Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Plivo forgot to renew domain plivo.com - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Plivo forgot to renew domain plivo.com

2»

Comments

• Google also once screwed up a renewal... I think the guy that snagged it got a pat on the back and like $1000 as a gift from them when they took it back.
    http://www.businessinsider.com/this-guy-bought-googlecom-from-google-for-one-minute-2015-9

@Clouvider said:
    Amazing. How can you screw up a renewal like that.

• Actually, I'd forgotten. It was just a few weeks back when I had something similar with my registrar and it wouldn't renew. Now the good thing is that they do these auto payments a couple of weeks in advance, so I got an automated email saying to pay some other way. That's a nice feature from my registrar. All ended well.

• TionTion Member

@jarland said:
    Having a credit card stolen is nothing like having an account/routing number stolen.

Thing is you can simply go to your bank, fill out a form saying this was a non authorised direct debit and get your money back no questions asked while the other party has to pay your banks administration fees.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited April 2017

@Tion said:

@jarland said:
    Having a credit card stolen is nothing like having an account/routing number stolen.

Thing is you can simply go to your bank, fill out a form saying this was a non authorised direct debit and get your money back no questions asked while the other party has to pay your banks administration fees.

Still more consumer protection with convenience exists through MasterCard, visa, American Express, etc. Conflict resolution is more streamlined. In fact the most consumer protection in a transaction here is by credit card specifically. Even debit processed as credit has more consumer protection than debit processed as debit. Federal law provides more protection for credit transactions than debit, to a significant degree.

People just don't give out bank details to internet companies in the US, with exception mostly to finance related companies, and most companies don't take it as an accepted form of payment.

• southysouthy Member
    edited April 2017

@jarland said:
    My debit card and credit card are indistinguishable, both with expiration dates.

Direct debit does not draw from your card, it directly draws from your bank account. Cards are not involved.
    You just tell them your account details (account number & bank identifier code) and permit the respective amount to be debited - that's it.

Cards exipre here as well of course, but your account details rarely change.

As I understand, a card is a tool to allow

• the vendor to easily (card reader) read the required data (card number) without having to manually enter stuff.
    • the bank to identify you (physical presence of working card)
    • and based upon that then provides the vendor with a direct confirmation that money has been transferred

For payments in online-shops, all of these advantages do not work:

• there is no card reader, so you have to enter your data manually
    • identification is not possible, anyone that knows your data can enter it.
      (Which is the reason for the "security codes" and "Verified by VISA" etc. etc. stuff).

So basically, for online payments, credit cards do loose their advantages. It doesn't make any difference wether you enter your CC data or your bank account data.

I don't know what you're doing in Germany that's so wildly different, but I know that direct bank withdrawal via account/routing number is something you only give to the most very limited parties here in the US. For paying bills of the highest tier like utilities, or when making payments to banks directly.

That's very much different here.
    It is pretty much the usual way for any kind of reccuring payments or subscriptions - most vendors will not even take other payment forms, especially the smaller ones (local fitness studio).
    Which might be because direct debit is much cheaper for vendors (no extra CC company in the middle that needs to be payed). I think processing costs like 1/10 or so of CC payments.

Of course, for internet-related stuff paypal is also common and international companies offer CC as well, but the usual stuff you deal with in daily life (newspaper, insurances, rent, fees for all kins of clubs, insurances, etc.) usually is direct debit.

Hmm. Might just be different culture.
    I don't see much of a difference in risk.

As DD money goes onto an account directly, the owner of that account can be identified clearly. So if someone abuses this, police will catch up rather quickly.
    And as recalling payments in case of fraud etc. basically work the same for both, it feels equally safe to me.

Honestly, I have never ever heard about abuse around direct debit ever.

I suspect whatever you're doing in Germany @southy, it has no equivalent over here.

might be, or it's cultural.

But I believe we are diverging from topic :-)

• Vova1234Vova1234 Member, Patron Provider
    edited April 2017

I renew all my domains until 2019, 2020 and 2025.

Domain Name: benchmark.stream
    Domain ID: D263250-STREAM
    WHOIS Server: Joker.com
    Referral URL: http://joker.com
    Updated Date: 2017-04-21T15:27:22Z
    Creation Date: 2017-02-11T16:48:24Z
    Registry Expiry Date: 2025-02-10T23:59:59Z

and other domains.

So it will be even easier.

• trnjtrnj Member

Why do people register domains with dinosaurus like networksolutions ? Insane pricing for a budget poor services.

