Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Attn: Amazon Permanently locked a Cloud Drive account for "abusing" bandwidth - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Attn: Amazon Permanently locked a Cloud Drive account for "abusing" bandwidth

2»

Comments

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited May 2017

mehargags said: buy a limited package instead... or offer something more feasible on both sides.

This is why I prefer Hubic. It's limited to 10 TB and capped at 10 Mbit, but at least you can be sure these are the limits you can reach without any fear of being banned and losing everything -- unlike on all those "unlimited" services.

Thanked by 2netomx tux
  • rds100rds100 Member

rm_ said: This is why I prefer Hubic. It's limited to 10 TB and capped at 10 Mbit, but at least you can be sure these are the limits you can reach without any fear of being banned and losing everything -- unlike on all those "unlimited" services.

You can be sure that OVH will never change their mind?

rds100 said: You can be sure that OVH will never change their mind?

About what? This is the service they provide currently at this price. If they change their mind, this will be announced publicly in one form or the other, e.g. by raising the renewal price or reducing the user-visible storage/bandwidth limits. You can never be sure they will not change anything, but what's imporant is here it's all in the clear, not by a sysadmin in a back room of Amazon deciding which account to ban today.

Thanked by 2netomx Damian
  • rds100rds100 Member
    edited May 2017

@rm_ was the 10Mbps speed limit announced initially, or was it just derived by user's experiments? What is they decide to change it to 1Mbps? Not like Oles hasn't been inconsistent in his decisions before...

rds100 said: was the 10Mbps speed limit announced initially, or was it just derived by user's experiments?

It was listed from day 1 in the TOS, but was not actually enforced until a year or so later.

• YuraYura Member

It's "fair-usage" guys. Don't panic. They ban only if they think it's fair.

• @Yura said:

that is the bloody well discussion here... if they decide the fair usage, you never know when you tripped the line.

Instead of unlimited everything bullshit... they should lay of packages with simple TOS so the people know their limits.

• BochiBochi Member

@mehargags said:

@Yura said:

that is the bloody well discussion here... if they decide the fair usage, you never know when you tripped the line.

Instead of unlimited everything bullshit... they should lay of packages with simple TOS so the people know their limits.

We are in some kind of dilemma here.
    I sure agree with you in the point about the TOS but at the same time I think people should know themselves that storing massive amounts of TBs on those services and downloading them on a daily basis could by no means be the intended way of usage...
    It's the default point we are always getting to in the end: Some ruin it for everyone.

• @Bochi said: Some ruin it for everyone.

Agreed 100%

• YuraYura Member

@mehargags said:

@Yura said:

Did you try turning your sarcasm radar off and on again? ;)

I pointed out how this "fair-usage" bullshit gets rape in Amazon thread but is OK when happens in the discussions of LES providers. I should have add "Don't be a dick and Amazon won't ban you. You pay pennies and consume tons of traffic" etc.

• YuraYura Member

@Bochi said: Some ruin it for everyone.

The tragedy of the commons. 1968. Classic.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • Well no...I wasn't being sarcastic. Though I condemn the very nature of action Amazon, I do 100% agree how people abuse a "fair use" service and force providers to hard-line policies that affect the other 70-80% fair usage consumers.

Yura said: Did you try turning your sarcasm radar off and on again? ;)

Don't try going for sarcasm in a language you are not native in, to people who are not native in it either.

• YuraYura Member

@rm_ said:

Yura said: Did you try turning your sarcasm radar off and on again? ;)

Don't try going for sarcasm in a language you are not native in, to people who are not native in it either.

"Do as I say not as I do".