Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Web Server Stack Script for 128MB and Failed Login Attemp, is it dangerous ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Web Server Stack Script for 128MB and Failed Login Attemp, is it dangerous ?

First of all, I always see this message whenever I login to the vps.

Last failed login: Wed May 3 06:08:05 EDT 2017 from 61.177.172.10 on ssh:notty
There were 390 failed login attempts since the last successful login.

Is it affecting my vps performance ?

Second Question :
Is there an sh script to install all web server stack, that will fit and works fine on 128MB VPS. Tried the lowendbox script, it doesnt work anymore.

Comments

• sanvitsanvit Member
    1. My Orange Pi's load significantly dropped by changing SSH port, so yeah it may affect your server performance. Most of the time, this can be fixed(?) by changing SSH port since most aof the case, those brute forces are targetting random servers, not just one particular one.
  • You don't want a shell script to try to handle this. Install sshguard. It'll block these automated scan attempts long enough for them to go away.

• edited May 2017

Gampang bro..

There are several option you can do:

1. You can change SSH port. Default SSH port is 22
    2. You can disable root login, you can login using normal user then using su command to login as root.
    3. Install fail2ban, configure to ban failed login for a day or a week or a month
  • @DellDude said:
    You don't want a shell script to try to handle this. Install sshguard. It'll block these automated scan attempts long enough for them to go away.

Actually, I am not looking for a shell script to handle this. I need the shell script to install Web Server Stack.

I am asking this out of curiosity, is the failed attempt to login significantly affect the performance of the vps or not.

• If you look for LAMP or LNMP install script, you could use this: https://github.com/Mins/TuxLite

It work great on my VPS. For note, you could disable AWStat & PHPmyAdmin and varnish for your VPS

• JarryJarry Member
    edited May 2017

@yokowasis said:
    I am asking this out of curiosity, is the failed attempt to login significantly affect the performance of the vps or not.

Depends on how fast is some(one/script) trying to log-in. Sure every (half)opened ssh-connection takes some resources. As suggested above, move your sshd to higher port, and these attempts cease to exist...

• @chocolateshirt said:
    If you look for LAMP or LNMP install script, you could use this: https://github.com/Mins/TuxLite

It work great on my VPS. For note, you could disable AWStat & PHPmyAdmin and varnish for your VPS

How much RAM do you have ? I would like to try tuxlite, but for some reason I can't open its website (tuxlite.com)

• edited May 2017

@yokowasis said:

@chocolateshirt said:
    If you look for LAMP or LNMP install script, you could use this: https://github.com/Mins/TuxLite

How much RAM do you have ? I would like to try tuxlite, but for some reason I can't open its website (tuxlite.com)

Right now I am using 512 MB KVM VPS SSD. No need to open tuxlite.com website because it have been documented on github. You can read readme.md file to understand how to install and how it works

Below is my VPS memory stat using LNMP to host several sites + dns + openvpn:

choco@baubus:~$ free -h total used free shared buffers cached Mem: 494M 376M 117M 10M 35M 223M -/+ buffers/cache: 117M 376M Swap: 511M 81M 430M

• @chocolateshirt said:

@yokowasis said:

@chocolateshirt said:

Right now I am using 512 MB KVM VPS SSD. No need to open tuxlite.com website because it have been documented on github. You can read readme.md file to understand how to install and how it works

choco@baubus:~$ free -h total used free shared buffers cached Mem: 494M 376M 117M 10M 35M 223M -/+ buffers/cache: 117M 376M Swap: 511M 81M 430M

Well, I am looking for 128MB Web Server Stack. You have 512MB RAM + 512 SWAP. You have much more RAM. Thanks anyway.

• edited May 2017

@yokowasis said:

@chocolateshirt said:

@yokowasis said:

@chocolateshirt said:

Well, I am looking for 128MB Web Server Stack. You have 512MB RAM + 512 SWAP. You have much more RAM. Thanks anyway.

Lol.. You don't understand. Before used 512 MB KVM VPS, I am use 128 MB KVM VPS. This script works flawless in my 128 MB VPS. Because insuficient disk storage, I choose to move all of my data from 128 MB VPS to 512 MB VPS.

You can prove it yourself. You can blame me if 128 MB RAM is insufficient for your LNMP setup.

• Okay, thanks. I will try it.

• @yokowasis said:
    First of all, I always see this message whenever I login to the vps.

Last failed login: Wed May 3 06:08:05 EDT 2017 from 61.177.172.10 on ssh:notty
    There were 390 failed login attempts since the last successful login.

Is it affecting my vps performance ?

Second Question :
    Is there an sh script to install all web server stack, that will fit and works fine on 128MB VPS. Tried the lowendbox script, it doesnt work anymore.

Relax, within the last 24 hours, my OVH servers combined have just over 14,000 failed attempts.

• You're not the only one lol. Everytime I buy a VPS, 2/5 of them start getting brute forced right when I reinstall the OS. Always from different IPs, proxies 100%.

Changing the port (and making my password 40 characters long) seemed to fix that since I get no more requests.

https://www.abuseipdb.com/check/61.177.172.10 - Always from China I'm telling you!

• @chocolateshirt said:

@yokowasis said:

@chocolateshirt said:

@yokowasis said:

@chocolateshirt said:

Lol.. You don't understand. Before used 512 MB KVM VPS, I am use 128 MB KVM VPS. This script works flawless in my 128 MB VPS. Because insuficient disk storage, I choose to move all of my data from 128 MB VPS to 512 MB VPS.

You can prove it yourself. You can blame me if 128 MB RAM is insufficient for your LNMP setup.

I tried it. And you are right. It has very small memory foot print for a webserver. At first it took a lot of memory, it hog all of my available RAM. But after a while it took very small memory footprint.

• @yokowasis said:

@chocolateshirt said:

@yokowasis said:

@chocolateshirt said:

@yokowasis said:

@chocolateshirt said:

I tried it. And you are right. It has very small memory foot print for a webserver. At first it took a lot of memory, it hog all of my available RAM. But after a while it took very small memory footprint.

Mantep broo!!!