Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

what is the use of a 256MB RAM VPS? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

what is the use of a 256MB RAM VPS?

2»

Comments

• m3gfm3gf Member
    edited May 2017

@jcaleb said:

m3gf said: awesome , the worlds and technology is moving on huh. :D

For wordpress? Can still be done with 128mb. You just need to research

do centos 6 save more ram than 7?

should i go with 6?

honestly i am not familiar with debian/ubuntu/xxxxx .... :(

• brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate
    edited May 2017

You can run CentOS on 128 MB or even 64 MB RAM OVZ. From my experience, the biggest issue you'll have is yum running oom (which can be painful if it happens in the middle of an system upgrade).

• b6688b6688 Member

@m3gf

Go ahead and re-install with CentOS 6 32 bit Minimum. Solved all your problem as 32 bit OS use less memory than 64 bit.

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@m3gf: Since you don't sound so experienced, I think that you really should rethink your strategy. If you want to run CentOS 7 comfortably, get a VPS with more RAM, at least 1GB. There are many attractive offers around (e.g., recently from Virmach) for such VPSes. 256MB is fine for a number of uses (I have a couple of 256MB VPSes), but not for CentOS 7.

• Gamma17Gamma17 Member
    edited May 2017

256MB is more than enough for running OS itself, and a lot of services too. Just checked memory usage on KVM vm running squid, unbound, teamspeak, mumble and a couple of openvpn servers and it is below 256MB, while VM itself has 512MB:

free -m
                  total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
    Mem:            488         146          59          12         282         303
    Swap:           510           0         510

OS is centos 7.

I am also using a couple of lowendspirit VM-s with 64MB, 3proxy + unbound+openvpn there, but on those ones i had to use debian, because of already mentioned issue with yum running out of memory (on 64mb it happens even with plugins diabled).

As for running LAMP... it will definitely work with some additional configuration, but may be not worth it with all the offers around, if you value your time and just want things to work it will be easier to just get 1+Gb of ram.

• Didn't try full LAMP, but Apache2 runs fine on Debian and 64MB.

• m3gfm3gf Member

thank you , all of you .

LET is a good community . :)

so, definitely, i would like to have a 512M box instead of learning how to use debian/optimizing centos/xxxx . because i am super lazy . :)

• Yeah, LET is a great community.

• m3gfm3gf Member

@Ole_Juul said:
    Yeah, LET is a great community.

AWESOME! i install debian 7.0/64bit minimal, it only takes up 28MB ram! still 227MB available!

now i should install some fancy stuff like LNMP and shadowsocks. haha.

• @m3gf Learn how to Debian first. Secure it, update it, and go from there. Avoid anything newer than 7, because systemd sucks.

• Debian 8 x64 Minimal, install Dropbear and you'll have ~17MB RAM usage ;)

• @m3gf said:

@Ole_Juul said:
    Yeah, LET is a great community.

AWESOME! i install debian 7.0/64bit minimal, it only takes up 28MB ram! still 227MB available!

now i should install some fancy stuff like LNMP and shadowsocks. haha.

Welcome to debian world.. Lol

• siegensiegen Member

Abdussamad said: running gappiness.com on 128mb openvz. lemp stack + WP.

What do you use to install letsencrypt on 128mb vps, have swap?

I have tried but certbot stops in my vps when I install the certificate.

(Process 'cc1' reach up to more than 80% of ram capacity)

• @raindog308 said:
    You really should read the docs of the distro you use...Centos 7 requires 1GB RAM minimum.

I'm pretty sure that's just if you want to use Anaconda as the installer. The text installer will let you install it in less, and it will run in less.

• I hope you're using mariadb instead of mysql-server

• OseriOseri Member

@b6688 said:
    @Oseri

Wow, this is really unbelievable. I able to install CentOS 6 32bit with 64MB / 128MB RAM and upgrade to 6.9 by disabled the fastestmirror.

Disabling fastest mirror plugin of ‘yum’:

Thanks @b6688. I shall try this.

• jcalebjcaleb Member

m3gf said: so, definitely, i would like to have a 512M box instead of learning how to use debian/optimizing centos/xxxx . because i am super lazy . :)

I think this is a good decision. time is precious. VPS with more RAM is cheap nowadays, why spend so much effort trying to fit your needs on a small one?

• JustAMacUser said:

CentOS 7 uses a moderate amount of RAM right out of the box so as others have said you'd need to tune things quite a bit.

The difference in Linux flavors is pretty minimal so if you can get used to apt instead of yum you'll do well to switch to Debian as its memory footprint on a minimal install is just a few MBs (on OpenVZ).

A regular minimal CentOS install uses a mere 19 MB of RAM. And that is in a VM.

• jcaleb said: time is precious. VPS with more RAM is cheap nowadays, why spend so much effort trying to fit your needs on a small one?

What effort?

jgillich said: A regular minimal CentOS install uses a mere 19 MB of RAM. And that is in a VM.

And that takes what, two, clicks?

• jcalebjcaleb Member

Ole_Juul said: What effort?

the effort for the OP to solve his problem

• umm... actually with 256MB, you can run a full blown Kloxo-MR Control Panel, create reseller accout and some shit. Let alone running wordpress.

• Use CentOS 6

• jcaleb said: the effort for the OP to solve his problem

With all due respect, I don't think RAM is the problem in this case.

• aeriraerir Member

@bsdguy said:
    @m3gf

To properly run in less than 512MB or better even 1GB RAM you will need to tune the configuration, in particular for mysql.

Back to your OP question: I'm running name servers, email servers and web sites on 256MB VPSs. So the answer to your question is "pretty much everything IF one knows what one is doing".

Btw, chances are that mysql is the wrong tool anyway for small fries stuff.

May i know which email server are you running? Need to setup one for soon

• jcalebjcaleb Member

Ole_Juul said: With all due respect, I don't think RAM is the problem in this case.

I read again his first few comments.. yes you are right. he may not even know how to install stuff.

Thanked by 1Ole_Juul
  • bsdguybsdguy Member

@aerir said:

@bsdguy said:
    @m3gf

...I'm running name servers, email servers and web sites on 256MB VPSs. ...

Sure but the answer won't help you a lot (I'm not using the standard ones).

But I have a hint anyway: Have a look at the smtp server the OpenBSD guys built. Heard good things about it. Otherwise: As long as you stay away from sendmail pretty everything should be OK.

Thanked by 1aerir
  • aeriraerir Member

@bsdguy said:

@aerir said:

@bsdguy said:
    @m3gf

...I'm running name servers, email servers and web sites on 256MB VPSs. ...

Sure but the answer won't help you a lot (I'm not using the standard ones).

But I have a hint anyway: Have a look at the smtp server the OpenBSD guys built. Heard good things about it. Otherwise: As long as you stay away from sendmail pretty everything should be OK.

Alright, will research around!