Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Configuring pfsense on ESXi on OVH Dedi
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Configuring pfsense on ESXi on OVH Dedi

Hi,
I finally got a failover IP from OVH. I am now trying to assign it to my pfsense firewall built on my ESXi dedi.

I have the following setting set for my WAN interface and it doesn't appear to be working, any tips or pointers welcome!

Failover IP yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy
Dedi IP xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

WAN
Static IP yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy
I have generated a virtual mac in the OVH control panel which I have entered in the "spoof" address in pfsense
IP v4 Gateway xxx.xxx.xxx.254

I still don't have a connection either in or out on the firewall.

What have I missed?

Thanks all.

Comments

• vmhausvmhaus Member, Top Host, Host Rep
    edited April 2017

Was the pfsense wan facing interface mac address set to the same as the one in OVH Panel?

Try disable all firewall rules in pfsense, by default it blocks everything in/out of WAN

And remember to add a static route for your gw address to wan interface. Failover IP are /32, and cannot reach the default gw without static route

Thanked by 1michaels
  • Thanks vmhaus. I'd missed the static route! All sorted.

• Ok, weirdly that worked for about 2 minutes and now it's not working again. Arrggggghhh

Did you try disabling the firewall? Any changes after it workerd for 2 mins?

• I managed to rdp to a windows server I have built on the inside. So the pfsense firewall doesn't appear to be the issue. I might rebuild the pfsense box as I have made a lot of changes over the last couple of days to try and make it work.

No, no changes after it started working. I have rebooted the firewall and added the static routes again and it still didn't work :(

Try rebuilding, if you hit a brick wall, drop me a pm i would like to try explore and help.

• Rebuild seems to have worked... Time will tell! Thank you for your help.

You are welcome :)