Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Get me some guidance here. network woah
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Get me some guidance here. network woah

edited April 2017 in General

I have a service with a provider that I have had some strange stuff go on.

So...

The server will randomly loose connection. and I mean ALL connection to the internet.
You cant ping it and you cant tracert it from multiple networks.

Possible software issue.. well the files are pretty static as in they havent changed in awhile and without making any changes the server eventually comes back up.

SO I spent several hours. Bring a buddy of mine who worked with softlayer's routing in to check my stuff because hey maybe I'm not the best network config guy for this.

Check it out with the KVM together.. Can't get anything. All 4 network ports are showing up. 1 of which is configured and has been since the start of the server.

So after spending hours checking the config crap.... We decide to re-provision and start from scratch.
So it starts to do it. the server gets the shutdown command but gets stuck on
Requesting DHCP lease(on console). SO it never actually gets provisioned and instead reboots normally.

It continuously does this. No matter what I can do.
Alright I say fuck it lets let it sit for a few hours on this.

I come back later and see its awaiting a login on the program running on the computer thats linked to the server. cool its up I log in and try to sync it..... and down it goes again?

So what Have I not tried?

I can't reach it from the outside, verizon, comcast, cox, charter, frontier, centrylink etc all refuse to reach the server.. And the server can't ping out.

But guess what it can do?

The server can ping whats inside their network.
EX my ip is(not really) x.x.147.192 obviously not pingable
x.x147.1
x.x.147.196
x.x.147.185
x.x.146.1xx

On and on and on

So what would it mean if you can ping the internal network of a DC but you can't ping anything outside.

FYI this is a NON mission critical system, there are backups but are not needed, Everything can be lost on this server. I just want to figure what it is out.

inB4 you say ticket... Ticket is how they put the KVM on and they say its OS meh

Comments

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep

Boot into a rescue system / livecd , if you get the same problem there it isn't your OS that is the issue.

• Open up BIOS and ensure boot order that network/PXE is at the top. If it still fails to reinstall after that that tells me with the network issues you are having and the fact PXE is having DHCP that either the network cable is dead or the switch but from the sounds of things it seems upstream and not your server.

• IkoulaIkoula Member, Host Rep

Hello,

Considering you face a network issue here, on the server i would do:

1/ Check ip configuration.

2/ Can i ping external website ? Can i ping the gateway ?

3/ Traceroute from inside to outside and see where the spof is.

• cmsjr123 said: So after spending hours checking the config crap.... We decide to re-provision and start from scratch. So it starts to do it. the server gets the shutdown command but gets stuck on Requesting DHCP lease(on console). SO it never actually gets provisioned and instead reboots normally.

Looks like your DHCP server is down, and default routes are not getting setup. That's why you cannot ping outside the DC.

• bsdguybsdguy Member

Frankly, the way you describe your situation doesn't tell a lot. Even the "I can ping inside the local network" sound ambiguous.

Give us some more info, conclusive, please, and maybe we can help you. Like what OS, RAM, network config, etc.