Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Selling Unsustainable Plans & BAD Service to Customer :: A Good Practice ?? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Selling Unsustainable Plans & BAD Service to Customer :: A Good Practice ??

2»

Comments

• hostdarehostdare Member, Patron Provider
    edited April 2017

WSS said: His lion does not have a pretty green dress, either!

Your painting one was better ,btw do you sleep ? :D

• @hostdare said:

Ne he is a Sexcore Robot. We have had this discussion before.

edited April 2017

Did not see sorry ;) tag me in such important information haha

• WSSWSS Member

@AuroraZ said:

@hostdare said:

Ne he is a Sexcore Robot. We have had this discussion before.

INSERT COIN TO CONTINUE

@1:44

• @ihadp said:

@stefeman said:

@SV_Nick said:

@ihadp said:

@SV_Nick said:

@ihadp said:

@SV_Nick said:

@ihadp said:

@SV_Nick said:

@ihadp said:

@SV_Nick said:-

@hostdare said:

@cociu said:

hostdare said: 1000-2000 customers per node

i hope you have exagerate ...

Not really ,it is true .

I start getting itchy at 20 VMs on a node and that's with plenty of spare resource and plenty of Disk available for customers who want to expand their disk, extra cores and RAM without chucking them around nodes.

1000-2000 VMs P/Node! Crazy!!!

Pretty sure he was referring to shared web hosting..God I hope so.

So do I, I feel for those disks regardless if it's Web or VM!

Raid 0 baby!

No-RAID - WD Green 2.5" 5400RPM! Need to save costs.

Jbod it is, just expand that lvm and done!

Keeping it simple right? Less technical, more reliable? What's all this RAID nonsense?

Hmm, maybe just mount Google drive with rclone? Bam unlimited storage and unlimited io.

I like your thinking! Account straight from eBay and Google have backups right?

• Go to hackforums.net
    • Find some "unlimited space" webhost 1 USD/m
    • remote mount it's storage on your VPS ..node
    • Go production with nested virtualizion and nulled whmcs and sell 1 USD/lifetime plans untill nothing loads.

You should really keep your business plan secret, now you will have competition!

It's not a plan! It's in production now I just need to sell 1000 VMs on this nested virtual server.

• @hostdare said:
    hello

Yes it is kind of beefy nodes with big power cpu,lots of RAM, 8x1 TB ssd and raid 10 etc for those to handle . I have seen it myself while working for other people in a big company .

@SV_Nick who said it is 1000 vps per node ? It is 1000 cpanel customers/accounts per node !!

@hostdare said:
    I can tell you from my past experience that many 5 USD such plans are very popular and while the those host load at least 1000-2000 customers per node .

@hostdare - It kinda read that it was possibly VMs thought it was a bit ambitious!

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

I can only imagine that truly unsustainable plans must be offered on limited basis for the purpose of generating publicity, or for short term gains (possibly scam?).

If the service CAN be run indefinitely, then it is not unsustainable. So the question is how do cheap $5/yr VPS providers actually make it sustainable?

It is like compromise on performance.service down daily etc .When you buy a 5 USD vps , expectations should be lowest level !

• @randvegeta said:
    I can only imagine that truly unsustainable plans must be offered on limited basis for the purpose of generating publicity, or for short term gains (possibly scam?).

If the service CAN be run indefinitely, then it is not unsustainable. So the question is how do cheap $5/yr VPS providers actually make it sustainable?

I don't even charge friends $5 P/Year because I still want to provide them a good service, reliability but it does question to why people would want to do that, it cannot be profitable and with it being $5 I'm not even going to get a coffee and a sandwich let alone pay for my fuel when I need to drive to the Datacenter.

Thanked by 1AuroraZ
  • Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran

@stefeman said:
    If I pay 5 USD/year, I'm kinda expecting it to work, but I wouldn't have any demands on the performance or support at that price. As long as you make it clear that there is no performance guarantee and that it's unmanaged, it will be a good deal for both the customer and the provider.

3 second loading time is for 5 USD/year is perfectly fine in webhosting in my opinion. If you asked for 5 USD/m, then you should be far more competitive.

3 second is far more acceptable than My expectation. Moreover, 6-7 second is more than acceptable. What if nothing loads in 1 Minute ??

@DigitalFyre said:
    Honestly, OP. What did you expect for a hosting plan that costs less that 45¢ per month? Of course the server is oversold to death and back.

If your provider stated that there's SLA and support will be best effort, it's not unreasonable of them considering how much they're selling for. You bet what you pay for.

Now, is this business model sustainable? No, it is not. Sooner or later it will become too much to handle. Sometimes it's worth it to pay extra.

Now... I am not saying that every cheap hosting service is bad. Some providers like Jardland and Francisco know how to balance things out and offer low pricing.

