Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

UK VPS - KVM Preferred
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

UK VPS - KVM Preferred

I'm looking at what's available at the moment before renewing with my current provider, I've had a good 11 months from them and may just renew but it doesn't hurt to see what's available :)

Requirements:

30GB disk space
2GB Ram (Minimum, would like more)
4 CPU cores (fair share) or 1 decent dedicated core.
1TB Bandwidth

I currently run a football forum, we do have busy spikes (mainly on match days for about an hour after the game ends, we've never caused problems for others on the node though whether that be when hosted at Linode, dediserve or our current host fiberoute) so being able to have the ability to use more CPU resources without being punished is required, from looking at our graphs and sar stats we very rarely max out 1 CPU, But it has been known to happen and other hosts have always coped.

Budget is up to £70 for the year.

Thanked by 1dediserve

Comments

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

Hello,

If you can work with OpenVZ, we have some deals in London, with great connectivity. Pure RAID10 SSD Arrays, Xeon E3v5 CPU. You can check them out here: https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/111270/alphavps-spring-specials-with-huge-discounts-bg-de-uk-ny-la-fl-kvm-in-bg-restocked#latest

Alex

Thanked by 1alegeek
  • alegeekalegeek Member

@AlexBarakov said:
    Hello,

If you can work with OpenVZ, we have some deals in London, with great connectivity. Pure RAID10 SSD Arrays, Xeon E3v5 CPU. You can check them out here: https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/111270/alphavps-spring-specials-with-huge-discounts-bg-de-uk-ny-la-fl-kvm-in-bg-restocked#latest

Alex

Those are pretty cheap, what's stance on CPU usage?

• PioHostPioHost Member

Hi alegeek,

We have some limited stock left on our KVM deals in bristol, Please feel free to mesage me if you have any questions about our business or offers.

https://piohost.co.uk/cart.php?gid=16

These are KVM and dedicated CPU

Thanked by 1alegeek
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
    edited May 2017

One of our Customers will certainly be happy to help : )

@AlexBarakov @AlexanderM @AnthonySmith @QuadHost

That's on our great MPLS-TE, Juniper based network (MX480, MX240, MX104- TRIO Chipset based fabric) with geographically dispersed routing sites across London. See http://bgp.he.net/AS62240. We transit with Level3, NTT, GTT, Telia, Cogent, have a premium private peering to Liberty Global EU Networks (Virgin Media included) and peer with likes of BT, Sky UK, TalkTalk, AA ISP and others via LINX.

Thanked by 2alegeek AlexanderM

alegeek said: Those are pretty cheap, what's stance on CPU usage?

Fair share of the E3-1240v5 cores. As long as you don't abuse it, you will be fine. Of course, you should always keep in mind that these are shared cores, so bursting to 100% for a long period of time is not allowed. You will, of course, receive a proper warning.

Hosted on @Clouvider 's awesome network. If interested furhterly, I can send a test IP.

Alex

Thanked by 2Clouvider alegeek
  • alegeekalegeek Member

@Clouvider said:

That's on our great MPLS-TE, Juniper based network with geographically dispersed routing sites across London. See http://bgp.he.net/AS62240. We transit with Level3, NTT, GTT, Telia, Cogent, have a premium private peering to Liberty Global EU Networks (Virgin Media included) and peer with likes of BT, Sky UK, TalkTalk, AA ISP and others via LINX.

Your peering with BT, is that the whole group or just the retail arm? Had a quick scan and couldn't see Plusnet.

edited May 2017

@alegeek said:

@Clouvider said:

That's on our great MPLS-TE, Juniper based network with geographically dispersed routing sites across London. See http://bgp.he.net/AS62240. We transit with Level3, NTT, GTT, Telia, Cogent, have a premium private peering to Liberty Global EU Networks (Virgin Media included) and peer with likes of BT, Sky UK, TalkTalk, AA ISP and others via LINX.

Your peering with BT, is that the whole group or just the retail arm? Had a quick scan and couldn't see Plusnet.

BT Network AS2856. AS6871 (Plus.net) is directly fed from 2856 so I assume so. Can send you a traceroute if you have a test IP ?

Example one I found on bgp.he.net:

LINX-VRF.inet.0: 205599 destinations, 410192 routes (205595 active, 4 holddown, 0 hidden)
    + = Active Route, - = Last Active, * = Both

147.147.0.0/16     *[BGP/170] 2d 04:08:14, MED 0, localpref 202
                          AS path: 2856 6871 I, validation-state: unverified
                        > to 195.66.224.11 via irb.3001

Thanked by 1alegeek
  • alegeekalegeek Member

Thanks, I'll shoot my current over via PM.

