Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cheapest place to get a lot of CPU for nonstop video encoding (dedicated server) - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cheapest place to get a lot of CPU for nonstop video encoding (dedicated server)

2»

Comments

• williewillie Member

SSD isn't important for transcoding--HDD is fine. The i7-4790K will be around 10% faster than the Hetzner i7-3770 at best, it has less than 1/20th of the disk space even if you're lucky and get the 240gb SSD, and it costs almost twice as much. Hetzner auctions (or in some cases worldstream.nl with annual payment) really do seem to be about the best cpu deals you can get.

• @drdrake said:

@JustRefleX said:
    Time4vps

@JustRefleX said:
    dedicated resources

Very productive comment. Could've read my whole comment

• levi757levi757 Member

@willie said:
    Are you talking about the C2L? That's a genuine, dedicated, 8 core machine for 24/month, but it's an Atom C2750, not a D-1531. It's maybe 40% of the total speed of a D-1531.

Uh oh, looks like you're right, although I can't find any info on their website listing their exact specs. Not sure why I thought it was a D-1531

• levi757levi757 Member

@koby said:
    You can encode as much as you want at Scaleway, burn the cpu, I have tested, they say nothing, you can also seed torrents, they never complain.

Are you talking about their cloud VPS or their baremetal servers?

• williewillie Member

levi757 said: Not sure why I thought it was a D-1531

The "workload intensive" vps are D-1531, but the "cores" are actually threads, and they're at least partly shared except for the largest instance size.

• graphicgraphic Member

@levi757 said:
    I've read some older threads, but so far the best I've found is:

Scaleway cloud servers, 8 supposedly dedicated Xeon D-1531 cores for $24/month. I read another discussion on let indicating they aren't really dedicated? But if they wanna claim they are they can't complain when I run them 100% 24/7 ye?

Nocix 2x Xeon E5-2670 for $70/month

Is there anything else out there? I may need to encode ~5tb/video per month

Hetzner EX41. New server's coming with i7-7700. Integrated graphics HD 630.
    I've Transcoded 12 4k streams simultaneously to 720p with integrated graphics hardware acceleration. It does it like nothing.