And, Honestly, none will ask for SLA, Support for 45¢/Month. But, shouldn't it load ?? :v And if you can't provide that can even load, why to sell such plan ?? Just to get some email address/whatever else + $5 sounds legit :P

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

Mahfuz_SS_EHL said: But, shouldn't it load ??

Yes it SHOULD, but 1 must consider what is being loaded.

If the server is struggling to serve static content in under 7 seconds, then it's never really acceptable (assuming we are talking about CPU load here). Since loading time can be affected by latency, and data transfer rates, this may need to be factored in. But assuming you have low latency and your usage is very low (reasonable) then you should always expect fast loading times since static content requires virtually no resources at all.

If you have a fully loaded WordPress on the other hand, without any real optimizations, then heck, even not loading at all could be considered reasonable, since your usage may be greater than you would expect, or even considered 'fair'.

@randvegeta said:

Mahfuz_SS_EHL said: But, shouldn't it load ??

Yes it SHOULD, but 1 must consider what is being loaded.

If the server is struggling to serve static content in under 7 seconds, then it's never really acceptable (assuming we are talking about CPU load here). Since loading time can be affected by latency, and data transfer rates, this may need to be factored in. But assuming you have low latency and your usage is very low (reasonable) then you should always expect fast loading times since static content requires virtually no resources at all.

If you have a fully loaded WordPress on the other hand, without any real optimizations, then heck, even not loading at all could be considered reasonable, since your usage may be greater than you would expect, or even considered 'fair'.

Maintaining Dedicated Server for more than 4 Years, I know about these factors, don't worry. No WP, it can't load simple html files.

• Mahfuz_SS_EHL said: No WP, it can't load simple html files.

Then the server is either underpowered, or overloaded & oversold, or all of it. I've seen servers with up to 4000 users that actually work just fine.

@DigitalFyre said:

Mahfuz_SS_EHL said: No WP, it can't load simple html files.

Then the server is either underpowered, or overloaded & oversold, or all of it. I've seen servers with up to 4000 users that actually work just fine.

Whatever it is, not of My concern. They should provide something that actually works !

• Mahfuz_SS_EHL said: They should provide something that actually works !

I can't and won't argue with that. At this point, you should looking for an alternative.

• If you do not think this works and well, I mean this style of management then take a good long look at WalMart.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Plans and prices like this is the only way some providers can make it.

They have no money in reserve to make the monthly bills so they need to do stupid pricing to cover rent for coming month(s).

Back when LEA was still king it was incredibly common to see providers kick out $15/year plans in hopes of generating enough float to carry them through the year. The problem is that many of these providers cashed that money out and spent it on personal stuff, etc.

Francisco

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited April 2017

Well, some LES provider claimed 350 OVZ on Raid 1.

• johnnymattjohnnymatt Member
    edited April 2017

@Mahfuz_SS_EHL @jarland said: Yes this is generally a good practice. The more unsustainable and the worse the service, the more acceptable it is.

The situation is much more complex and in in your description also falls (some) VPS Providers. I give you an example. I buy 3 months ago two 30€ Year plans of 6GB Ram, 40GB Space,2 vCPU Cores from a UK Provider that post on LET too (PS: provider tag). I use Nodequery for vps load check and Nixstats for Domain Timeout check. I receive domain timeout alert from Nixstats and vps alert from Nodequery about high server load even if my domains are idle and not generating traffic at all. I try to access ssh and vps is unresponsive, i try to access solus and is generating a timeout error, i try to load the domain and obviously does not respond. Always the same problems (OFC The vps was haaaaaaard oversold) several times in a day.

• First ticket > I try to say politely about the timeout issues.
    • Reply > Its Solus stats (im already laughing, im not a jerk), waiting a patch...
    • Second Ticket > Always same problem. I ask to move the VPS in another "Node" and OFC the same problem.
    • Third Ticket > "It's a VPS" (its a shame i didnt took a screenshot)
    • Last Ticket > I ask to terminate the VPS (politely, no need for Drama) and to give me at least a Storage VPS.
    • Reply > VPS Works. "Sensitive monitoring are causing me distress"
    • My Reply > "Close my Account, Delete my Identification Data, Try to be more polite with your customers. It helps you finally grow up, what you have finally not yet managed".

There is a sea of ​​mediocrity and Yes, Just selling & making profit is a short term strategy for many people (it's sad). Its not a long term strategy because you dont fool me twice (and I will make you goood advertising ;)) and an unhappy customer means that you lose at least 10 potential customers.

@DigitalFyre said:

Mahfuz_SS_EHL said: They should provide something that actually works !

I can't and won't argue with that. At this point, you should looking for an alternative.

I have mentioned earlier, I had no expectation from them as I know the reality. I just paid for the product just to try out curiosity & I was not wrong. It turned into just the same I thought. And, here we're discussing the point of doing these sort of stuffs.

I think, @johnnymatt clarified the issue smoothly :D