• alegeekalegeek Member

@AlexBarakov said:

alegeek said: Those are pretty cheap, what's stance on CPU usage?

Fair share of the E3-1240v5 cores. As long as you don't abuse it, you will be fine. Of course, you should always keep in mind that these are shared cores, so bursting to 100% for a long period of time is not allowed. You will, of course, receive a proper warning.

Hosted on @Clouvider 's awesome network. If interested furhterly, I can send a test IP.

Alex

Totally understand the stance with fair share, my current plan is fair share and we haven't caused issues for our neighbours :)

@alegeek said:

Yep, directly via LINX -> BT -> Plusnet =)

Thanked by 1alegeek

alegeek said: Thanks :)

Totally understand the stance with fair share, my current plan is fair share and we haven't caused issues for our neighbours :)

In that case, we will be a great fit! Let me know if you have any questions. :)

Thanked by 2Clouvider vmhaus
  • @alegeek said:

To my knowledge most of OpenReach traffic goes through BTs ASN. Only exception I have seen is TalkTalk. Anyway plusnet is owned by BT

• seanhoseanho Member

For a 2G KVM in UK, my first choice would be @AnthonySmith; he'll take care of you.

Thanked by 1AnthonySmith
  • GamerTech24GamerTech24 Member
    edited May 2017

Zare has a bunch of DDoS protected offers in London, Bristol, etc in the UK

https://zare.com/

You need to register for an account and add about 2-3 pounds of credit to your account and you can try out their VPS/Cloud server options that way. I've used them before when I wanted to have a VPS in England and it was pretty decent and DDoS protection is always a plus, something you can't get with Vultr in the same location as of now.

Thanked by 1alegeek
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited May 2017

Running KVM and OpenVZ Servers on Clouviders network for a while now, it really is top notch.

I have marked up a few of the KVM plans below (Only 2 cores on the OpenVZ plans), you can test the network here: http://lg1.inceptionhosting.com

4 CPU Cores (Equal Share)
    2 GB Ram - DDR4
    40 GB Disk space - HW Raid 10 SAS + SSD Cache
    2000 GB Bandwidth @ 1 gbit (shared)
    1 x IPv4 address
    1 x /64 IPv6

€7.00 p/month order link

3 GB Ram - DDR4
    60 GB Disk space  - HW Raid 10 SAS + SSD Cache
    2500 GB Bandwidth @ 1 gbit (shared)
    1 x IPv4 address
    1 x /64 IPv6

€10.00 p/month order link

4 GB Ram - DDR4
    80 GB Disk space  - HW Raid 10 SAS + SSD Cache
    3000 GB Bandwidth @ 1 gbit (shared)
    1 x IPv4 address
    1 x /64 IPv6

€12.00 p/month order link

CPU policy for transparency:

In any 24 hour period you may use up to 60% of 1 core or equivalent over all cores, 
    for example if you have 2 CPU cores that would be considered abuse at over 30% 
    use on each cores for 24 hours, you may not burst to 100% of 2 cores or equivalent 
    over more cores for more than 1 hour.

Thanked by 2alegeek Clouvider
  • pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

Can do Gravelines France if you're happy to expand your location by a tad. May also be worth looking at some hosted web plans, like the one Online does.

• alegeekalegeek Member

@pbgben said:
    Can do Gravelines France if you're happy to expand your location by a tad. May also be worth looking at some hosted web plans, like the one Online does.

I'd just go direct with OVH in that location :)

Thanks though.

• We can help in Sheffield UK, if this is of interest to you drop me a PM and I can see what we can come up with.

@GenjiSwitchPls said:

@alegeek said:

To my knowledge most of OpenReach traffic goes through BTs ASN. Only exception I have seen is TalkTalk. Anyway plusnet is owned by BT

???

Open Reach is not an ISP. They provide last mile (or more) between the ISP using their copper network and the nearest NNI. Neither Sky, nor TalkTalk, nor AA ISP, nor Enta nor Zen uses BT ASN, every one of them has their own network. Plusnet uses BT ASN since it's owned by BT, it's a different brand for them.

edited May 2017

@ethancedrik said:
    DDoS protection is always a plus, something you can't get with Vultr in the same location as of now.

For the avoidance of doubt, AS62240 is also protected, by NTT, with meaningful (and real) capacity. We're not here to harbour DDoS magnets though.