• ricardoricardo Member
    edited April 2017

trnj said: Why do people register domains with dinosaurus like networksolutions ? Insane pricing for a budget poor services.

Why not? Not everyone needs a pretty UI and a feeling of love from their registrar. Just renew the damn domains :)

The domain will be worth a few quid. I'll put in a cheeky $40 drop catch, can't remember if the registrar has an auction back end

• trnjtrnj Member

It was a nightmare for thousands clients like me.

• @trnj said:

Your real nightmare is wordpress my friend.

• @GenjiSwitchPls said:

@trnj said:

Your real nightmare is wordpress my friend.

Ewww, an iPad. Reminds me of my iPad 2 and @jarland's shitty iPad Pro. I hate iPads.

• TWoTWo Member

@southy said:
    For recurring stuff like this, normally people in germany would never use a credit card, but "direct debit".
    I don't know if that's an accurate translation, but basically you allow the vendor to directly take the agreed amount of money from your bank account once a year / month /....
    (either fixed sum or according to your usage e.g. the amount due for your phone line)

There's Credit Card, there's Debit Card and there is Direct Debit or Direct Withdrawal, so yes it is the right term.

This is what you almost always do for stuff like subscriptions, contracts, insurances, rent, your phone line etc. - basically for everything where you know recurring payments will be coming.

In Germany. Not in the rest of the world. Because they either don't have it or it is not that popular.

In fact, vendors such as your fitness studio, your newspaper, your landlord, ... will normally not even offer credit card payment. Normally you will have to enter your bank details and allow them to charge you, and that's it.

These most probably don't do it because it's more complicated to be able to accept CC/DC payments than getting in possesion of a bank account. And your landlord most probably wasn't keen on paying the payment processing fees on card payments.

People here use credit cards when they are abroad or for one-time payments on e.g. gas stations, hotels etc.

But not for recurring contracts.

Nah. That's not true. I was paying whatever possible using my CC when I was living in Germany. Say Hi to loyality programs.

My debit card and credit card are indistinguishable, both with expiration dates.

Direct debit does not draw from your card, it directly draws from your bank account. Cards are not involved.
    You just tell them your account details (account number & bank identifier code) and permit the respective amount to be debited - that's it.

Direct withdrawal is very uncommon in the USA, so most people don't know it. You can be happy living in a country with one of the most advanced banking systems in the world according to my experience. Apart from the maybe the Netherlands. Now with SEPA it gets better. But in most parts of Europe people take their monthly bills to the bank to pay them or transfer money from their accounts. Leave Europe and you'll find people sending cheques. That's one of the reasons why a lot of that FinTech takes place outside Europe and especially Germany. The market is not in the same need for a convenient solution.

As I understand, a card is a tool to allow

• the vendor to easily (card reader) read the required data (card number) without having to manually enter stuff.
    • the bank to identify you (physical presence of working card)
    • and based upon that then provides the vendor with a direct confirmation that money has been transferred

The last is only true for online (not talking about internet here) payments. If you pay by means of what you still might call EC card and then have to sign, you are actually agreeing to a one time direct withdrawal and your card is only used to read your bank details.

For payments in online-shops, all of these advantages do not work:

• there is no card reader, so you have to enter your data manually
    • identification is not possible, anyone that knows your data can enter it.
      (Which is the reason for the "security codes" and "Verified by VISA" etc. etc. stuff).

So basically, for online payments, credit cards do loose their advantages. It doesn't make any difference wether you enter your CC data or your bank account data.

It makes a HUGE difference. As the seller getting your CC guarantees me your payment, while just getting your bank account data guarantees me nothing.

I don't know what you're doing in Germany that's so wildly different, but I know that direct bank withdrawal via account/routing number is something you only give to the most very limited parties here in the US. For paying bills of the highest tier like utilities, or when making payments to banks directly.

That's very much different here.

Yay. In Germany. Only. And maybe the Netherlands.

It is pretty much the usual way for any kind of reccuring payments or subscriptions - most vendors will not even take other payment forms, especially the smaller ones (local fitness studio).
    Which might be because direct debit is much cheaper for vendors (no extra CC company in the middle that needs to be payed). I think processing costs like 1/10 or so of CC payments.

It's free. It comes with your bank account. You can even do it with yours. If you are a company your bank might charge you per transaction. But there is no commission on the amount like with MasterCard, Visa, GiroPay, etc.

