Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Recommend a good Windows VPS for my needs.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Recommend a good Windows VPS for my needs.

JessicaJonesJessicaJones Member
edited April 2017 in Requests

Hey folks,

I'm looking for a Windows VPS that I will run "PlayOn" software on, this is a program that records videos from Netflix & Hulu etc, I will be also running a VPN client software, I will also upload my recordings to OneDrive or GoogleDrive.
The following are the system requirements for PlayOn.

• Microsoft Windows 10, Windows 8.1/8, Windows 7, Windows Vista.

• Windows Internet Explorer 9 at a minimum. Internet Latest version of Internet Explorer available for your OS is desired.

• The latest version of Flash.

• 512 MB RAM (1 GB recommended)

• Windows Media Player 9 or later

• A CPU with a passmark score of 1000 or higher.

• 100 MB of available disk space for installation, plus recommended 4-5 GB extra space on the same drive where Windows is installed.

I'm currently running this setup on a VPS (Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard) with the following configuration and not getting perfect results.
– 2 CPU Cores

– 2GB Dedicated RAM

– 60GB Disk Space

– 3000GB (3TB) Premium Bandwidth

– 1000Mbps Port Speed

– Powered by KVM Virtualization

– Includes Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard

Getting max CPU & high Ram total usage on task manager even though processes usage one by one doesn't add up to that total. Check screen http://i.imgur.com/0TsuHHh.png this make the recordings stutter and I'm only recording SD videos, it will be worse when I start recording HD.

Not sure if this is due to their servers being oversold or something but I though this configuration should be more than enough. I'm currently talking with the provider about this and awaiting their reply but I need to know your recommendations nevertheless. Any windows vps offers that can run my setup with perfect results?

Comments

• BopieBopie Member

Do you know if the CPU is dedicated or shared as if the CPU is shared this would maybe be the reason behind capping CPU, I would be more than happy to offer you a test run on one of our windows VPS to see if the issue would be solved when given Dedicated CPU.

Also if you would like providers to offer you deals I would suggest that you add a location to which you want the VPS to be and a price

Thanked by 1JessicaJones
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    Thanked by 1JessicaJones
  • BopieBopie Member

You should trademark "Get a slice!"

• WSSWSS Member

@Bopie said:

Why bother? He says it so often (and sometimes awkwardly) that I just consider it to be Tourettes related.

• @VirMach should be able to hook you up with a windows vps. Although they might be a bit backlogged from their easter sale.

Thanked by 2JessicaJones VirMach
  • BG32BG32 Member
    edited April 2017

@Bopie said:

Dominos would go in dry on the poor man

Thanked by 2Francisco WSS
  • BG32BG32 Member

Don't you need a gpu to record without it being jumpy as all shit

Thanked by 1JessicaJones
  • WSSWSS Member

@BG32 said:

@Bopie said:

Dominos would go in dry on the poor man

Avoid the anoid!

• JessicaJonesJessicaJones Member
    edited March 2018

Bopie said: Do you know if the CPU is dedicated or shared as if the CPU is shared this would maybe be the reason behind capping CPU, I would be more than happy to offer you a test run on one of our windows VPS to see if the issue would be solved when given Dedicated CPU.

Also if you would like providers to offer you deals I would suggest that you add a location to which you want the VPS to be and a price

I guess it's shared (I don't see any mention of either shared or dedicated on their page https://www.wcom/windows-vps.html), I don't think they will reply to me even if I asked, they don't have live chat & I still haven't received a reply to my latest ticket. I got their second offer on that page but through a different link on this board that was on sale $10 instead of $19.

As for location, US would be ideal but it doesn't matter since Netflix blocked almost all ips, I will be using a vpn client app with my own dedicated ip that works on Netflix so location doesn't matter much. Regarding price, willing to pay a fair price, just need perfect results, dedicated cpu sounds ideal. I'm open to testing out one of your windows vps.

• BG32 said: Don't you need a gpu to record without it being jumpy as all shit

No, the program PlayOn uses CPU power, even though there is a hardware acceleration option. Basically this program has it's own browser and it records the videos in the background. Already tried this on an encoding rdp with no gpu and got perfect results in HD, not a single stutter, but it's a high end rdp & I can't use my vpn client on it (Not allowed) so it's no use.

