Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any way to quickly destory all edits on a vps?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any way to quickly destory all edits on a vps?

Hi,

Is there any way using which I can undo all changes done or like create something in a vps which can be destroyed and created within seconds but have all features of a ubuntu server?

Like, I am setting some web app with a server and I need to try commands again and again like If I install apache I have to uninstall it again to test new command.

Comments

• You can take a snapshot, run the command, than resotre the snapshot over and over and over...

• You can easily re-install your VPS if not satisfied with the changes.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

You can do this easily in Virtualbox or VMware...create the image, create a restore point (or many), and go back to any point in time.

With a VPS, snapshots can achieve the same. Reinstall takes you back to factory.

One other approach is to only login to your VPS once to put your ssh keys in place, and then do everything else through ansible. That makes it easy to nuke-and-recreate at any point fearlessly.

• jlayjlay Member

Containers are great for quick testing and standardizing deployments. They don't require special virtualization features and can be run in a VPS. Check out something like Docker.

• Check out Lethe and Ofris

• WSSWSS Member

..ask the Clintons for a bit of storage space?

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • Thanks, I did bit. Also what do you say about LXD for same (in production). To create new container on API request for WordPress securely.