Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Supermicro
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Supermicro

I have a supermicro X9SCL-F motherboard I'm looking to put 32GB of ram it in which ram sticks should I use? The server has 4 slots for ram should I be putting 4x8 of ram using the MBD-X9SCL-F-B, X9SCL-F, B9DRE B89 ? first server I've ever build just want to be sure I'm getting the correct ram.

Comments

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited April 2017

4x8GB - 4x16 will not work, as this is not a Skylake/v5 system.

You should use UNBUFFERED ECC DIMMs, NOT normal server ram.

It should, in theory, also boot with normal non-ECC RAM.

Don't buy RAM from Supermicro.

• @William said:
    4x8GB - 4x16 will not work, as this is not a Skylake/v5 system.

You should use UNBUFFERED ECC DIMMs, NOT normal server ram.

It should, in theory, also boot with normal non-ECC RAM.

Don't buy RAM from Supermicro.

Can you link me to any proper ram to buy preferable ebay, amazon or newg just to be sure I'm getting the correct ram I was looking on ebay and came across this http://www.ebay.com/itm/16GB-2x8GB-Memory-RAM-for-SuperMicro-MBD-X9SCL-F-B-X9SCL-F-B9DRE-B89-/280863919213?hash=item4164cb4c6d:g:QvYAAOSwN6JZAPB3 I'm not sure if that's the proper ram though.

• Sorry, i'm not using unbuffered memory - Anything ECC with support for E3 should work fine.

@francisco don't you have some E3s?

Thanked by 1ScammerProut
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

You need to use ECC UNBUFFERED, can't use REGISTERED at all.

But yes @keke, that's the right RAM. There's been a shortage on that type of RAM so the price has doubled or more.

Francisco

• @Francisco said:
    You need to use ECC UNBUFFERED, can't use REGISTERED at all.

But yes @keke, that's the right RAM. There's been a shortage on that type of RAM so the price has doubled or more.

Francisco

Thanks for the confirmation the price is a bit high yes might hinder the coming out of my e3 line up but as long as its correct I guess ill have to purchase a few dims.

• Mark_O_PoloMark_O_Polo Member
    edited April 2017

Look at Newegg. Kingston 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM ECC Unbuffered DDR3 1333 Server Memory Model KVR1333D3E9S/8G

$66/8GB stick.

My 2c, At least then you know you are buying a brand name... Kingston says it's compatible with your server board. http://www.kingston.com/us/memory/search?DeviceType=8&Mfr=SMI&Line=X9SCL+-F&Model=77402

Thanked by 1ScammerProut
  • Check the Tested Memory List (https://www.supermicro.com/support/resources/mem_exclude_DDR3_135V.cfm), and then punch the model numbers into Google, Pricewatch, Amazon, or wherever.

Since this is your first server build, buy stuff that has been tested by the OEM and is known to be compatible, or buy the parts from someone who will assemble them and do burn in testing. Most good OEMs will have a list of approved parts for each motherboard posted somewhere.

• letboxletbox Member, Patron Provider

Unfortunately you have to use DDR unbuffered otherwise the server will not posting.