Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Single-home Cogent AS174 - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Single-home Cogent AS174

13»

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    edited April 2017

hostdare said: Wow due to cc ? Cc had single homed in buffalo before but I think this is fixed now . There were enough thread about them for that . Buffalo is now okaish with my test from multiple locations .

There's others listed too. My point is that we already mentioned that steps were already being taken to add additional providers on our end and anyone that's a client is welcome to contact me (ticket is preferred) and I'll go over the options we're looking to implement or are considering.

You're right though, they have a handful of providers over there and things seem to be running well now that they got the Juniper in place.

Francisco

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • JSCLJSCL Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2017

I should add that I have some servers in colo in multiple Cogent DC's for a personal project (not work related) currently running single-homed but soon to add another carrier.

I completely echo what F is saying. I actually see better routes from Cogent London & Paris than from providers with 'blends' in those same locations. It depends on your needs, but Cogent still remains one of the best peered networks and if you're going to go single-homed... there are worse choices.

But when operating a smaller capacity, adding in another carrier is a big project to undertake. Cogent aren't bas---ds to deal with from what I've seen. In London, I'm looking at a LINX port and pulling in transit that way and Cogent have been more than prepared to facilitate that.

Thanked by 1JackH
  • Cogent is good yes but not the best if you need as singlehome depend what you need.

You could also think to do something like Cogent-LV3

• hostdare said: I can imagine the shit-storm it would have been , if colocrossing is doing single homed say in buffalo . They are better !

CC was as @francisco said WAY worse for a long time, just remember the odd:even IP route differences in BUF.

Linode was FMT1 singlehomed HE forever (prob still is also).

Microlinux said: None of them affect me. No problem for lots of other people, either.

I would recommend googling that and also reading NANOG. Then the Level3 blog. Then the HE blog and Twitter. Then come back and say that again.

I personally had my traffic from UPC Austria to DTAG (Germany, 15ms route) route via Level3 to NEW YORK and back by Cogent (130ms) for more than 4 years until UPC decided it is time to get Cogent and less Level3.

Francisco said: Lots of failures in Luxembourg because of their old Cisco's and some funny port channel setup.

Is that what they told you? You might want to ask about the probably 100Gbit+ Torrent traffic 24/7 going over their network. I have seen Steinsel, it's modern switching gear and the routing HW is modern also.

dmzhost said: You could also think to do something like Cogent-LV3

Only with heavy manual work, as L3 is as path more near to many.

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep

I'll echo @Francisco here. Almost every colo/data center provider's bandwidth mix we've used so far left a lot to be desired. Once you have enough traffic, you are almost always better served running your own network with direct connectivity to transit providers.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

William said: Is that what they told you? You might want to ask about the probably 100Gbit+ Torrent traffic 24/7 going over their network. I have seen Steinsel, it's modern switching gear and the routing HW is modern also.

I only know what i'm told, I'm obviously not within driving distance to go yell at them when they botched things. They supposedly replaced everything with Juniper stuff and its been mostly fine since. Some IPTransit issues and their setup dropped a couple of our sessions, but I'm pretty sure the sessions weren't entirely their fault.

William said: Linode was FMT1 singlehomed HE forever (prob still is also).

They moved everything to FMT2 at some point due to power constraints in FMT1 last I heard. They're still in there but made HE give them room on their pipe to Coresite where they have their own stuff lit up.

qps said: Almost every colo/data center provider's bandwidth mix we've used so far left a lot to be desired.

I should've done this a long time ago but I had other things I wanted to focus on and hoped to let the DC's handle things for us. Wasn't a great choice, but better late than never.

Francisco

• William said: I would recommend googling that and also reading NANOG. Then the Level3 blog. Then the HE blog and Twitter. Then come back and say that again.

I don't know if there's language barrier here or what.

You keep offering statements that have no bearing on my requirements. Or many others. At the same time, they do affect many people. Those people would be ill-advised to use a Cogent-only provider.

I personally had my traffic from UPC Austria to DTAG (Germany, 15ms route) route via Level3 to NEW YORK and back by Cogent (130ms) for more than 4 years until UPC decided it is time to get Cogent and less Level3.

If I ever build a time machine and need to send latency sensitive traffic from UPC to DTAG during that time period, I'll be sure to remember this.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited April 2017

Microlinux said: If I ever build a time machine and need to send latency sensitive traffic from UPC to DTAG during that time period, I'll be sure to remember this.

Sure. Not like there are other issues now. This also, as you should know, does NOT only affect latency but also majorly throughput.

We have multiple probes on UPC at mtr.sh - check yourself, routes to neighbour countries going outside EU. Some even to Asia. Some Slovenian ISPs cross Moscow.

We also have other residential probes in multiple countries, which exhibit similar things.

Now, the counter example - Israel forces all ISPs to peer local or you do not get a telco license. That is the way to do.

