Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Floating IP Networking
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Floating IP Networking

Here is a networking question I have in my head right now. In the past I have had some IP blocks being enabled to be used on any number of a few servers. I know it was due to a VLAN, my provider called it pooling, though I assume thats more of a marketing term they came up with.

By being used I mean I could hop a VM from A to B without a disconnection.

Is a VLAN the only way this is done? I am not an expert in networking so trying to research this.

Thanks.

Comments

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

Unless, you're doing some HA setup, you can't just "hop" it without any disconnection. If in same vlan, you can migrate from node A to node B, without IP changes.

• Thats what I am planning right now. Im just trying to get more in depth on how it actually works rather than treat it like magic. Any explanations would be beneficial.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Erm, a single broadcast and L2 domain. Be it native in the switch or configured. If between DCs you're looking at either taking out VPLS multipoint, MPLS point-to-point or EVPN across the sites with some connectivity provider (like us for example ;]).

• @Clouvider said:
    Erm, a single broadcast and L2 domain. Be it native in the switch or configured. If between DCs you're looking at either taking out VPLS multipoint, MPLS point-to-point or EVPN across the sites with some connectivity provider (like us for example ;]).

Please no acronyms as 90% of that went over my head.

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

@pcfreak30 said:

@Clouvider said:

Seriously? Not even MPLS?

To be completely honest, we are always willing to help people out. But if you are considering opening up shop and providing hosting dont do it yet. You have many questions in regards to this matter.

My advice is to start with a dedi, get your hands dirty, and then come back with questions. I am sure we all will help a person that is willing to learn.

Acronyms? How about google? :)

Thanked by 2Clouvider WSS
  • trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@pcfreak30 said:

@Clouvider said:

Your questions are requiring low level answers. I think you need to research as well. You can't expect everyone here to offer up their knowledge without you doing some front work first.

Thanked by 3rsk Clouvider WSS
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@pcfreak30 said:

@Clouvider said:

This are the technologies you're after. You're free to look them up in Google if you need more details about any of them. A book can be written about every single one of them separately and the knowledge obtained over the years costs. No one will provide you with a complete design of your setup FoC.

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

pcfreak30 said: Please no acronyms as 90% of that went over my head.

As I mentioned in your other thread, you really need to take this 1 step at a time. You you've gotta work your way upto this stuff. I mean acronyms can be easily looked up. The full name will not mean anything to you either any way.

Right now it's kind of like you wanting to build and sell cars but then asking, 'what is ABS?' or 'What's the difference between Diesel and Petrol?'. I hope you don't take offence by this but you should really consider what you are trying to do here.

Thanked by 2Clouvider WSS
  • @Clouvider @randvegeta @trewq Im not offended and I know what im doing with servers overall, just the networking aspect outside a dedi is what I have little experience in. So trying to learn what I can before I start to plan anything.

Thanks for all info given on this so far.