Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Postal - mail delivery platform
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Postal - mail delivery platform

YuraYura Member

https://github.com/atech/postal

Postal is a complete and fully featured mail server for use by websites & web servers. Think _Sendgrid, Mailgun or Postmark _but open source and ready for you to run on your own servers. Postal was developed by aTech Media to serve its own mail processing requirements and we have since decided that it should be released as an open source project for the community. It was originally launched by us as AppMail but renamed to Postal as part of making it open source as we felt the name was more suitable.

Getting 3000 stars just today, this is going to be interesting to keep track of. Screenshots look nice too.
I hope and fully expect Postal + Mautic will disrupt this mail racket industry beyond all their fears of commoditization. Oh, boy. Brace for more FUD from aforementioned companies about how really inconceivable black magic email delivery and tracking is.

Thanked by 1imok

Comments

• I thought the whole point of Mailgun et al was to benefit from their reputation to increase deliverability. How is Postal going to ensure deliverability of the spamlegit marketing emails?

• So it does incoming and outgoing?
    Does it do SPAM filtering?

• time4vpstime4vps Member, Host Rep

"Postal" - it's a nice PC game actually :)

• @time4vps said:

That game is called Portal and not Postal :P

Thanked by 1asf
  • YuraYura Member
    edited April 2017

@bohdans said:
    So it does incoming and outgoing?

From what I gather, this is not a replacement for Gmail/MailCow/MXroute, neither it's purpose is to filter outbound Spam on hosting servers. Postal is an alternative for Sendgrid, Mailgun type of services to deliver email.

• YuraYura Member
    edited April 2017

@BlazeMuis said:

@time4vps said:

Both games exist and are fun in their own peculiar ways.

• time4vpstime4vps Member, Host Rep

BlazeMuis said: That game is called Portal and not Postal :P

Check it out: http://store.steampowered.com/app/401680/POSTAL_Redux/?snr=1_5_9__300 ;P

Thanked by 1BlazeMuis
  • @Yura said:

@BlazeMuis said:

@time4vps said:

Both games exist and are fun in their own peculiar way.

I see, I did not know that.

Thanked by 1GenjiSwitchPls
  • I don't think we'll see this much in the SP space, besides maybe as a deployable application. It's really meant to provide a self-hosted bulk-mailer. Even then, if I'm an ESP I'm marketing my value as clean IP addresses, honey pot detection, and abuse report management.

• YuraYura Member

@OnApp_Terry said:
    I don't think we'll see this much in the SP space, besides maybe as a deployable application. It's really meant to provide a self-hosted bulk-mailer. Even then, if I'm an ESP I'm marketing my value as clean IP addresses, honey pot detection, and abuse report management.

Agreed. Maybe github community will take this and turn it into a SAAS but this meant to be not an ESP app, this is the end-user (read: enterprise/SOHO) application to send transactional and/or marketing emails from their servers. No multi tenancies, no outbound a la MailChannels filtering. Just send emails without paying for each one like it is 90s all over again.

If analogy is correct this is like Proxmox for people who don't need your venerable SolusVM, Fraudrecord, WHMC and the whole shebang. Different needs, different tools.

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

Any installation instructions?

• YuraYura Member

@Radi said:
    Any installation instructions?

https://github.com/atech/postal/wiki/Installation

• This is cool. Not so enthusiastic about the Ruby and Node dependencies....

@Yura said:

@bohdans said:
    So it does incoming and outgoing?

From what I gather, this is not a replacement for Gmail/MailCow/MXroute, neither it's purpose is to filter outbound Spam on hosting servers. Postal is an alternative for Sendgrid, Mailgun type of services to deliver email.

The particular appeal of Sendgrid and Mailgun is to be able to send JSON to an endpoint, and it turns that into an email. People don't need a box with a working MTA, and they don't have to deal with the oddities of each mail system or network. There is one system that deals with those details, and it consumes HTTP requests.

This also has the possibility of routing the message wherever. XMPP, Slack, IRC whatever else people can write a bot for.

• WSSWSS Member

@flatland_spider said:
    This is cool. Not so enthusiastic about the Ruby and Node dependencies....

Added to "Never fucking ever" list. Thanks for saving me a few minutes.

Thanked by 1Damian
  • Postal is actually the open source code of the live service https://appmail.io/

Thanked by 3Yura Chronic Tom
  • edited April 2017

Container: https://github.com/ALinuxNinja/docker-postal

Give it a try, no guarantees on whether it fully works yet.

Edit:
    Fixed a couple of things just now that were causing SQL migrations to not work properly.
    Logins should be working now.

Thanked by 2Yura rahoolm
  • Thanks @ALinuxNinja, was planning to create one but now can just use yours!