGE + for some, makes up for a lot of the cost. A HK-> West Coast Wave probably costs them tens of thousands per month.

@Plioser said:

@IonSwitch_Nick said:
    They have a VERY premium network that isn't oversold.

But 100 Mbps are 100 Mbps, and Kimsufi is giving me 100Mbps (rock solid) for 5 euros.

100Mbps to something local, peering with OVH, or on net with one of their providers maybe. Not even factoring in latency, speed when it comes to most of the internet is much less important than latency is. (At least for content consumption that isn't high bandwidth.) I'm not trying to hate on OVH or anything, they pull off a decent service at a great price, I'm just saying there is more and better out there.

• PlioserPlioser Member

100Mbps to something local, peering with OVH, or on net with one of their providers maybe.

Of course, I would like to suposse Softlayer' network it's absolutelly better than Kimsufi' in every aspect, but price is completely insane.

I tried today with Kimsufi -> Linode Frankfurt and Kimsufi -> DO London and give me around 94 Mbps both ways, more than acceptable for me.

• Its overpriced some providers just use the word premium for hype loads of other providers have peer with better carriers than softlayer and have a better pricing structure.

• BopieBopie Member
    edited May 2017

@KeKe said:
    Its overpriced some providers just use the word premium for hype loads of other providers have peer with better carriers than softlayer and have a better pricing structure.

And then some "providers" just up and leave you with no network what so ever, or even hardware for that fact

Thanked by 2Rhys ElliotJ
  • At $2,000 a month for 100 Mbps it better be made of unicorn horns and angle tiers!
    http://bgp.he.net/AS36351

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • I agree this price very high, but Softlayer target to Enterprise Customer not LowEnd.
    When ThePlanet.Com still alive, the price isn't insane as they are acquired by Softlayer.

• quickquick Member
    edited May 2017

It is made out of unicorn poop

Totally overpriced tho

• rEDrED Member

we are not their target audience, big corps with deep pockets are.

Thanked by 1DigitalFyre
  • FoulFoul Member

I have two active dedicated servers with SL with the 20TB Bandwidth, They're both going strong. If you have an active service with them back when they offered the 20tb, and if you order a new service the 20TB Option is there for no charge, instead of the 500GB.

• DigitalFyreDigitalFyre Member
    edited May 2017

rED said: we are not their target audience, big corps with deep pockets are.

Back in 2008~2012 they were more affordable, but bandwidth was at 2TB/mo. They were more "small business friendly" back then. The IBM acquisition turned them into a "for big corp only" provider. You can still get "cheaper" SL Servers through some of their resellers with more bandwidth, but you're still going to pay an arm and a leg for it.

But yeah... they are overpriced.

Thanked by 1Plioser
  • Nobody ever got fired for choosing Softlayer /IBM.

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited May 2017

We have one server in Asia from Softlayer. The bandwidth is even more expensive there but its simply superior compared to OVH routing for example.

As for the prices on the website, nobody orders via it. They are just for reference to negotiate ur prices down with sales rep on livechat. If you spend time chatting for 10min you can easily get 40-60% off the server + additional stuff like extra bandwidth or disks. They will create quote based on what you agreed and mail it to you with payment links.

Only an idiot would buy directly from their websites with the reference price. Good way to get extra off their prices is to say that you wish to test their service first and then probly buy more servers if you are happy with them.

At the end you can even add some extra request like 2TB more bandwidth and call it "a dealbreaker" since whatever they agreeded on, they will always go for an extra mile. You can even use payment cycles (3 months vs 1 month) to show youre worth of their time to go for an extra mile.

• WilliamWilliam Member

stefeman said: We have one server in Asia from Softlayer. The bandwidth is even more expensive there but its simply superior compared to OVH routing for example.

Pls. Stop comparing SL with OVH? Especially in Asia? OVH Asia relies on HKIX/SGIX and similar mostly, SL on transit.

SG.GS is much better to compare to and far cheaper than SL still.

SL also charges you 2k for 100Mbit in US/EU afaik, which makes even less sense.

Even they switch to Rackspace and similar in this times. SLs advantage with IBM was and is now availability of more locations (eg. MX) but Rackspace is simply cheaper and more customer friendly especially on custom hardware (eg. 40G NICs).

Rackspace is major HP user, SL should be now mostly IBM, as all is Intel anyway this is the same crap however ultimately, could be Tyan also for all i care.

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited May 2017

@William said:

stefeman said: We have one server in Asia from Softlayer. The bandwidth is even more expensive there but its simply superior compared to OVH routing for example.

Pls. Stop comparing SL with OVH? Especially in Asia? OVH Asia relies on HKIX/SGIX and similar mostly, SL on transit.

Even they switch to Rackspace and similar in this times. SLs advantage with IBM was and is now availability of more locations (eg. MX) but Rackspace is simply cheaper and more customer friendly especially on custom hardware (eg. 40G NICs).

Rackspace is major HP user, SL should be now mostly IBM, as all is Intel anyway this is the same crap however ultimately, could be Tyan also for all i care.

You seem to hate SL for some reason.. I wonder why is that? :P Comparing those two is rather good since they are polar opposites in terms of support and peering.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited May 2017

stefeman said: You seem to hate SL for some reason.. I wonder why is that? :P

I do not. I am also SL customer.

20$/Mbit is not justified in any of their offered locations outside of Asia, and even there only due to/if you use direct China.

• ihadpihadp Member
    edited May 2017

@William said:

[stefeman said] no(/discussion/comment/2209083/#Comment_2209083): We have one server in Asia from Softlayer. The bandwidth is even more expensive there but its simply superior compared to OVH routing for example.

They are 100% Supermicro.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited May 2017

ihadp said: They are 100% Supermicro.

Who? Rackspace? My HP boxes do have very much HP HW for that, and the offers contain a lot of HP part numbers....

SL? Yea, why not, SM is cheap. IBM does not own Lenovo anymore anyway. Probably easier to maintain existing also and get new HW implemented.

• jenkkijenkki Member

That only business to sell BW by portions, way to get more money for less, nothing more than, if look to Swedish table, pay more for it.

• It’s like you driving a Hyundai car, and walking to the mercedes benz’s office, and find out the cheapest car there is probably 5 times of your budget, and you shout at the manager, why the hell it’s so expensive, it just a car!

Yes, on the Spec. it’s 100Mbps or 1G port, but it’s not as same as any other DC, I think every DC got their own special features, might fits for others but maybe just not your type.

Anyway, they are target on Enterprise customer, and if you or anyone want to add some allowance to your traffic in SoftLayer, PM me.