Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Providers: It's time to fire your support agents. OVH Chatbot is OpenSource now.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Providers: It's time to fire your support agents. OVH Chatbot is OpenSource now.

stefemanstefeman Member
edited May 2017 in General

Make way for the robots! ( @WSS ) Being a hosting provider has never been easier than it is now.

https://github.com/ovh-ux/ovh-chatbot

Comments

• CartmanCartman Member

Why not update your previous thread? https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/111366/ovh-is-developing-an-ai-customer-support-agent

Or atleast ask staff to update the OP for you and bump it with a new comment?

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited May 2017

@Cartman said:
    Why not update your previous thread? https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/111366/ovh-is-developing-an-ai-customer-support-agent

Or atleast ask staff to update the OP for you and bump it with a new comment?

That was OVH developing something behind closed doors, this one is about released fully open source chatbox software. They don't really fit in the same thread.

I don't mind if the admins merge the other thread onto this, as long as the title and OP of this thread remains since it's more up to date.

Then again, I doubt @Jarland will run out of disk space due my decision to seperate the topics. But you wouldn't care would you? Being a backseat mod is way more interesting for you lol.

• CartmanCartman Member

100%

• DamianDamian Member
    edited May 2017

Also known as: couldn't get enough of OVH's spotty and condescending support!? Well, prepare yourself for AUTOMATED spotty and condescending support!

Thanked by 2cassa imok
  • IonSwitchIonSwitch Member, Host Rep

I have always hated automated support bots, especially when they get in the way of talking to a real person... I can see OVH's bad support getting even worse with this thing.

Thanked by 2doghouch Pwner
  • @IonSwitch_Nick said:
    I have always hated automated support bots, especially when they get in the way of talking to a real person... I can see OVH's bad support getting even worse with this thing.

Call to OVH:

Robot: Thank you for calling. Press or say 1 for Eng...

Me: ONE

Robot: Please wait while we transfer you to a "live" agent.

Robot: Hello and thx 4 call. Press 1 for English."

Me: (click)

• IonSwitchIonSwitch Member, Host Rep

@doghouch said:

@IonSwitch_Nick said:

Call to OVH:

Isn't that how it already is without the chat bot? And even the little English you do get is heavily Quebecian and very low-quality phone sound.

Thanked by 1JahAGR
  • @IonSwitch_Nick said:

@doghouch said:

@IonSwitch_Nick said:

Call to OVH:

Isn't that how it already is without the chat bot? And even the little English you do get is heavily Quebecian and very low-quality phone sound.

I was referring to it being really bad because it was asking me the same question multiple times.

But yeah, the support is comprised of (essentially) non-native English agents.

• YuraYura Member

@doghouch said:

>

But yeah, the support is comprised of (essentially) non-native English agents.

Playing the devil's advocate

Why would French company with data centers primarily in France and Canada have to be comprised mostly of Native English speakers? One could argue OVH gone global and English is a global language. But that doesn't really negate them being first and foremost native Francophones. English is not the most widely spoken language or the only global language. At this rate we would have to expect any "international company" to emply Chinese, English, Spanish, Russian, French and Arabic native speakers for support (official UN languages). This is unrealistic. The most balanced approach would be to have local native support for each region of their services being offered in.
    .fr/.ca - French, .ie/.com/.au - English, .pl - Polish, ...

But then is it what really happens in the world? Most American companies outsource their support lines to non native English speakers in non English speaking countries. I think that is a more reprehensible than French employees speaking French and imperfect English. OVH does have English speaking workers and I believe their rep here @MaikoB is a good example for that.

I have not contacted their .com or .ie offices and someone who spoke to them, should know if people their are local or not.

Thanked by 1MaikoB
  • @Yura I was only pointing out that it's difficult to communicate with them. If I only spoke English, I wouldn't be able to talk to a company that relies on international customers.

I'm not trying to badmouth them, but some support reps get to the point where they're using "Frenglish."