• @William said:
    This also, as you should know, does NOT only affect latency but also majorly throughput.

Primarily TCP throughput, in the direct sense. I was making a point - the only things that matter are the things that matter.

I understand Cogent has issues, I clearly stated that. However, I don't care about things that don't matter to me.

There are situations where Cogent-only is fine. There are also situations where its the abhorrent disaster you are peddling. If the latter, the solution is to avoid Cogent-only services.

If it doesn't work for you, don't use a single-homed Cogent service and accept that might be fine for some purposes.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited April 2017

Microlinux said: If it doesn't work for you, don't use a single-homed Cogent service and accept that might be fine for some purposes.

Yes, there are usage cases for singlehomed Cogent (like.. Cogent customers...) and i did note that both here and in other threads, especially FDC.

That is the point - now we could argue that if you bought a service at BuyVM in Choopa you got a much better BW than now, effectively downgrading your quality by far (IN THEORY, in reality as others have noted by various Choopa issues it is mostly on-par), but that is not something i care about (neither do i have any more BuyVM services, i think they allowed me to keep mine after that ticket idiot reply to me, but i don't want them anymore).

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@Francisco said:

@hostdare said:
    I can imagine the shit-storm it would have been , if colocrossing is doing single homed say in buffalo . They are better !

Well, buckle up.

• Colocrossing's Buffalo location was singlehomed Level 3 for 6 or so month and to this day has yet to get IPV6 online.
    • Colocrossing's San Jose location was pure GTT for years and is likely pure Zayo now.
    • Colocrossing's Seattle location is located in a zColo location with only Zayo available.

Regarding the above:

1. For a short period of time in 2012 most of our traffic went in and out of Level3. We did, however, have transit from other sources as backup, so to be fair, the network was never singlehomed. That ended in October 2012 when we added Telia.

2. The San Jose network is multihomed, but with a preference to GTT and NTT for higher performance.

3. Our Seattle space is inside the WowRack facility in Seattle, not zColo. It is multihomed.

Hope that helps!

Thanks

Thanked by 1hostdare

Oh, and to anyone considering singlehoming to Cogent. Bad, bad, bad.

We avoid using them even in multihomed networks today.

• WSSWSS Member

@jbiloh said:

Much like IPv6?

Thanked by 1brueggus
  • hawchawc Moderator, LIR

@WSS said:

@jbiloh said:

Much like IPv6?

IPv6 isn't even in @jbiloh's vocabulary

• WSSWSS Member

@hawc said:

@WSS said:

@jbiloh said:

Much like IPv6?

IPv6 isn't even in @jbiloh's vocabulary

Hell, even my dog has that figured out..

@WSS said:

That's an awesome video.

• WSSWSS Member

The best part is that he did the mathematics himself because TeX is pretty difficult.

Thanked by 1sin
  • hawchawc Moderator, LIR

@jbiloh said:

@WSS said:

That's an awesome videoGIF.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@jbiloh said:

How would you go about improving connectivity to your potential Customers singlehomed to Cogent without using Cogent ?

Clouvider said: How would you go about improving connectivity to your potential Customers singlehomed to Cogent without using Cogent ?

I understand the argument that Cogent is great for reaching other Cogent customers but in our experience we've had no issues reaching those end users without having Cogent in our network blends.

• WSSWSS Member

@jbiloh said:

Clouvider said: How would you go about improving connectivity to your potential Customers singlehomed to Cogent without using Cogent ?

I understand the argument that Cogent is great for reaching other Cogent customers but in our experience we've had no issues reaching those end users without having Cogent in our network blends.

How about those without IPv4 connectivity? I know- the forum hasn't been updated in nearly 10 years, so why should the protocols- but

WHAT THE FUCK?

I'm tunneling HE just because your lazy asses don't give half a toss. How much longer do you think you'll still have a stranglehold on our cheap asses? I won't be renewing if I have to continue to rely on HE- because I could have done that nearly a decade ago with a cheaper, better network.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@WSS said:

@jbiloh said:

How about those without IPv4 connectivity? I know- the forum hasn't been updated in nearly 10 years, so why should the protocols- but

WHAT THE FUCK?

I'm tunneling HE just because your lazy asses don't give half a toss. How much longer do you think you'll still have a stranglehold on our cheap asses? I won't be renewing if I have to continue to rely on HE- because I could have done that nearly a decade ago with a cheaper, better network.

As long as the cost of not heaving IPv6 for you will be lower than the price difference to their next competitor with v6 enabled ;-). Pure economy :P

Thanked by 1WSS
  • WSSWSS Member

@Clouvider said:
    As long as the cost of not heaving IPv6 for you will be lower than the price difference to their next competitor with v6 enabled ;-). Pure economy :P

Sure, but they've been maintaining this foruHAHAHAHAHAHAHA sorry I can't complete that statement.

Thanked by 1AuroraZ