Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

can anyone help me with port forwarding iKoula
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

can anyone help me with port forwarding iKoula

louij2louij2 Member
edited May 2017 in Providers

Hi
I bought a dedicated server from iKoula and I am trying to port forward a port so I can access my game server. Has anyone done it before and know how to.

Comments

• YmpkerYmpker Member

Is it a managed dedicated server? What OS are you running? Usually on Linux ports would be open

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor
    edited May 2017

You purchased an unmanaged, cheap dedicated server. What do you expect? No need to open a thread calling them out for something that's on you to figure out. Do some Google'ing. You'll find your answer.

And typically, you won't have to use port forwarding anyway. Probably something funky with your game server setup.

• louij2louij2 Member

Im running Debian the port I want to use isn't open

• louij2louij2 Member

Also i've been googling for hours and haven't found one solution not calling them out just need some help?

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited May 2017

So, you just signed here and your first post ever has title "Ikoula support non existent" (sic).
    First: it is more than clear that you are incapable on handling a server. You don't know anything. Port forwarding is an easy task.
    Second: You bought an UNMANAGED service. Setting up a port is NOT something an UNMANAGED provider will do for you, nor answer a ticket like this.
    Third: Ikoula's support is fast and helpful. But only for things that have to do with an issue to the server (network problems, broken parts etc.). NOT answering about port forwarding.
    So, you should change the title from the (false) non existing to "can anybody help me please to port forward" and delete the ikoulas support part. Or else, this is a really bad start at LET community...

Thanked by 2Ikoula sabbo2001
  • louij2louij2 Member

My apologies to all!

• jvnadrjvnadr Member

louij2 said: not calling them out

Yes, you called them out both in title and in comment.

louij2 said: Im running Debian the port I want to use isn't open

I have 2 servers from ikoula, all ports are open and not blocked. How do you figure out that your's is blocked? Did you check if you have a firewall enabled? What is the port that is blocked?

• BopieBopie Member

Port forward on a dedicated server, Am I missing something or do you not have a dedicated IP? or are you trying to use a port that is blocked im so confused?

• jvnadrjvnadr Member

Give us some more details, so, we can help you

• louij2louij2 Member

I Googled port scanner and went on the first website I then searched for port 4200 to 4202 ony IP and I need them all open for a just cause 3 game server and it told me that it was closed. I have a dedicated xeon 1220-v5 16gb server from their express servers section.

• You're clearly running a server with its firewall enabled - in my own opinion or the setup is wrong for the application you're running. You should first; check if it's running a firewall, if it is either turn it off or add a rule.

• louij2louij2 Member

Thank you very much it was the Firewall had to add some exceptions to my iptables. My first server by the way!

• PieHasBeenEatenPieHasBeenEaten Member, Host Rep

Holy shit 2 hrs later! It works! I feel someone server gonna get DDOS and another thread will be opened why my server wont stay online.

• jvnadrjvnadr Member

louij2 said: it was the Firewall had to add some exceptions to my iptables

In the future, don't bash a provider if you don't have a clue on what you are doing.
    And, I think that using a dedicated server when you clearly don't know what you are doing, is dangerous in security manner. Are you sure you know how to secure a dedi? It's not rocket science but it's not that simple, either. If (and because you wrote that this is a game server, when) you get ddos'ed, your risk a termination of server and a permanent ban from the hosting provider...

Thanked by 1Frecyboy
  • louij2louij2 Member

@jvnadr said:

louij2 said: it was the Firewall had to add some exceptions to my iptables

In the future, don't bash a provider if you don't have a clue on what you are doing.
    And, I think that using a dedicated server when you clearly don't know what you are doing, is dangerous in security manner. Are you sure you know how to secure a dedi? It's not rocket science but it's not that simple, either. If (and because you wrote that this is a game server, when) you get ddos'ed, your risk a termination of server and a permanent ban from the hosting provider...

Yeah I know what to do I'll make sure I dont allow a ddos to happen thank you

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited May 2017

Giving a dedi to a total beginner is like giving a nuke to a civilian.. Theres so many ways for the server to get compromised.. The amount of damage you can do with an unmanaged dedi is ridiculous.. If you have absolutely no idea of anything, at least buy a VPS first so even if you lost control of it, your provider usually has something setup so he can minimize the fallout.

• BopieBopie Member

@louij2 "Yeah I know what to do I'll make sure I don't allow a DDoS to happen to thank you"

You don't have a choice, game servers are like magnets for DDoS, its not a case of not allowing an attack and a software firewall won't do anything, in fact, most the time unless your provider has dedicated hardware or uses something like voxility you will get your IP nulled until the attacks stop but after a while a provider will simply boot you from their network.

• IkoulaIkoula Member, Host Rep

Short message to thank people who commented here it is apreciated.

Thanked by 2Rhys Ympker