• I can offer you a dedicated cpu on any off my KVM plans. https://westplainshosting.com/vps

Thanked by 1JessicaJones
  • BopieBopie Member

@JessicaJones hit up @piohost (my fiance) she can arrange a trial for you however she is fast asleep right now so won't reply for a while.

• WSSWSS Member

@westplainshosting said:
    I can offer you a dedicated cpu on any off my KVM plans. https://westplainshosting.com/vps

Might want to go back and check the LET rules. Wouldn't want to get in trouble this soon.

• BopieBopie Member

@westplainshosting said:
    I can offer you a dedicated cpu on any off my KVM plans. https://westplainshosting.com/vps

I read your site and I'm confused you say that you KVM is cloud, but you say that your hardware is cloud-grade, what is your setup for your cloud infrastructure? Just out of interest as I'm new to learning the cloud and am currently testing and learning with a home lab.

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited April 2017

Maybe you'd better go with a cheap dedi. Look at this:
    For 10$ per month https://www.wholesaleinternet.net/cart/?id=250 It will be something like E7xxx. It will not come with ipmi/kvm but you can install windows thru rescue mode if you have some linux knowledge and server management capabilities (unfortunately those cpus don't have vt-x instructions on it, so, you cannot install proxmox to have a windows vm).
    Or else, get a big enough slice from Francisco (BuyVM).

• VirMachVirMach Member, Patron Provider

JessicaJones said: I'm currently running this setup on a VPS (Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard) with the following configuration and not getting perfect results. – 2 CPU Cores

JessicaJones said: A CPU with a passmark score of 1000 or higher.

Are you sure your requirement is only 1000? Also what's your budget?

You could probably try out our SSD8G package with the high CPU option and additional disk. You'll get 3 logical cores (which should meet your requirements) as well as meet your other requirements. If it doesn't meet your needs, you can cancel for a refund. Use coupon code "LET30" for 30% off the base package.

https://virmach.com/windows-remote-desktop-vps/

We do also offer larger plans and dedicated servers if that doesn't meet your needs, but again, I don't know your budget.

jvnadr said: Maybe you'd better go with a cheap dedi. Look at this:

For 10$ per month https://www.wholesaleinternet.net/cart/?id=250 It will be something like E7xxx.

If it's 1.6GHz (or above) as advertised and OP gets 1.6GHz (Intel L7500), it won't be enough for the requirements.

@JessicaJones I'm going to run a test for you on our server and update this.

Thanked by 1JessicaJones
  • Hey guys,

First things first, I want to apologize for my stupidity I was actually not reading the task manager correctly so disregard that task manager screenshot in thread opener, it turns out that there is a background process that runs by this PlayOn that can be seen from the "details" section of the task manager instead of the "user" section. It's the process that does the actual recording and it maxes out the cpu. At least we know now that my current cpu is not enough while ram never maxed out to 99% like the cpu so I guess it's enough.

Current cpu configue as per "System Properties" is:
    QEMU VIRTUAL CPU version (cpu64-rhel6) 2.40 GHz (2 processors)
    I think I will need something better.

Bopie said: @JessicaJones hit up @piohost (my fiance) she can arrange a trial for you however she is fast asleep right now so won't reply for a while.

I will message your fiance about this in few minutes, thanks again.

Thank you for the offers Francisco, I will check those who offered testing and come back to you if needed.

westplainshosting said: I can offer you a dedicated cpu on any off my KVM plans. https://westplainshosting.com/vps

Thanks for the offers.

jvnadr said: Maybe you'd better go with a cheap dedi. Look at this:

For 10$ per month https://www.wholesaleinternet.net/cart/?id=250 It will be something like E7xxx. It will not come with ipmi/kvm but you can install windows thru rescue mode if you have some linux knowledge and server management capabilities (unfortunately those cpus don't have vt-x instructions on it, so, you cannot install proxmox to have a windows vm).
    Or else, get a big enough slice from Francisco (BuyVM).

Thanks, dedicated is a good idea but I want to see if this can be set up on a vps or not first, also I have no knowledge in linux so I will have to find someone to hire to do this for me if it comes to this.

VirMach said: Are you sure your requirement is only 1000? Also what's your budget?

Not entirely sure, I'm not so good in technical terms, what I know is the current cpu (check the above paragraphs) is not enough.

VirMach said: @JessicaJones I'm going to run a test for you on our server and update this.

