Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

OpenVPN IPv6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OpenVPN IPv6

nobizzlenobizzle Member

Hi,

I know, it has been discussed quite a few times, but I think there is not what I'm looking for.

I'm running an OpenVPN Server 2.4.1 on a VM on my home network, which works fine for IPv4.

I was a little bit surprised, that the Public WLAN I use at my company doesnt have a IPv6 config yet. Also my mobile provider does not give me a valid IPv6 address.

I recently ordered a dedi at hetzner. My aim was to use multiple VMs which can be directly connected to via IPv6.

My provider (TElekom, Germany) gives me an IPv4 and IPv6 in dual stack.

My question is (examples preferred) what has to be configured to get the following result:

I connect to the OpenVPN at my home via normal IPv4 address. The OpenVPN server then routes the traffic to whereever it is needed. In fact, I want to "get in" via IPv4 and get out with both IPV4 and IPv6.

I hope you understand what I want to achieve and it is possible.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Comments

• sibapersibaper Member

If your provider give at least /112 IPv6 you'll able to used both ipv4 and ipv6 for browsing even if your home only had IPv4.

For example I used UK Linode as my VPN, my ISP only offer nat-ed IPv4. since Linode offer /64 IPv6 by request I split these /64 to /112 for my VPN tunnel. I able to connect to both ipv4 only or ipv6 only or dual stack IPv4/IPv6 website.

Here how to do it http://archive.li/sUwYN taken from nyr website

• nobizzlenobizzle Member
    edited May 2017

thank you.

I'm not quite sure if i get you right...

the situation is, that my provider "telekom" gives me both ipv4 AND ipv6 address. Just one I guess. I don't need "internal" IPv6 support. My aim is just to have an valid "internet" IPv6 address whenever I use my OpenVPN installation at home.

i just found this one online:

(https://datenknoten.me/blog/mein-vpn-setup)

server 10.8.0.0 255.255.255.0 server-ipv6 2a01:4f8:200:2265:4::1/112 push "route 192.168.122.0 255.255.255.0" push "redirect-gateway def1 bypass-dhcp" push "route-ipv6 2000::/3" push "dhcp-option DNS 192.168.122.9"

the guy in the tutorial uses a hetzner server for openvpn. Of course this IPv6 address is static, which I don't have at Telekom. Whenever i reconnect on my router I automatically receive a new IPv6 address.