Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hetzner added AMD Ryzen CPUs
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hetzner added AMD Ryzen CPUs

Thanked by 2vimalware willie

Comments

• jgillichjgillich Member
    edited April 2017

Based on Passmark, the Ryzen models are much faster.

• i7-6700 10038
    • Ryzen 5 1600X 13362

Both servers are 50 Euros. The Ryzen has two more cores, so it's not better for every usecase. But damn, I'm so happy AMD is finally back.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Someone should go buy a dedi and offer VPS here.

Thanked by 2yomero JackH
  • @Neoon said:

Maybe you can convince @exception0x876 of such a thing

• Are the virtualization instruction fully functional now? Ryzen feels like beta now, though it provides better bang for the buck, debug is more often needed.

edited April 2017

layfon said: Are the virtualization instruction fully functional now? Ryzen feels like beta now, though it provides better bang for the buck, debug is more often needed.

According to a quick Google search, visualization works fine. Hetzner probably wouldn't offer them if that were any different.

• exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR

@teamacc said:

@Neoon said:

While I like AMD and Ryzen in particular, the additional 10 euros on Hetzner Ryzen servers compared to Skylake models seems a bit off because the CPU prices are comparable.

• ihadpihadp Member
    edited April 2017

@exception0x876 said:

@teamacc said:

@Neoon said:

While I like AMD and Ryzen in particular, the additional 10 euros on Hetzner Ryzen servers compared to Skylake models seems a bit off because the CPU prices are comparable.

While the CPU price is important, you also have to consider power usage, ram, motherboard, heat, etc. as well.

I am willing to bet the motherboards are rather expensive and they use more power (and create more heat) than their Skylake counterparts.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • vimalwarevimalware Member
    edited April 2017

no mention of ECC ram.

If anyone orders and can post memory details, you have my virtual thank you. :)

• jacnojacno Member

you think hetzner would give a bro deal and let me try it and if it doesn't fit my needs within a few days i could just get a refund? Don't want to pay 99 euros to set it up and then find out its terrible for what i need it for

• exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR

@jacno said:
    you think hetzner would give a bro deal and let me try it and if it doesn't fit my needs within a few days i could just get a refund? Don't want to pay 99 euros to set it up and then find out its terrible for what i need it for

Hetzner does not charge you until the end of the month, so you can cancel it if you don't like it.

edited April 2017

jacno said: you think hetzner would give a bro deal and let me try it and if it doesn't fit my needs within a few days i could just get a refund? Don't want to pay 99 euros to set it up and then find out its terrible for what i need it for

Nope, they don't do refunds anymore. But you could email them, maybe they'll give you a server to test for a fixed amount, worth a try anyway.

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited April 2017

jgillich said: Nope, they don't do refunds anymore. But you could email them, maybe they'll give you a server to test for a fixed amount, worth a try anyway.

Their AGB (TOS) still states the 14-days-unconditional-money-back-guarantee. You might be wrong? I am quite sure that nothing has changed here. But I am just an unfriendly German. Don't trust me.

11.1 Right of withdrawal

You have the right to withdraw from this contract within fourteen days without giving any reason. The withdrawal period will expire after fourteen days from the day of the conclusion of the contract. To exercise the right of withdrawal, you must inform us (Hetzner Online GmbH, Industriestr. 25, 91710 Gunzenhausen, Germany, Telephone: +49 9831 505-0, Telefax: +49 9831 505-3, email: [email protected]) of your decision to withdraw from this contract by an unequivocal statement (e.g. a letter sent by post, fax, Email or via the secure online administrations interface). You may use the model withdrawal form, but it is not obligatory. To meet the withdrawal deadline, it is sufficient for you to send your communication concerning your exercise of the right of withdrawal before the withdrawal period has expired.

11.2 Consequences of withdrawal

If you withdraw from this contract, we shall reimburse to you all payments received from you, including the costs of delivery (with the exception of the supplementary costs resulting from your choice of a type of delivery other than the least expensive type of standard delivery offered by us) without undue delay and in any event not later than fourteen days from the day on which we are informed about your decision to withdraw from this contract. We will carry out such reimbursement using the same means of payment as you used for the initial transaction, unless you have expressly agreed otherwise, in any event, you will not
    incur any fees as a result of such reimbursement.

If you requested to begin the performance of service during the withdrawal period, you shall pay us an amount which is in proportion to what has been provided until you have communicated us your withdrawal from this contract, in comparison with the full coverage of the contract.

