Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Epenis Node Race
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Epenis Node Race

DomainBopDomainBop Member
edited June 2013 in Providers

Netcraft article showing DigitalOcean has grown from 138 servers in December to 7,134 now.

Hosting provider   December 2012   June 2013   Growth  Growth (%)
Amazon  134,117 165,438 +31,321 +23.35%
Alibaba 6,649   17,347  +10,699 +160.91%
Hetzner 75,880  84,896  +9,016  +11.88%
DigitalOcean    138 7,134   +6,996  +5084.64%
OVH 90,305  96,558  +6,253  +6.92%
Shore Network Tech (Linode) 54,051  57,701  +3,650  +6.75%

http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2013/06/13/the-meteoric-rise-of-digitalocean.html

congratulations to @zagi but I'm still not going to forgive you for your brutal assault on the lovable pets.com mascot (yeah, the one below)

Comments

• IshaqIshaq Member
    edited June 2013

wonders what CVPS has to do with anything

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

@lshaq no idea

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

I really question the validity of that data.

• MunMun Member

I really question the validity of ColoCrossing.

• fapvpsfapvps Member

That is impressive to say the least...

• pavspavs Member

This thread shows that DO is popular among a certain group of users who are both very hard to please and also potentially huge market:

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=5874185

Seriously DO took a risk, played their card well (mostly) and understood the market very very well, and now cashing in.

• NickGHNickGH Member

@fapvps said:
    That is impressive to say the least...

@jbiloh said:
    I really question the validity of that data.

If it is true that is one for the records in my opinion.

How do they define a "web facing computer" ?

• fapvpsfapvps Member

@jbiloh said:

Anything that is facing the open internet and providing a service. A client workstation would not be called internet facing because it is behind a firewall/nat and is not servicing anything on the open internet. I guess they should have said web facing server but I guess they decided to use computer so anyone can understand it including the non technical people who may not even know what a server is.

• DomainBopDomainBop Member
    edited June 2013

@jbiloh said:

I'm assuming that "web facing computer" = (dedicated) server because the numbers given for Hetzner and OVH are fairly close to the number of servers both companies PR releases have claimed.

The one name on that list I was the most surprised to see was Alibaba. When did they start offering cloud services?

edit: in answer to my own question, Alibaba entered the cloud race in 2009 (Aliyun.com)

I'm pretty sure they are including virtualized computers in the count because their numbers for linode are impossibly wrong otherwise.

• DomainBopDomainBop Member
    edited June 2013

@jbiloh said:
    I'm pretty sure they are including virtualized computers in the count because their numbers for linode are impossibly wrong otherwise.

From their hosting provider survey it looks like they try to identify IPs that are hosted on the same physical server (node) and only count the main server IP in their count of "web facing computers" but there is a margin of error which could account for the high Linode server numbers. A recent Linode profile I read said Linode had 40,000 customers and its servers hosted 180,000 websites so the 57K server (node) figure is likely inflated.

TL;DR: Netcraft tries not to count virtualized servers in their count but their methodology isn't perfect

By arranging for a number of IP addresses to send packets to us near simultaneously, low level TCP/IP characteristics can be used to work out, within an error margin, if those packets originate from the same computer, by checking for similarities in a number of TCP/IP protocol header fields. To build up sufficient certainty that IP addresses on the same computer have been identified, many visits to the sites in the Web Server Survey are necessary, which takes place during a period of over a month.

http://www.netcraft.com/internet-data-mining/hosting-provider-server-count/

edited to add: based on the info below, it looks like @jbiloh is right about Linode's numbers. :)

Virtualisation technologies will yield different results in the survey depending on their implementation.

For example:

Solutions that use the same IP address for multiple virtual servers (e.g. VMware NAT networking) will count as one computer.

Solutions that use a single operating system kernel and TCP/IP stack for multiple virtual user-lands (e.g. user-mode Linux, FreeBSD jails) will count as one computer.

Solutions that have different operating system kernels handling different IP addresses (e.g. VMware in bridged mode) will count as separate computers.