Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Good tool to manage all these servers....?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Good tool to manage all these servers....?

louisphlouisph Member

So in a sense we all made provisions in the Easter thread, but was wondering if anyone had a good suggestion of a software/dashboard to keep tabs on all our precious vps/servers?

I know I could use each provider's but mostly look for something more central, provider agnostic...

Comments

• Me too. But most of the users buy and just let it idling :D

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Do you mean...

(a) monitoring

(b) job control (e.g., RunDeck)

(c) configuration management (e.g., ansible)

?

• WSSWSS Member

Like hosting your own monitoring? Monit, Munin, etc, etc, etc..

• Thinking monitoring ... monit looks kind of cool

• I guess he is searching for monitoring and management. Like a complete dashboard for everything. Thats what im looking for

• louisphlouisph Member
    edited April 2017

Yeah,

The best analogy I can come up with right now is something of a webui where I can keep track of tasks and possibly do a few basic tasks... but mostly see which provider disappeared overnight ;)

• WSSWSS Member

@louisph said:
    Yeah,

mostly see which provider disappeared overnight ;)

You're already here, though..

Thanked by 1jiggawatt
  • Add all of them to Newrelic , if a server goes down , it gets hidden in the control panel. Could get tedious if you have a lot of servers though.

• PRTG?

• FalzoFalzo Member

Observium

• ucxoucxo Member

@Falzo said:
    Observium

The developer is an asshole. Use LibreNMS (a fork of Observium) instead.

Thanked by 3Falzo dragon2611 tmwc
  • vimalwarevimalware Member
    edited April 2017

Start with Ansible, then everything else on top.

Redhat should be a good steward(ansible current owner/maintainer) . Python3 path is guaranteed I think.

Thanked by 1ehab
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

I never quite understood why people have so many VPS servers, I mean, I appreciate things scale up, but when it gets to this point and you need advice on managing them, you went too far :)

For the sake of management at a certain scale you are so much better off getting a couple of dedi's and installing proxmox or vmware and then you have central management and flexibility.

Personally I think if you have 8+ your at that stage.

• vimalwarevimalware Member
    edited April 2017

@AnthonySmith said:
    I never quite understood why people have so many VPS servers,

I just have a handful of cheap ones in critical IXs near to me for my browsing traffic.

Singapore, Pune, Amsterdam, London to switch VPN between, whenever my state-run ISP's routes get certifiably STUPID.

But yeah, all web and self-hosted are now consolidated on two cheap dediboxes in Proxmox cluster + couple failover_IPs.
    +Holding on to a dediserve resource-pool and a couple of InceptionHosting BF KVMs for aux serviceVMs.

The logical final stage of LET user evolution is close.

• FalzoFalzo Member

@ucxo said:

@Falzo said:
    Observium

The developer is an asshole. Use LibreNMS (a fork of Observium) instead.

didn't know that, care to explain? will have a look into librenms then ;-)

• alexnjhalexnjh Member
    edited April 2017

Ansible with a UI, Monitoring LibreNMS is pretty good.

• @vimalware
    I just have a handful of cheap ones in critical IXs near to me for my browsing traffic.

Singapore, Pune, Amsterdam, London to switch VPN between, whenever my state-run ISP's routes get certifiably STUPID.

Offtopic but who do you use in Pune, LeapSwitch?

• @advarisk said:
    Offtopic but who do you use in Pune, LeapSwitch?

Quadhost openvz in Pune(LeapSwitch Network).
    I waited for a Yearly-special /coupon-code.

There's i-83 if you can manage with shared IPV4.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    1. I would pick external Monitoring: Uptimerobot, Statuscake, Bearmon or Night-Sky.

Get at least 2 of those, to make sure if something dies at one side, it does not affect your Monitoring.

1. Get internal Monitoring aka resource Monitoring like LibreNMS.

2. Keep track of each box, when it expires, login details..

3. Try to automate Updates, Like a tool which can deploy with a single click updates on all of these boxes. DO NOT run that process complete automated, it may break your system.

Its not witchcraft.

• Take a look at ISPConfig. Open Source and it will handle 1 to 100's of linux VPS's or dedicated servers all thru a single control panel. Makes it easy to stay on top of things.

• @AnthonySmith said:
    I never quite understood why people have so many VPS servers, I mean, I appreciate things scale up, but when it gets to this point and you need advice on managing them, you went too far :)

For the sake of management at a certain scale you are so much better off getting a couple of dedi's and installing proxmox or vmware and then you have central management and flexibility.

Personally I think if you have 8+ your at that stage.

You are right - if all of them are in geo proximity. But some are expressly looking to have different providers and different locations.

Btw. I didn't say that (under certain limits) you are right for politeness; I mean it and I live it. I have a dedi with some VMs on it. But I also want/need different providers/locations for quite some things.

• mostly https://asyd.eu/ but also Jenkins currently (not so nice to use tho).

Thanked by 1ehab
  • runcloud does what I need

• edited April 2017

@AnthonySmith said:

Figuring things out is part of the fun, isn't it? :) We all have to start somewhere.

Are people better off? I mean, one bad patch/command and the box is hosed. Most providers don't have on demand console access for dedis, and they also don't have shared storage for HA failover. Shared storage can be fixed, but paying people to provide the infrastructure is sort of the point of VPSes.

Dedis are more flexible, but having dedis also doesn't fix the central problem of managing and monitoring the servers and applications. They're just one more thing.

You're not wrong, but there are reasons for sticking with VPSes. :)

One of the more interesting things is hybrid setups. VMs with dedicated resources, but they're still able to take advantage of being a VM.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

flatland_spider said: but having dedis also doesn't fix the central problem of managing and monitoring the servers and applications.

True, I was coming to it from the perspective of managing the VPS inventory rather than the services they run, for example proxmox or esx you have all your virtual servers in 1 GUI then.

Everyone has different levels of need though I guess, for some many VM's with many hosts with many logins, many invoices and many VPS management portals is preferable to having 1 or maybe 2 dedicated servers with 1 login and 1 web UI.