• Would love to try them out, but those setup fees are kind of ugly.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited April 2017

ihadp said: I am willing to bet the motherboards are rather expensive and they use more power (and create more heat) than their Skylake counterparts.

The boards are partly cheaper as AMD, as before, seems to subvention the chipset prices heavily. This was also the same to push AM1 (i paid ~ 15EUR ea for a bunch of AM1 boards from Asus).

ihadp said: and they use more power (and create more heat) than their Skylake counterparts.

The CPUs use more power, yes, chipset - no idea, AMD does unlike Intel not publish detailed data.

• BopieBopie Member

This is cool I suppose however i think waiting for their server CPU will be a better idea in my opinion.

• Bopie said: This is cool I suppose however i think waiting for their server CPU will be a better idea in my opinion.

As usual the desktop parts have ECC controllers and ECC support. The instruction set - as far as known - is also the same on server SKUs.

• also need Linux 4.10 or 4.11 kernels for Ryzen 7 for best performance and compatibility. Wonder if Hetzner is adding custom Linux 4.10+ kernels for all their OS images ?

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • williewillie Member
    edited April 2017

Too bad about the 500gb sata disks, that's disappointing compared to other Hetzner servers. Also that that they don't offer the 1800X which is just confusing to me: what's the point of it if you don't get the fastest one?

Nocix.net had some Ryzens a while back with iirc no setup fee, but I don't see them listed any more. The Hetzner setup fees are pretty steep.

I don't think a VPS on one of these would have much point, since you're sharing the cpu with other users, so you don't get the speed to yourself. Ryzen is a little bit slower than Kaby Lake for single core computing. They beat comparably priced Intel processors by having more cores at the same price.

There are power measurements and stuff in the Anandtech Ryzen review:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11170/the-amd-zen-and-ryzen-7-review-a-deep-dive-on-1800x-1700x-and-1700

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

willie said: Too bad about the 500gb sata disks, that's disappointing compared to other Hetzner servers.

It's a pair of 500GB SSDs. Pretty standard among Hetzner configs.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2017

Fucking cluster. Double post. Ignore me.

• eva2000 said: Wonder if Hetzner is adding custom Linux 4.10+ kernels for all their OS images ?

No, that would go against policy. You will need to rely on own install/Lara or there will be custom images only visible to this servers.

Thanked by 1MikeA
  • JackHJackH Member

@Neoon said:

Just taken a look and the pricing is impressive - if there's enough demand I will buy and sort out VPS provisioning for those interested

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • Pricing looks worse than the EX series all around, even if the cpu is a little bit faster from the higher core count:

https://www.hetzner.de/ot/hosting/produktmatrix/rootserver-produktmatrix-ex

• JackHJackH Member

@willie said:
    Pricing looks worse than the EX series all around, even if the cpu is a little bit faster from the higher core count:

https://www.hetzner.de/ot/hosting/produktmatrix/rootserver-produktmatrix-ex

I imagine a lot of that will be to do with the fact that Ryzen is relatively new and commercial support from AMD for datacenter usage on consumer chips I imagine is at a premium

• Just wait for x300 and x399 chipsets...:-)

Those would be really beasts

• williewillie Member
    edited April 2017

Harambe said: It's a pair of 500GB SSDs. Pretty standard among Hetzner configs.

Oh whoops! Thanks. Somehow I saw SATA and thought it was HDD's. This is much better, actually pretty nice. 64GB+8 cores+2x500GB split 16 ways = 4GB ram and 25GB raid1 ssd and a full dedicated thread within LET pricing with reasonable host margin. Not a bad vps offer at all. Too bad about that setup fee but even that's recovered within a few months.

• ^keep in mind, you pay extra for the IP subnet and KVM requires extra config to work (routed).

Thanked by 1Zerpy
  • @Amitz said:

jgillich said: Nope, they don't do refunds anymore. But you could email them, maybe they'll give you a server to test for a fixed amount, worth a try anyway.

Their AGB (TOS) still states the 14-days-unconditional-money-back-guarantee. You might be wrong? I am quite sure that nothing has changed here. But I am just an unfriendly German. Don't trust me.

Do you still have to pay the setup fee even if you cancel within 14 days?

• AmitzAmitz Member

Rodney said: Do you still have to pay the setup fee even if you cancel within 14 days?

This is something that I am at least not sure about. I guess not, but would be worth asking their support.

• @William said:
    ^keep in mind, you pay extra for the IP subnet and KVM requires extra config to work (routed).

Hmm, true, they charge a lot for IP's and you need the Flexipack and all that. Well, NAT+ipv6 works for me, maybe not for everyone.