Do you mean you want to test PlayOn on your server? If you need me to lend you my account just let me know since it's a subscription based program. Also thanks for offering the SSD8G. I will test out piohost's offer and come back to you regarding your SSD8G after that.

Also thank you all who participated in this thread, appreciate all your help and all the offers.

• sanvitsanvit Member
    edited April 2017

Netflix will say your using proxy since Windows VPS's IP will be a DC one. EVEN if your recording with PlayOn. PlayOn will record it, but if you play the video, it will just show up the message. I tried it.

• WSSWSS Member

@jvnadr said:
    Maybe you'd better go with a cheap dedi. Look at this:
    For 10$ per month https://www.wholesaleinternet.net/cart/?id=250

Shit - I had no idea the Core2 beasts were back again. Welp-

OpenBSD 6.0 (GENERIC) #2148: Tue Jul 26 12:55:20 MDT 2016
        [email protected]:/usr/src/sys/arch/amd64/compile/GENERIC
    real mem = 4267573248 (4069MB)
    avail mem = 4133814272 (3942MB)
    mpath0 at root
    scsibus0 at mpath0: 256 targets
    mainbus0 at root
    bios0 at mainbus0: SMBIOS rev. 2.4 @ 0xf0100 (34 entries)
    bios0: vendor Award Software International, Inc. version "FD" date 09/23/2009
    bios0: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. G31M-ES2L
    acpi0 at bios0: rev 0
    acpi0: sleep states S0 S3 S4 S5
    acpi0: tables DSDT FACP HPET MCFG TAMG APIC SSDT
    acpi0: wakeup devices PEX0(S5) PEX1(S5) PEX2(S5) PEX3(S5) PEX4(S5) PEX5(S5) HUB0(S5) UAR1(S3) USB0(S3) USB1(S3) USB2(S3) USB3(S3) USBE(S3) AZAL(S5) PCI0(S5)
    acpitimer0 at acpi0: 3579545 Hz, 24 bits
    acpihpet0 at acpi0: 14318179 Hz
    acpimcfg0 at acpi0 addr 0xe0000000, bus 0-255
    acpimadt0 at acpi0 addr 0xfee00000: PC-AT compat
    cpu0 at mainbus0: apid 0 (boot processor)
    cpu0: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E7500 @ 2.93GHz, 2933.73 MHz
    cpu0: FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CF
    LUSH,DS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,PBE,SSE3,DTES64,MWAIT,DS-CPL,VMX,EST,TM2,SSSE3,CX16,xTPR,PDCM,SSE4.1,XSAVE,NXE,LONG,LAHF,PERF,SENSOR
    cpu0: 3MB 64b/line 8-way L2 cache
    cpu0: smt 0, core 0, package 0
    mtrr: Pentium Pro MTRR support, 8 var ranges, 88 fixed ranges
    cpu0: apic clock running at 266MHz
    cpu0: mwait min=64, max=64, C-substates=0.2.2.2.2, IBE
    cpu at mainbus0: not configured
    ioapic0 at mainbus0: apid 2 pa 0xfec00000, version 20, 24 pins
    acpiprt0 at acpi0: bus 0 (PCI0)
    acpiprt1 at acpi0: bus 1 (PEX0)
    acpiprt2 at acpi0: bus 2 (PEX1)
    acpiprt3 at acpi0: bus -1 (PEX2)
    acpiprt4 at acpi0: bus -1 (PEX3)
    acpiprt5 at acpi0: bus -1 (PEX4)
    acpiprt6 at acpi0: bus -1 (PEX5)
    acpiprt7 at acpi0: bus 3 (HUB0)
    acpicpu0 at acpi0: C1(@1 halt!), FVS, 2933, 2133, 1600 MHz
    acpibtn0 at acpi0: PWRB
    pci0 at mainbus0 bus 0
    pchb0 at pci0 dev 0 function 0 "Intel 82G33 Host" rev 0x10
    inteldrm0 at pci0 dev 2 function 0 "Intel 82G33 Video" rev 0x10
    drm0 at inteldrm0
    intagp0 at inteldrm0
    agp0 at intagp0: aperture at 0xd0000000, size 0x10000000
    inteldrm0: msi
    inteldrm0: 1024x768
