Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LEMP + Apache + WordPress
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LEMP + Apache + WordPress

Hello,

I am looking to run a VPS with LEMP + apache to run multiple wordpress websites.

I have used ServerPilot but I dont like the fact that it is restricted to Ubuntu only.

Has anyone seen any decent guides on LEMP stacks designed for wordpress websites?

I've used easyengine, but it seems to be outdated and somewhat neglected lately.

Any ideas?

Comments

• I have also tried centminmod, but somewhat complicated for my needs.

• sonicsonic Veteran

What is your issue with Centminmod?

• sonicsonic Veteran
    edited April 2017

How about Serverpilot? Im looking at this

• FalzoFalzo Member

Try vestacp comes with nginx+apache out of the box including the choice per vhost of using php on prefork or via fastcgi. Also brings letsencrypt and more useful stuff...

Thanked by 1sonic
  • sonicsonic Veteran

@Falzo said:
    Try vestacp comes with nginx+apache out of the box including the choice per vhost of using php on prefork or via fastcgi. Also brings letsencrypt and more useful stuff...

Does this faster than Centminmod?

• FalzoFalzo Member

In which way faster? If your site is fast depends on your server setup not the panel itself. :-)

nginx as a reverse proxy is a good start. But of course there are a lot of possibilities to increase performance... vesta is a control panel for setting up domains/vhost , not a tuning tool ;-)

• @sonic said:

@Falzo said:

Does this faster than Centminmod?

Nothing is faster than Centminmod.

• HybridHybrid Member
    edited April 2017

Whats so complicated about centmin? Its a one copy/paste command to install it

• joshuah said: I have also tried centminmod, but somewhat complicated for my needs.

Install of Centmin Mod should be easier though the Centmin Mod way of doing things maybe slightly different to traditional stacks and distro supplied packages but ultimately how much you get out of Centmin Mod depends on how much you put into reading & learning about it https://community.centminmod.com/threads/guide-to-learning-more-about-centmin-mod.10838/ :)

I'm pretty confident that Centmin Mod LEMP stack out of box install performance would beat pretty much any other auto installed LEMP stack installer or standard how to guide LEMP stack install setups due to auto optimisation of the Centmin Mod LEMP stack and the way Nginx, PHP-FPM and MariaDB are installed and configured out of the box. Afterall, if you do things the same way as other LEMP stacks, you end up with the same kind of performance - hence why Centmin Mod way of doing things is different :) Out of box Centmin Mod isn't even the best performance config you can achieve, there's optional features you can enable yourself that further boost performance if you choose to. Some of these options are touched on at https://community.centminmod.com/posts/46152/

With VestaCP on CentOS be careful and double check the Apache build date as I found while migrating a client from VestaCP to Centmin Mod that VestaCP's Apache version is custom built by VestaCP 34+ months ago with no updates for security fixes and bug fixes since then https://community.centminmod.com/threads/vestacp-ouch-no-http-2-and-outdated-apache.10114/ ! Ubuntu VestaCP might be different for Apache package. But I'd double check anyway.

sonic said: Does this faster than Centminmod?

It's not what you use but how you use it that matters for 90% of optimisations. If you have the know how you can make any LEMP, LAMP or LEMP/LAMP hybrid setup performance very well. But out of the box performance generally would favour from best to worst = LEMP, LEMP hybrid with Nginx reverse proxy in front of Apache, and then LAMP - provided they're optimally configured.

LEMP hybrid would only accelerate static file server generally with dynamic PHP requests forwarding back to Apache which is where the weakness is as ultimately PHP performance driven by Apache wouldn't scale as well due to higher resource consumption from Apache end. LEMP hybrid with Apache backend works well for most folks as majority of a web page's http resources loaded are static file based.

It's stepping stone for performance, so if you start out with LAMP with Apache and need the next step for performance it would be LEMP Hybrid and then next step LEMP only stack i.e. Centmin Mod LEMP :)

Regardless of whatever choice is made the same principles apply - ultimately how much you get out of the web stack of your choice, depends on how much you put into reading & learning about it :) ;)

Thanked by 2ljseals MTUser2012
  • Hey mate, I appreciate your input on the subject.

FYI . I have done some basic benchmarks with an out of box install of wordpress. I'll private message you the results to see your thoughts.