Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Workstation Uptime & Reboots
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Workstation Uptime & Reboots

Was wondering how people do their reboots. I never turn off my workstation, just close the lid and let it sleep.

$ uptime
 9:23  up 26 days, 2 hrs, 29 users, load averages: 2,18 1,95 1,68

Nowdays with SSD's reboots and startup times are most of the time faster than a sleep-wake-up, but I hate the fact that I have to login again on all websites and services and start all the programs again.

So, share your uptime and tell a bit about your reboot/shutdown preference?

Comments

• My laptop has reached 3 weeks uptime before. I just sleep and/or hibernate it, which doesn't reset the uptime counter. I need to reboot it soon, since Windows is complaining to me about wanting a reboot. I'll do it tomorrow...

• flyfly Member

i dont even believe in the sleep thing anymore... SSD boot time is almost as fast as waking from sleep, so no point in letting battery life trickle down

• johnlth93johnlth93 Member
    edited June 2013

I reboot my laptop very frequently

just my style ~

and i use Windows, so yeah

• eric1212eric1212 Member
    edited June 2013

I reboot about once a week for updates, and just to give it a nice reset.

Rarely reboot my notebook.

iMac:~ eric$ uptime

16:36 up 5 days, 21:27, 5 users, load averages: 0.67 0.60 0.88

• bcrlsnbcrlsn Member

Since I run a lot of programs that are heavy on ram I tend to restart about once a week to clear all the caches and flush the ram.

Uptime
    14:06 up 3 days, 22:22, 2 users, load averages: 1.86 2.40 2.34

• wdqwdq Member

I only ever shut down or reboot my computers when I really need to. My Mac was at 94+ days of uptime before it rebooted yesterday because of a power surge due to a lightning storm.

Usually power surges/outages are the only times my systems reboot.

The primary reason for never rebooting my systems is the fact that I just like to be able to just sit down and get working wherever I left off before without needing to reopen a program or anything.

In the past I also never rebooted my systems because hard drive based systems would take forever to reboot. Now that I have SSDs things are quite a bit faster so if I really wanted to I could probably hibernate my systems whenever I leave.

• tommytommy Member

I reboot my computer every 3 days :D

• jcalebjcaleb Member

i shutdown my personal laptop everyday.

i restart my work desktop/laptop when windows has too much memory leak. usually around 2 weeks

• My desktop only gets rebooted when I change hardware or the power fails for more than 15 minutes.

My laptop gets rebooted (force shutdown) more because of it's tendency to shut off before showing a low battery warning.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

My laptop had around 35 days of uptime, before I rebooted it yesterday.

• Shut it down whenever I finish with a system. SSD = rapid boot anyhow. It hurts psu / battery otherwise.

• awsonawson Member

I reboot it every few days or so for software/Windows updates.

• My PC has an SSD boot drive, so I shut it down nightly however my MacBook Pro (early) 2011 doesn't have SSD's so I only reboot it once a month when it slows to a terrible speed or the "I need to reboot due to updates" bugs me enough.

• My home workstation (desktop) is on 24/7 and I very rarely reboot it. My power company shuts it down for me every 30-60 days.... :)

• fapvpsfapvps Member

I reboot only when needed. Usually have an up time of over a month before software updates require a reboot.

• when a new kernel goes in!

• emreemre Member, LIR

I reboot whenever my cat jumps into my power button :D