Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gwiddle - Free Webhosting for Students
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Gwiddle - Free Webhosting for Students

ljsealsljseals Member
edited April 2017 in General

Gwiddle Web Hosting

We are a non-profit providing free web hosting to students around the world.

https://gwiddle.co.uk/en

Free accounts for educational use

2 Domains
5 Aliases
5 Mail Accounts per Domain
4 MySQL Databases
4 Cron Jobs
1.5GB Bandwidth
2GB Disk Space

Comments

• BG32BG32 Member

Shared hosting is cheap as fuck anyway

Thanked by 1sercio
  • ljsealsljseals Member
    edited April 2017

I was doing research on another issue and found out about this company. It is ran by a 15 year old. I was impressed as a student I had very little money so it may help someone. God bless you!

Thanked by 1BG32
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

ljseals said: I was doing research on another issue and found out about this company. It is ran by a 15 year old. I was impressed as a student I had very little money so it may help someone. God bless you!

For most of us, learning that a minor is running a business (and caretaking your personal info) is a major turn off, not inspiration.

15 year olds running companies on LET is nothing new

15 year olds running companies that last more than 6 months and provide acceptable service...that would be new.

ljseals said: We are a non-profit providing free web hosting to students around the world.

So does Wix, Github, and a million other places. Free cPanel might be slightly more interesting - though there are hundreds of free web hosts offering free cpanel - but you're VestaCP...er...Plesk.

And apparently that can't handle Let's Encrypt? WTF?

"We started Gwiddle because we felt that there was a void in current offerings – new web developers needed to get their work out there, but didn’t know how."

Can you name one?

BTW, how's that Raspberry Pi-basted hosting doing, btw?

Well at least you guys chose reasonable title...not a single Chief or Vice President. Usually in a small hosting company your size run by 15 year olds, we'd have at least one Global Senior Executive Vice President for Transglobal Development, so I suppose that's saying something...

Thanked by 1farsighter
  • ljsealsljseals Member
    edited April 2017

@raindog308

I just thought it was interesting. This is the pdf slideshow I was reading you can get the info on the CEO on slide 22. The site looks super professional and I am impressed. I am not affiliated with them at all. God bless you!

https://indico.uknof.org.uk/event/36/contribution/5/material/slides/0.pdf

• raindog308 said: And apparently that can't handle Let's Encrypt? WTF?

Looks like that's a bit outdated. Plesk has native support for LetsEncrypt.

It also appears that whilst MythicBeasts sponsor their server, they're not the same company. MythicBeasts is a semi-well known company in the United Kingdom - They host the Raspberry Pi website, and they're not too shabby with IPv6

So, it is what it is. Free web hosting ran by a 15 year old, although from a glance looks more recognised than most teenage web hosts.

• FiddeFidde Member

For each pageload on their website my spotify on mobile paused, not cool :(

Thanked by 1doghouch
  • YuraYura Member

All is well until they will come here and ask for $100.000 "investments" to take over the world.

Thanked by 1WSS
  • Ahhh, we all miss Johnny N. so much...

• @raindog308 said:
    Well at least you guys chose reasonable title...not a single Chief or Vice President. Usually in a small hosting company your size run by 15 year olds, we'd have at least one Global Senior Executive Vice President for Transglobal Development, so I suppose that's saying something...

I found my new title! Global Senior Executive Vice President for Transglobal Development sounds good. But how can I abbreviate it for my license plate.

• WSSWSS Member

@westplainshosting said:
    I found my new title! Global Senior Executive Vice President for Transglobal Development sounds good. But how can I abbreviate it for my license plate.

"Jorden Is Wearing Big Boy Pants", or JIWBBP, I suppose.

• WSS said: "Jorden Is Wearing Big Boy Pants", or JIWBBP, I suppose.

The best part about living in a state with 700,000 people is all the license plate choices are available. besides for COW sadly that one is taken.

• WSSWSS Member

"LOWENDR"

• ASSHAT is better IMO

• WSSWSS Member

@AuroraZ said:
    ASSHAT is better IMO

Pretty sure @KnownHostChrisM already claimed that one.

• @WSS said:

@AuroraZ said:
    ASSHAT is better IMO

Pretty sure @KnownHostChrisM already claimed that one.

Only in Alabamer and who gives a crap about that cesspool.

• ChrisMillerChrisMiller Member
    edited April 2017

WSS said: Pretty sure @KnownHostChrisM already claimed that one.

lol I think the DMV wouldn't approve of that.

AuroraZ said: Only in Alabamer and who gives a crap about that cesspool.

Alabama and Cesspool are definitely 2 words that go together.

• ljsealsljseals Member
    edited April 2017

Charity Registration

I guess it would be similar to non-profits? With government grants and donor contributions this could be a very profitable company. In college, we were taught to start a non-profit and create a budget. In the budget you can specify how much for the salary of the ceo/director and other employees. Many times this salary was over $100,000 pretty ingenious business plan from a 15 year old. Profit from free hosting. God bless you!

• WSSWSS Member

@KnownHostChrisM said:

WSS said: Pretty sure @KnownHostChrisM already claimed that one.

lol I think the DMV wouldn't approve of that.

Yet the troll sticker hasn't gotten you pulled over yet, has it?

Thanked by 1ChrisMiller
  • WOW 1.5GB OF BANDWIDTH SUCH AMAZING

A few high quality images and 1000 visitors and bye bye transfer limit :p

Like @BG32 said, shared hosting is dirt cheap, but I guess for students who are broke, well...

• WSSWSS Member

@FlamesRunner said:
    WOW 1.5GB OF BANDWIDTH SUCH AMAZING

A few high quality images and 1000 visitors and bye bye transfer limit :p

God forbid you don't develop with Node..

Thanked by 1FlamesRunner
  • YuraYura Member

@Yura said:
    All is well until they will come here and ask for $100.000 "investments" to take over the world.

12 hours later

@ljseals said:
    In the budget you can specify how much for the salary of the ceo/director and other employees. Many times this salary was over $100,000 pretty ingenious business plan from a 15 year old. Profit from free hosting. God bless you!

Thanked by 3BlazeMuis WSS ljseals