Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question About EU-US Web Server Load Balancing
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Question About EU-US Web Server Load Balancing

MetallicGlossMetallicGloss Member, Host Rep

Hello All!

After researching online for quite a while, I am yet to find a solution to a problem I currently need to address, so I am looking to reach out to see if any of you have knowledge if this is possible and if it is, how?

The issue I am currently trying to sort: EU - US load balancing of a web server with a failover solution.

My company currently has a web server located in the UK, which, don't get me wrong runs fine, however, connections to the US is rather slow for visitors and for downloads. In addition to that, everything hinges on one server which is why I guess most people now use a cloud system. I am trying to find a solution to load balancing between two servers, one in the UK and one in the US, with the ability to shove full traffic to one if the other were to fail.
A system I have seen coming for failover is JetClone, however I haven't seen one for load balancing.

If any of you are able to give me some suggestions or information on how to go about doing this I would be very grateful. Also, if this isn't yet possible let me know too!

Thank you!

Comments

• teamaccteamacc Member

Ask @francisco about anycast

• MetallicGlossMetallicGloss Member, Host Rep

I will if I can get in touch - also Anycast doesn't give failover between 2 dedicated servers which are mirroring each other in content wise

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Geo DNS load balancing. @gbshouse Piotr from Rage4 will probably be happy to help with that.

Then you just need to synchronise the backend somehow. Plenty of solutions available, and you will have definitely much more control that way than if you went with Anycast.

• vmhausvmhaus Member, Top Host, Host Rep

We have a solutions where you can have a server in Canada and one in France, both the servers are also linked up with private networking. Could then use Geo Dns to loadbalance based on visitor location.

• MakenaiMakenai Member
    edited May 2017

If you're looking for DNS based load balancing, AWS Route53 could be a good solution. You can use it also for non AWS resources (i.e use them for your existing servers instead of migrating to another provider).

Failover healthcheck

Geolocation + Failover

Maybe you could explain what exactly is your web stack like? Does it have a SQL master-slave setup (i.e master in US, slave in EU)? Do you require failover between master and slave servers?

Thank you all for chipping in!

@Clouvider said:
    Geo DNS load balancing. @gbshouse Piotr from Rage4 will probably be happy to help with that.

Then you just need to synchronise the backend somehow. Plenty of solutions available, and you will have definitely much more control that way than if you went with Anycast.

I will endeavour to get in touch - thanks for the recommendation!

@vmhaus said:
    We have a solutions where you can have a server in Canada and one in France, both the servers are also linked up with private networking. Could then use Geo Dns to loadbalance based on visitor location.

Could you contact me about that? I know there is a system which OVH provides just like that, however, we are looking for a solution for our own hardware.

@Makenai said:
    If you're looking for DNS based load balancing, AWS Route53 could be a good solution. You can use it also for non AWS resources (i.e use them for your existing servers instead of migrating to another provider).

Failover healthcheck

Geolocation + Failover

Maybe you could explain what exactly is your web stack like? Does it have a SQL master-slave setup (i.e master in US, slave in EU)? Do you require failover between master and slave servers?

I will definitely look into AWS Route53, thank you for the suggestion! As of currently, our web system is just two separate servers and was looking into getting a setup so that we can load balance - just going to be tricky to make sure the databases and everything is synced.

• cfgguycfgguy Member, Host Rep

AWS route 53 is way to go. We used rage 4 for our client earlier but route 53 has better accuracy, We used to for setting up a cdn for one of our client.

• Why can't cloudflare DNS have something like route 53 as well ugh

@ethancedrik said:
    Why can't cloudflare DNS have something like route 53 as well ugh

I already enquired with them, and good news, they do! Bad news, it is $5000+ a month as it is on their enterprise plan. Route53 seems be he the way to go, and I correct in thinking it costs $50 a month or did I not get it setup correctly?

An update for viewers attempting to find an answer to my original question.

The cheapest way I have found for what I wish is to use CloudFlare, as they recently added the option for non-business users to buy the load balancer for $5 a month.

Thanked by 2MikePT mailcheap