But the big secret behind is ELV. In the rest of the world - if the know about direct debit - it is mostly pre-authorized debit (PAD) or pre-authorized payment (PAP), where you'll have a form, let it signed by your bank and then give it to the party who wants to charge you. With PAD/PAP you cannot get your money back the same way as with ELV.

Of course, for internet-related stuff paypal is also common and international companies offer CC as well, but the usual stuff you deal with in daily life (newspaper, insurances, rent, fees for all kins of clubs, insurances, etc.) usually is direct debit.

Where I do live now, I pay whatever I can with my CC. Not so much because of the loyality programs anymore but for convenience. Else I would need to pay every single invoice manually. Rent is a monthly transfer as it is the same amout every month and for insurance it is PAD. For my internet bill I also use a monthly transfer as they are not offering payment through CC and I'm too lazy and forgetful to pay every single invoice. Fortunately I can use my UserID as reference there. My previous provider only allowed invoice number as reference, so it was a tedious work every month.

Sometimes I miss the ELV. For its convenience.

Hmm. Might just be different culture.
    I don't see much of a difference in risk.

I think it is more related to identity theft. As it is used to be more secret/personal. Printing your own account number on your letter head isn't so common if you leave central europe.

As DD money goes onto an account directly, the owner of that account can be identified clearly. So if someone abuses this, police will catch up rather quickly.

Na. In the meantime I took all the money from that account. Police will meet my mule who was greed and/or stupid enough to open an account for me.

And as recalling payments in case of fraud etc. basically work the same for both, it feels equally safe to me.

It is totally different. Believe me. ELV you can just return for at least six weeks. What happens is you'll get back your money and the other part will be informed. If they had a legit claim the will then contact you and try to get their money. For CC it is a different story.

Honestly, I have never ever heard about abuse around direct debit ever.

There was. Some years ago. Criminals withdrawing money from random accounts. And still there is. All these shady competitions where you are urged to leave not only your name but your account details and your signature and you actually signing a recurring contract. Look up "Abofalle".

But I believe we are diverging from topic :-)

Oh yes. And I'm sorry to continue to do so. I just wanted to let you know in what heaven (regarding payments) you live. This nice eco system is also the reason why CC isn't that popular in Germany, because they used to have better alternatives which are lacking in other countries.

• First time i heard about this service.

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited April 2017

GenjiSwitchPls said: Your real nightmare is wordpress my friend.

OK, wordpress is not the best platform in the world. But it is extremely popular. And not only bu amateurs, but by a lot of professionals, designers, big companies, too. And there is a reason for this. It's "cool" for somebody to learn some super - duper cms like, let's say, modx or code yourself the most complex portal earth could see. That does not lead him to the position to trash platforms like WP that nowadays are really mature and could make easier the living of the dev and the end user, too.
    Security? A plain installation is more than secure. A more complex installation with a bunch of plugins is also secure, if the dev/designer knows what to trust and what to do. Are other platforms more secure? Maybe. But there is no real difference. Tens of thousands of WP websites are being hacked every month. Huge number. But the number is huge, because the wordpress installations are hundred of millions. The other platforms, are having just a tiny fraction of the market share. So, it is common sense that they will reveal less vulnerabilities because hackers won't spend too much time to crack them, they lack interest.
    Can you blame a web server as insecure by default? No. It is insecure if you don't know how to secure it properly. And then, again, there are possibilities to get hacked.
    Comments like yours reminds me the debate of using windows over linux for the desktop. Ok, Linux is cool. But, then, why the expensive and buggy MS product is leading the pc world? Because the majority of people are morons? No. It has to be something there. Marketing? Easiness of use? Support? Balance? Aesthetic? Maybe all of them and more.

To sum up: comments like yours, are the real nightmare. Trying to look "cool" (I don;t use that trash piece of software) ingore the reality. So, no, wordpress is not a nightmare. It is a tool. If you learn how to use it properly, it is an excellent tool and hater will be haters.

(And I am a Joomla and ex-drupal fan, in terms of popular CMS).

Thanked by 1jamson
  • jon617jon617 Veteran

trnj said: Looks like SMS service provider plivo.com forgot to renew their domain and it was expired

Wow. I use them for my SMS, but hadn't noticed the outage. That's embarrassing for them. Looks like they fixed it, but caused at least 12 hours of outage as per their https://status.plivo.com/

Due to an error with our domain registrar “plivo.com” and all its subdomains were unreachable for the last 12 hours. 
    We have isolated and resolved the configuration error with our domain provider, however we expect the change to propagate globally within next 3-12 hours. (April 24th, 18 hrs UTC)