• YuraYura Member

@doghouch, I too get frustrated at times when I fail to understand what OVH/Online support or knowledgebase meant. That's a problem. In my previous post I tried to look at it objectively, reason my way around it and broaden the look to include companies who are English speaking and have primarily English speaking audience but cut costs by outsourcing customer facing support. Is OVH really that bad in comparison with them? I don't know.

@doghouch said:
    @Yura If I only spoke English, I wouldn't be able to talk to a company that relies on international customers.

Sorry, but this sentence I don't really understand.

• @Yura Whoops, I messed up a copy &a paste :(

Was writing it in the rain, sowwy

Thanked by 1Yura
  • Yura said: Playing the devil's advocate

My issue with OVH is that they don't care. They are a huge company with many international customers, yet there are lots of missing translations in the control panel. I know that French schools don't teach English properly, but if they aren't able to hire a translator for a few labels, that spells "fuck you" to me so they're not getting my money, simple as that.

• sinsin Member

@IonSwitch_Nick said:

@doghouch said:

@IonSwitch_Nick said:

Call to OVH:

I've gotten support people that speak good English and are easy to understand on the North American phone #...the problem is I always get people that just pass me on to someone else who passes me on to another and so on.

Thanked by 1doghouch
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Yura said: Why would French company with data centers primarily in France and Canada have to be comprised mostly of Native English speakers?

No one really cares if they're native or not - as long as their English is intelligible.

Why English? Market share.

Yura said:One could argue OVH gone global and English is a global language. But that doesn't really negate them being first and foremost native Francophones. English is not the most widely spoken language or the only global language.

Actually, it is. What else would you posit as an alternative in IT?

It's actually the 2nd most widely spoken language after Mandarin Chinese. Even that is a bit bogus because Mandarin isn't one monolithic language...any English speaker can understand virtually any dialect, but this isn't true for Mandarin.

Outside of Asia, Mandarin Chinese usage is virtually nonexistent. OTOH, English is very widely spoken outside of Asia, and also within Asia.

English also been the de facto language for IT for 60+ years.

Yura said:At this rate we would have to expect any "international company" to emply Chinese, English, Spanish, Russian, French and Arabic native speakers for support (official UN languages).

No one cares about which languages are "official" UN languages except the UN. And no one really cares about the UN except the UN.

But then is it what really happens in the world? Most American companies outsource their support lines to non native English speakers in non English speaking countries. I think that is a more reprehensible than French employees speaking French and imperfect English.

I don't understand the difference:

First scenario you describe: Non-native speaker who speaks English as a second language.

Second scenario you describe: Non-native speaker who speaks English as a second language.

Neither are acceptable if the speaker's second language skills aren't good. If they're good, no one cares where they are.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

"Represent all the modules about bot's answers and her specific type with an intention already given"

So, it's a fembot...

• MaikoBMaikoB Member

@Yura said:

>

The most balanced approach would be to have local native support for each region of their services being offered in.
    .fr/.ca - French, .ie/.com/.au - English, .pl - Polish, ...

That's what we are doing. Almost all subsidiary is getting their local support. OVH don't outsource. i.e, I'm currently in Melbourne training our local support team for AUS and NZ.

OVH does have English speaking workers and I believe their rep here @MaikoB is a good example for that.

Thanks! :)

I have not contacted their .com or .ie offices and someone who spoke to them, should know if people their are local or not.

They are. FI, CA FR, CA EN, CZ, DE, ES, FI, FR, IE, NL, IT, LT, MA, PT, PL, SN, TN, UK, AUS / NZ ; they all have local support team.

We will have a local US team with the launch of OVH US.

And Canada is doing the follow-the-sun support for all subsidiary, H24. If you call at midnight the French support, you will be redirected to the Canada. Same for all office actually.

I'm sad to read that some of you got a bad experience with one of our support team and I apologise for that. We work everyday to get the best of our team and to give you the best support experience. If you have any issues, please let me know and I'll check if I can help !

Thanked by 3luissousa Yura Fries