Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Review of eNotch Technologies... or so i hoped it would be.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Review of eNotch Technologies... or so i hoped it would be.

tvjamestvjames Member
edited June 2013 in Reviews

At the start of May i took advantage of their WHT offer of Dual Intel L5520 72GB with 2x1TB disks, at a monthly price of $80.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1252658

Well, almost 2 months in since placing the order and i'm still waiting for the server to be provisioned. I understand that they probably had quite a number of orders given the price of the deal.

I've raised a number of support tickets, each gets answered within 24 hours, but each time just apologising for the delay, stating a huge order volume, but they are never able to advise me on an estimated provisioning date and beyond the initial reply the follow up questions are left unanswered.

They continue to advertise amazing deals on WHT, like this one:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1271353

Either way, I hope their support is better once/if the server is provisioned.

Anyone with similar / better experiences?

[Edit] I'm still keen to have the server provisioned, reading up, eNotch are recommended as a good provider with good network links & hardware.

I've also been offered compensation for the delay, but still not able to be advised on the expected provisioning of the server.

Comments

• It was just too good to be true, maybe same people as behind CommercialMedia? lol

• PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep

We had the same issue. I gave up waiting.

• Look at the reviews of this provider on LowEndBox.com. They were featured on LEB a few years ago. My VPS with them, circa 2010, had slow IO and buggy network connectivity. Maybe things have improved since then.

• Also look for them on WHT. I recall a good couple of months where they virtually disappeared. Lots of users were looking to contact them with no avail.

• @dominicl Damn :( looks like i'm not alone then. Did you get a refund from them, or just forget about the money paid?

@tvjames said:
    dominicl Damn :( looks like i'm not alone then. Did you get a refund from them, or just forget about the money paid?

We had 2 orders in with them at the time. I asked for a refund for one of them, then a bit later for the other one. The refunds were done pretty quickly.

• Also look for them on WHT. I recall a good couple of months where they virtually disappeared.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1121991

TL;DR In January/February 2012 they were hosting a bunch of crap sites and Cogent pulled the plug on their /21

We experienced a large number of DMCA complaints including a series of complaints from local authorities regarding content that was hosted on one of our machines after Cogent suspended the /21 that we use from them including the /22 that we have advertised through Cogent assigned to us from ARIN. These actions and identification of data took about 48hrs and once the appropriate information was provided it in-turn took Cogent 4 days to restore our services which led to the full 7 day outage experienced last week.

We have been a Cogent customer for 3 years without issue in regards to billing or any administrative issue as speculated on job boards.

There are several other threads on WHT about outages (like this 7 day outage in 2011 -when Cogent suspended them for hosting spam and phishing sites ) . There are also many complaints about a lack of customer support.

• Refund pending.

• anyNodeanyNode Member, Host Rep

@tvjames said:
    Refund pending.

Heard of incidents where it took the client weeks to get their refund.

We got our refund straight away (2 refunds). We got them within 24 hours of asking.

• tvjamestvjames Member
    edited July 2013

@anyNode said:
    Heard of incidents where it took the client weeks to get their refund.

@dominicl said:
    We got our refund straight away (2 refunds). We got them within 24 hours of asking.

I'm still waiting for mine, I responded to the refund ticket but again like the others no further reply. I did have a random reply to my other ticket where they pushed my renewal date forward and said they were ready to provision. Still nothing further on that front either.

• So after all of this, the server was provisioned a couple of days ago, meets the order spec and is working well so far. Bandwidth at the LA DC is a little dicey.

• tvjamestvjames Member
    edited August 2013

If anyone's interested, here's the benchmark:

http://serverbear.com/benchmark/2013/07/19/r6yHjT4IIIbeVncM

Summary: The server itself is okay. Support could be better. Bandwidth is horrendous.

• @tvjames - that is terrible, have you asked for your port to be checked out? Could be a misconfiguration..

• @Reece I have raised a support ticket, but was told it's been resolved due to spiking servers, but rates havent changed.

I'm rerunning the benchmark and a second for another host in the same DC with a different provider. Hopefully that will provide the evidence needed to resolve the issue.

The first 24 - 48 hours of having the server the bandwidth was actually quite good. :(

• Bandwidth is horrendous.

install ethtool and make sure your ethernet card isn't set to half duplex and change the configuration if it is misconfigured.

• Thanks @DomainBop that may be part of the problem.

Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
    Speed: 100Mb/s
    Duplex: Half
    Port: Twisted Pair
    PHYAD: 1
    Transceiver: internal
    Auto-negotiation: on

Changing it to full breaks access to the server, so i'm guessing that switch configuration is preventing it...

• I'm pleased to report that it's all been resolved and I'm now pretty happy with the service & support. The issue was resolved relatively quickly and the bandwidth is now much much better.

http://serverbear.com/benchmark/2013/08/22/bCu3B0eaJ0vKnP3W

I can get 316 Mbits/sec outbound to a server in Vegas and 544 Mbits/sec inbound. Not too shabby.

So just about one month into the lease and all the issues have been resolved to my satisfaction.