Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The EU cookies stupidity?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

The EU cookies stupidity?

So what are you guys doing about the stupid EU cookies law? None of the local websites i visit implement it, but i was thinking about just adding a line of text in the footer of the website:

"This website uses cookies. If you don't agree, please immediately close this window"

Thoughts?

Comments

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@rds100 said:

"This website uses cookies. If you don't agree, please immediately close this window"

Thoughts?

That works, I could have sworn I heard something about that law being called off. Anyhow, on my websites I use this thing; http://www.civicuk.com/cookie-law.

• rds100rds100 Member

@infinity thanks. I absolutely hate popups so i wouldn't put one :)

• JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited June 2013

@rds100 said:

So what are you guys doing about the stupid EU cookies law? None of the local websites i visit implement it, but i was thinking about just adding a line of text in the footer of the website:

Thoughts?

To be honest i didn't even know about the EU cookies law until now (but i know that authorities everywhere are able to request data if there is open legal case), what i have noticed since long time ago is that local websites of serious companies, for example (but not limited to) big ISPs are always including that info in additional webpage, accessible via a link somewhere on the bottom of the site, or the very end section of the menu. Also there is information about the server log - that IPs and requests are being logged and all that info shall be sent to the authorities if requested. Usually this info is merged in one policy of privacy page or privacy statement page. It's also stated that if one does not agree with the terms must leave the page immediately. It's not that noticeable such as annoying pop-up or similar but it's there.

PS: My country, Macedonia is in Europe, but not in the European Union, so far.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited June 2013

The ICO has powers which can include a fine of up to half a million pounds. Although they won't issue fines except in serious cases, they can still force you to change your website to comply with the law.

I am not in hurry :P

I decided to ignore it - for now, to see how this law will be enforced in my country and then decide. In case they strictly enforce this stupid rule I am afraid that "we have cookies, gtfo if you don't like it" footer text won't be enough and it will be required to get visitors consent or redirect them to find out more.

Does any popular website so far contain "opt-out or opt-in" cookie control or just "I agree or No, I want to find out more"?

• alexalex Member

@Spirit: google has opt-out, however not really sure if we should trust it ;)

• erhwegesrgsrerhwegesrgsr Member
    edited June 2013

The law was blown in life by dumbass politicians.

After a lot of pressure from developers that EVERY PHP website already uses tracking cookies and that this doesn't stop the bad guys, they decided to call it off.

http://www.interactivered.com/blog/2013/02/goodbye-eu-cookie-law/
    http://libertarianhome.co.uk/2013/01/the-stupid-cookie-law-is-dead-at-last/

• VladorzVladorz Member
    edited June 2013

I've seen it implemented on some big websites (like google) but it starts to be annoying to close all those hovering divs that tell me I'm being watched :))

Edit:

@erhwegesrgsr said:

After a lot of pressure from developers that EVERY PHP website already uses tracking cookies and that this doesn't stop the bad guys, they decided to call it off.

I didn't know it was called off. Well, it was stupid anyway

• SpiritSpirit Member

@Vladorz it's not called off. Each Member State has some discretion in how it implements a Directive, the cookie laws in other European countries may differ from those of the UK.

• I hope it gets called off. It's silly.

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

@Spirit said:
    Vladorz it's not called off. Each Member State has some discretion in how it implements a Directive, the cookie laws in other European countries may differ from those of the UK.

Any chance there is a listing the rules / requirements for each state?

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited June 2013

@SplitIce said:
    Any chance there is a listing the rules / requirements for each state?

http://www.cookiepedia.co.uk/index.php?title=Cookie_Law_Across_Europe

...but it's outdated for some countries.

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2013

Thanks @Spirit

I so gotta add an opt-out in the form of logging people out and that's all. (German Law). At-least that's my interpretation of implementing an opt-out where the only cookies are for logged in sessions.