Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can 100mb/s VPS Protect him self From UDP FLOOD From 1gb/s Attack?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Can 100mb/s VPS Protect him self From UDP FLOOD From 1gb/s Attack?

i need to ask if it possible to protect My VPS which speed is 100mb/s From UDP Attack Come From VPS which speed 1gb/s using iptables or any firewall ?? OR i need help from provider ??

Comments

• Ever tried to suck a golf ball through a garden hose?

• xaitmixaitmi Member
    edited April 2017

Ever try draining an entire olympic swimming pool manually using a bucket?

Thanked by 2doghouch Fusl
  • vps cannot protect him self! vps not an hero!

Thanked by 2MacPac BG32
  • edited April 2017

-A INPUT -p udp -m limit --limit 2/sec --limit-burst 5 -j ACCEPT

or

-A INPUT -p udp -m limit --limit 10/minute --limit-burst 25 -j ACCEPT

or if you know the ip of the vps attacking you and the target port hes attacking should be like:

iptables -A INPUT -p udp -s 11.11.11.11 --dport 161 -m limit --limit 25/minute --limit-burst 100 -j ACCEPT

Should work in theory.

• @thelastmujahid said:

Should work?

what happens the the 1Gbps port floods the 100Mpbs port?

• @MrObvious said:
    Ever tried to suck a golf ball through a garden hose?

WELCOME BACK, CAPTAIN OBVIOUS <3

Jkjkjk

Thanked by 1MrObvious
  • In theory, if its 1 vs 1, you can limit the requests from VPS 1 (1gbit) to VPS 2 (100mbit) and should be ok I guess?

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited April 2017

@thelastmujahid said:

Should work?

+1 You very correct sir, Thank you for the use full command

Thanked by 2AuroraZ HyperSpeed
  • @doghouch said:

@thelastmujahid said:

Should work?

Are you suggesting that he should run this on a 100mbit server? What's the point? 1GBPS can saturate the entire port, rendering your crappy fix useless.

I was trying to lead him there, but you ruined the surprise dang it!!!!!!

• @AuroraZ crap, REMOVE IT. Did a NINJA EDIT

Thanked by 1AuroraZ
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@MrObvious said:

Bad memories of the doctor explaining kidney stones.

Francisco

• @JoeMerit said:
    vps cannot protect him self! vps not an hero!

vps can protect himself and the others dude!!

Thanked by 1elwebmaster
  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

no.

@Francisco said:

@MrObvious said:

Bad memories of the doctor explaining kidney stones.

Francisco

Jesus christ.

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2017

@thelastmujahid said:

or

or if you know the ip of the vps attacking you and the target port hes attacking should be like:

iptables -A INPUT -p udp -s 11.11.11.11 --dport 161 -m limit --limit 25/minute --limit-burst 100 -j ACCEPT

Should work in theory.

Congratulations, you just essentially disabled UDP (if there's an implied DROP afterwards. Otherwise you didn't do anything at all).

Could people please stop recommending the basic limit match for stuff like this? This is not what it is designed for.

Thanked by 1jh_aurologic
  • @jackb said:

@thelastmujahid said:

or

Should work in theory.

Congratulations, you just essentially disabled UDP.

Could people please stop recommending the basic limit match for stuff like this? This is not what it is designed for and if you don't understand why, please go back to the man page and read it.

Congratulations you just gave away one of the biggest surprises of whole thread. People, people, people, stop giving away my surprises dang it!!!!!!!

Thanked by 1jackb
  • graphicgraphic Member
    edited April 2017

@Obada said:
    i need to ask if it possible to protect My VPS which speed is 100mb/s From UDP Attack Come From VPS which speed 1gb/s using iptables or any firewall ?? OR i need help from provider ??

Please use the right measure.
    1gb/s would be 8gbit/s or 1000mb/s

• ObadaObada Member
    edited April 2017

guys i blocked Attacker IP from both UDP & TCP Protocols and he can using udp flood to off my vps and when i look to if top i see my network 99mb/s send to attacker ip, so i ask this question. i use all limitation command. and now i block attacker ip, so i think no solution for udp flood if the attacker have high internet speed from your vps/dedicated.

*note: he can't attack me using tcp attacks methods.

• @Obada said:
    guys i blocked Attacker IP from both UDP & TCP Protocols and he can using udp flood to off my vps and when i look to if top i see my network 99mb/s send to attacker ip, so i ask this question. i use all limitation command. and now i block attacker ip, so i think no solution for udp flood if the attacker have high internet speed from your vps/dedicated.

*note: he can't attack me using tcp attacks methods.

I don't think anyone on LET is giving the attacker his high internet speed form our vps/dedicated, but may be you can put your stuff behind cloudflare?

• ObadaObada Member

@elwebmaster said:
    I don't think anyone on LET is giving the attacker his high internet speed form our vps/dedicated, but may be you can put your stuff behind cloudflare?

i provide game server so i need to work on udp protocol and using original ip's

• @Obada said:

@elwebmaster said:

i provide game server so i need to work on udp protocol and using original ip's

If you have a gameserver you are better off paying for some protection. You will not be able to mitigate this yourself.

• jh_aurologicjh_aurologic Member, Patron Provider

Better get ddos protection, hostbased filtering will not help under real ddos.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • stefemanstefeman Member
    edited April 2017

This is beyond retarded. The moment this 1Gbps attack hits your 100Mbps NIC, the damage is already done.. Nothing will help even if you tried to drop the entire protocol with these iptables.. Invest in a VPS thats behind DDoS protected network and 100Mbps just might be enough..

Thanked by 2vimalware Obada
  • ObadaObada Member

@stefeman said:
    This is beyond retarded. The moment this 1Gbps attack hits your 100Mbps NIC, the damage is already done.. Nothing will help even if you tried to drop the entire protocol with these iptables.. Invest in a VPS thats behind DDoS protected network and 100Mbps just might be enough..

YES you are right i just made this question to make me sure for this action.

So the ANSWER IS NO. we can't block udp attacker if he have high speed than our server. so wee need third party to protect us.

Thank you all

• Depends on the provider, like OVH's yes, as if the VPS is hosted in let's say France and I'm sending a DDoS attack from the US, let's say near chicago, once it its chicago the DDoS VAC in their CHI PoP will mitigate the attack even before it heads overseas.