Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Amazon S3 for server backups - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Amazon S3 for server backups

13»

Comments

• Has anyone run Minio successfully no openvz VPS with just the x64 binary?

I have some idlers .

• simonindiasimonindia Member
    edited April 2017

@vimalware said:
    Has anyone run Minio successfully no openvz VPS with just the x64 binary?

I have some idlers .

I have had great test run on an 128MB kvm box but decided to drop the minio for other project as usual i don't use Object storage much.

And their client mc is great I have just used the binary nothing more for the server & client.

I will see if my friend has his setup running or not had an distributed setup on vultr storage servers will ask him if has it.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @vimalware said:

Hi,
    I did run it without any issue on Debian8 - OpenVZ virtual machine, if is running here, it should run anywhere.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • imokimok Member

vimalware said: Has anyone run Minio successfully no openvz VPS with just the x64 binary?

Works fine! I use it on CentOS 7.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • willie said: tarsnap.com is supposed to be the most hardcore backup service, fwiw.

+1 for Tarsnap, although it's backed by S3. For backups, B2 is hard to beat from a raw cost per GB perspective.

• moonmartinmoonmartin Member
    edited April 2017

@willie said:

WSS said:

That alone puts me on edge, and I haven't bothered to look at their code.

The guy who does Tarsnap (and wrote all the code) is smarter than hell so I'm sure he got all that stuff right.

Tarsnap code is pretty good if you want to set up your own backup system to a cheap VPS or cloud service. Just needs more work promoting it because most people don't seem to know about it.

They aren't exactly cheap if you use their hosted service but at least their pricing is simple.

• @WSS said:

@willie said:
    tarsnap.com is supposed to be the most hardcore backup service, fwiw.

Tarsnap runs on UNIX-like operating systems (BSD, Linux, MacOS X, Cygwin, etc).

???

• sinsin Member
    edited April 2017

@willie said:

WSS said:

The guy who does Tarsnap (and wrote all the code) is smarter than hell so I'm sure he got all that stuff right.

and it fucking rocks! I love Tarsnap. $5 has lasted me a year there.

• jhjh Member

Can't recommend Tarsnap (www.tarsnap.com) enough for encrypted, incremental backups to S3.

• Well s3/glacier i wouldn't use as my first backup. In fact my non-Plex data has a minimum of 3 backups. Up to 5 where possible. S3/glacier is the final backup location being in a different continent for protection before then there is OneDrive ACD and my own personal backup server.

Overkill. Yeah. But means my data is safe despite it being just memes

• @jh said:
    Can't recommend Tarsnap (www.tarsnap.com) enough for encrypted, incremental backups to S3.

_Storage: 250 picodollars / byte-month of encoded data

($0.25 / GB-month)
    Bandwidth: 250 picodollars / byte of encoded data
    ($0.25 / GB)___

Confusing to me. Does this mean 10gb is 2.5 to upload and 2.5 to store a month or what exactly