Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH Dedi server (Host range)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH Dedi server (Host range)

Hi,
I will be purchasing a OVH dedi when they open their UK DC location. I am probably going to us the HOST-64L or 128L by default this comes with the softraid option, does anyone know if this softraid configuration is supported by ESXi? Ordinarily it wouldn't be as ESX just sees the JBODs, but I have known some software raid cards "work" with ESX. Does anyone have any experience of this or should I bite the bullet and upgrade to the hardware RAID card? The difference is £40 per month so it would be good to know if this is necessary on a £99 dedi!

I guess the other alternative is to use proxmox rather than ESX.

Thanks

Michael

Comments

• ngstargatengstargate Member
    edited April 2017

Soft raid unsupported by ESX/ESXi.
    You can use standard KVM virtualization with soft raid..

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

I think I managed to get this working once before. But if the install fails then the ovh support can fix it.

• I know that ESX doesn't support software raid, I have had some success with custom images in the past, HP Gen 8 Microserver with a B120i software raid (which I run as my homelab) for example.

I have also come across software raid cards that work with ESXi too (again with custom images)(i.e. the LSI MegaRAID (a hardware card with software RAID)).

That was why I asked the question, I am not sure of the underlying hardware for OVH dedicated servers or how the software RAID is presented.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

You need a hardware RAID for ESXi or you go JBOD.

Thanked by 1HyperSpeed
  • I don't mean to start an argument, but that isn't true, the B120i works fine with ESXi

• ihadpihadp Member

@michaels said:
    I don't mean to start an argument, but that isn't true, the B120i works fine with ESXi

The two OVH servers you mentioned have the drives directly connected to the motherboard..There isn't a card involved unless you pay for hardware raid.

• I confirm that ESXI doesn't support Software RAID.

You can install ESXI but each drive will show up as independent datastore.

Software RAID mean that there is no RAID managed by any specific hardware (like an LSI MegaRAID). Software RAID is managed by the OS. ESXI can't manage Software RAID (it will just show independent datastore).

Thanked by 1HyperSpeed
  • Hey @MaikoB are you aware if they received the hardware in BHS for the new SP-32/64 ? I've been waiting for the server since 10 days now. Thanks!

• @FredQc said:
    Hey @MaikoB are you aware if they received the hardware in BHS for the new SP-32/64 ? I've been waiting for the server since 10 days now. Thanks!

PM me your order ID :)

• MaikoB said: PM me your order ID :)

PM'ed

Thanks!

• i am a big time Esxi fan but on my 3 servers with OVH , i am using Proxmox with software raid 1 , its works fine . One server with raid 10 too .

• @michaels said:
    I don't mean to start an argument, but that isn't true, the B120i works fine with ESXi

Different hardware setup entirely, the MicroServers aren't a great example of a real-world solution, my colleague sold his due to this reason