Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Easiest way to install Apache 2.4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Easiest way to install Apache 2.4

Hello,

I am looking for the easiest way to install apache 2.4 and all dependencies and modules. I would like to stay away from installing from source.

I have seen tutorials and forum posts about using ppa and launchpad.net, nothing seems to work.

Anyway I can just run apt-get install apache2 and it will get the latest 2.4 version automatically?

Comments

• MunMun Member

May I ask why Apache? Nginx would be far better to use most likely.

Mun

• tortautortau Member

No, because Apache 2.4 changes quite a few things, including the vhost configuration. I remember not being able to start up my web server after upgrading...

Not to mention there are a lot of dependencies (mod_* stuff) that is referenced to apache so if you find a repo with apache2.4, it has to provide all the other dependencies or hell will break loose the next time you try to upgrade your packages.

• azizmbazizmb Member
    edited June 2013

By default, doing apt-get install apache2 on Debian will get you version 2.2. Version 2.4 is an unstable package on Debian (can be accessed by changing your sources from stable to unstable, however, do note, packages are marked as unstable for a reason). As @Mun said, why not use nginx? It performs much better and usually the better choice.

• marshallfordmarshallford Member
    edited June 2013

I mainly run WordPress, and several apps require .htaccess support, like my security plugin.

Plus I've talked to multiple sysadmin's that claim the tiny speed trade-off is worth apache's easy to use configs and a2ensite commands.

I have used this vps setup script, but I found nginx's configs where a pain.

I would consider switching, but apache is so easy.

As for Apache 2.4 being unstable, I've heard from websites and videos that 2.4 has been in development for over a year now and that 2.2 only gets security fixes now. 2.4 is the main focus and apparently is fine to use.

NOTE: This is all based off what I have read, I am not an expert. Please tell me and prove to me why nginx is better.

• azizmbazizmb Member

I haven't read much about Apache's 2.2 & 2.4 specifically, but nginx gives more than just a speed boost, it will save you much more overhead (uses much less memory on site's with a large number of visitors).

What plugins are you using for WordPress that require Apache? I have my WordPress sites functioning fine on nginx. For me, WP Super Cache gives a warning about apache not being configured, but still works fine because the nginx rules are set fine.

• Well I use bulletproof security which relys on htaccess to protect various folder and files like wp-config.php. Plus it blocks all files that start with ".". Quoting from the website: BulletProof Security protects your WordPress website against XSS, RFI, CRLF, CSRF, Base64, Code Injection and SQL Injection hacking attempts.

• @marshallford said:
    Well I use bulletproof security which relys on htaccess to protect various folder and files like wp-config.php. Plus it blocks all files that start with ".". Quoting from the website: BulletProof Security protects your WordPress website against XSS, RFI, CRLF, CSRF, Base64, Code Injection and SQL Injection hacking attempts.

You can do the latter with naxsi/modsecurity nginx; the former with some basic nginx rewrite rules.

• naxsi looks neat, but it adds another layer of confusing configs to the mix.

• awsonawson Member
    wget http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/a/apache2/apache2_2.4.4-6_amd64.deb
    sudo dpkg -i apache2_2.4.4-6_amd64.deb

• smibasmiba Member
    edited June 2013

wget http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/a/apache2/apache2_2.4.4-6_amd64.deb

sudo dpkg -i apache2_2.4.4-6_amd64.deb

apt-get install php5-gd php5-mysql php5-cli php5-xmlrpc php5-sqlite php5-mysqli php5-mcrypt php5-curl php5-json php5-common

(Yes, the first 2 lines where stolen from @awson :P)
    Try this, it will install apache2 and the most populair php extentions.

• marshallfordmarshallford Member
    edited June 2013

I run 32 bit machine to save ram, I am guessing the urls need to be changed.

• awsonawson Member

@marshallford said:
    I run 32 bit machine to save ram, I am guessing the urls need to be changed.

http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/a/apache2/apache2_2.4.4-6_i386.deb

• @marshallford I would go with your OP, use aptitude