Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I am not able to use the bittorrent client,it says the ports are closed,
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

I am not able to use the bittorrent client,it says the ports are closed,

rahulksrahulks Member
edited June 2013 in Help

I am not able to download any file using the torrent client ? Anyone know any solution for this ? can i use the port 80 ?

Will using a VPN will effective ?

Comments

• You can connect to torrent tracker which is running on tcp port 80.However to be able to download from seeders and leechers your outbound ports different than tcp 80 have to be allowed.You can try a VPN if your ports are blocked.

• Does anyone know any software or any website to check for open ports ?

@EarthVPN Are you sure that using a VPN like hotspotsheild will solve the problem?

• EarthVPNEarthVPN Member
    edited June 2013

If you want to check outbound tcp ports you can use below site:

http://portquiz.positon.org:9888 ( Change 9888 to try other ports.If you can browse means your tcp port is allowed )

You have to ask VPN provider if they allow torrenting(that is not possible at every location due to DMCA) and also outbound tcp and udp ports.

• rahulksrahulks Member
    edited June 2013

Will i be able to use port 80 in bittorrent ? since i am sure that port 80 is open otherwise any browser will not be able to connect to the internet.

Also by using the cmd netstat or netstat -ano in cmd prompt it show the ports that are open right? some localaddress start with
    127 and 192. which one should i use ?

• You can not use outbound tcp port 80 while downloading from seeders and leechers.

• Is anyone sure that if i use a VPN this problem will get solved?

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

No one knows in what circumstances you are, so we are not sure.

• some isps do block torrents completely on mobile broadband plans, while do traffic shaping for heavy users. You must figure out where you fit in and choose one of the following:
    1. VPN 2. Leech hosting 3. RDP
    There are TOS, Legal implications on each option, make sure you understand them before wetting you feet.

• Use an OpenVPN to hide yourself through port tcp 443 or other common ports. Only download things like Linux Distributions this way! Always remember distributing and downloading copyrighted materials would bring you trouble.

• Thanks guys