    wsdisplay0 at inteldrm0 mux 1: console (std, vt100 emulation)
    wsdisplay0: screen 1-5 added (std, vt100 emulation)
    ppb0 at pci0 dev 28 function 0 "Intel 82801GB PCIE" rev 0x01: msi
    pci1 at ppb0 bus 1
    ppb1 at pci0 dev 28 function 1 "Intel 82801GB PCIE" rev 0x01: msi
    pci2 at ppb1 bus 2
    alc0 at pci2 dev 0 function 0 "Attansic Technology L1C" rev 0xc0: msi, address 00:24:1d:c8:21:af
    atphy0 at alc0 phy 0: F1 10/100/1000 PHY, rev. 11
    uhci0 at pci0 dev 29 function 0 "Intel 82801GB USB" rev 0x01: apic 2 int 23
    uhci1 at pci0 dev 29 function 1 "Intel 82801GB USB" rev 0x01: apic 2 int 19
    uhci2 at pci0 dev 29 function 2 "Intel 82801GB USB" rev 0x01: apic 2 int 18
    uhci3 at pci0 dev 29 function 3 "Intel 82801GB USB" rev 0x01: apic 2 int 16
    ehci0 at pci0 dev 29 function 7 "Intel 82801GB USB" rev 0x01: apic 2 int 23
    usb0 at ehci0: USB revision 2.0
    uhub0 at usb0 "Intel EHCI root hub" rev 2.00/1.00 addr 1
    ppb2 at pci0 dev 30 function 0 "Intel 82801BA Hub-to-PCI" rev 0xe1
    pci3 at ppb2 bus 3
    pcib0 at pci0 dev 31 function 0 "Intel 82801GB LPC" rev 0x01
    pciide0 at pci0 dev 31 function 2 "Intel 82801GB SATA" rev 0x01: DMA, channel 0 wired to compatibility, channel 1 wired to compatibility
    wd0 at pciide0 channel 0 drive 0: <WDC WD2502ABYS-18B7A0>
    wd0: 16-sector PIO, LBA48, 238417MB, 488279137 sectors
    wd0(pciide0:0:0): using PIO mode 4, Ultra-DMA mode 6
    ichiic0 at pci0 dev 31 function 3 "Intel 82801GB SMBus" rev 0x01: apic 2 int 19
    iic0 at ichiic0
    spdmem0 at iic0 addr 0x50: 2GB DDR2 SDRAM non-parity PC2-6400CL5
    spdmem1 at iic0 addr 0x52: 2GB DDR2 SDRAM non-parity PC2-6400CL5
    usb1 at uhci0: USB revision 1.0
    uhub1 at usb1 "Intel UHCI root hub" rev 1.00/1.00 addr 1
    usb2 at uhci1: USB revision 1.0
    uhub2 at usb2 "Intel UHCI root hub" rev 1.00/1.00 addr 1
    usb3 at uhci2: USB revision 1.0
    uhub3 at usb3 "Intel UHCI root hub" rev 1.00/1.00 addr 1
    usb4 at uhci3: USB revision 1.0
    uhub4 at usb4 "Intel UHCI root hub" rev 1.00/1.00 addr 1
    isa0 at pcib0
    isadma0 at isa0
    pckbc0 at isa0 port 0x60/5 irq 1 irq 12
    pckbd0 at pckbc0 (kbd slot)
    wskbd0 at pckbd0: console keyboard, using wsdisplay0
    pcppi0 at isa0 port 0x61
    spkr0 at pcppi0
    it0 at isa0 port 0x2e/2: IT8718F rev 5, EC port 0x290
    vscsi0 at root
    scsibus1 at vscsi0: 256 targets
    softraid0 at root
    scsibus1 at vscsi0: 256 targets
    softraid0 at root
    scsibus2 at softraid0: 256 targets
    root on wd0a (44411ab121b63e65.a) swap on wd0b dump on wd0b

RAM is not a typo, butcha know.. I can live with it.

• @WSS And you are lucky! You did get an e7500 with vt-x capabilities! Most of their e7500 servers do not have virtualization instructions (I have take a few over the last couple of years and only one out of 4 ended with vt-x enabled!).

• WSSWSS Member

@jvnadr said:
    @WSS And you are lucky! You did get an e7500 with vt-x capabilities! Most of their e7500 servers do not have virtualization instructions (I have take a few over the last couple of years and only one out of 4 ended with vt-x enabled!).

I saw that, and thought "Gee, this is nicer than my laptop. No console? No Void. OpenBSD time!"