Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Voxility blocking whole ISPs instead of filtering traffic?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Voxility blocking whole ISPs instead of filtering traffic?

WebGuruWebGuru Member

This weird issue started around 2 weeks ago. When Voxility detects an attack and start filtering my traffic they block some of the major ISPs during the attack. And if i have Voxility always on mode activated thn that means some ISPs are always on block. Without always on mode or when there is no attack detected at that time those ISP users can access my server/site without any issue.

PTCL is the biggest ISP of Pakistan and more thn 50% internet user from Pakistan come through this ISP but Voxility is blocking this whole ISP during attacks so all users connected to my server are disconnected when the attack starts and they can't access the server because Voxility block the ISP when filtering traffic. I confirmed it my self during attacks i can't even access SSH or any other services using this ISP. I am also getting complains from some Irani and other country users so the block isn't just limited to one country and ISP.

I tried contacting my provider but the issue isn't at their end so i contacted Voxility directly but they don't even listen because you are not a direct customer although i was just trying to point out a fault in their filtering system that they need to check and fix.

Pakistan and Iran etc are not countries with datacenters to host servers/vps etc that can be later used in attacks so i am not sure why Voxility is blocking these ISPs? Most attacks i receive come from OVH, Online, Hetzner and other hosting network so why not just block them instead of blocking normal home users and ISPs?

Any ideas any thoughts?

Comments

• So youre user of voxility user?
    Why dont you ask your provider to ask voxility about this.
    Only voxility and god know the answer

• @permatahost said:
    So youre user of voxility user?
    Why dont you ask your provider to ask voxility about this.
    Only voxility and god know the answer

Already did but no success.

• hostdarehostdare Member, Patron Provider

Yes,voxility is that bad . We have worked with a provider with voxility . Experience ranges from random outage to weird routing to these kind of random blocks . It is more of a headache than actual service !

Thanked by 1Sofia_K
  • @hostdare said:
    Yes,voxility is that bad . We have worked with a provider with voxility . Experience ranges from random outage to weird routing to these kind of random blocks . It is more of a headache than actual service !

So i am not alone here...

WebGuru said: So i am not alone here...

Yes,we have worked with vox for more than 9 months,it is better to leave such hosts if possible !!

• @hostdare said:

WebGuru said: So i am not alone here...

Yes,we have worked with vox for more than 9 months,it is better to leave such hosts if possible !!

You were also using Vox on a UK server?

• matteobmatteob Barred
    edited April 2017

Blocking some ISP is not always a nightmare, but usualy are content providers well know to be spammers or illegal activities friendly. Is uncommon that they block Xdsl providers.

Are you sure that you host really contacted voxility?

• That is weird to block a whole ISP during an ddos Attack. You should probably move your service else where.

WebGuru said: You were also using Vox on a UK server?

No,it was USA locations

• @hostdare said:

WebGuru said: You were also using Vox on a UK server?

No,it was USA locations

I am facing this issue on UK location.

Thanked by 1hostdare
  • Hey @WebGuru have you tried OVH France instead? Would that not work?

edited April 2017

@WebGuru said:

Guess it has same issue everywhere !! look for cloudflare or ovh ??

• @GenjiSwitchPls said:
    Hey @WebGuru have you tried OVH France instead? Would that not work?
    @hostdare said:

@WebGuru said:

Guess it has same issue everywhere !! look for cloudflare or ovh ??

I got to Kimsufis but both are in OVH Canada and the basic ddos protection by OVH isn't that good your game/chat users get dc within a few seconds before their sensor detect it and start filtering the traffic also i am not sure how good is OVH layer 7 protection if i go for their pro anti ddos protection?

Cloudflare can only handle layer 7 attacks if you enable under attack mode on free plan and that makes the new visitor wait for 5 seconds to do a browser check.

• matteob said: Blocking some ISP is not always a nightmare, but usualy are content providers well know to be spammers or illegal activities friendly. Is uncommon that they block Xdsl providers.

PTCL IS well known for spam and attacks.

DDoS-Guard works better than Voxility and is actually cheaper also.

Thanked by 1BlaZe
  • @William said:

matteob said: Blocking some ISP is not always a nightmare, but usualy are content providers well know to be spammers or illegal activities friendly. Is uncommon that they block Xdsl providers.

PTCL IS well known for spam and attacks.

DDoS-Guard works better than Voxility and is actually cheaper also.

PTCL is a part of Etisalat and PTCL provides broadband and wireless internet services to more thn half of Pakistani internet users so i think it's really unfair to block a whole ISP. Spam i can understand but attacks how? The only way an attack from PTCL can be launched is if many PTCL users computers are compromised (botnet type) otherwise PTCL or Pakistan both are not known for providing datacenter/servers to public that can be later used for attacks just like we see with OVH/Online etc.

• WebGuru said: PTCL is a part of Etisalat and PTCL provides broadband and wireless internet services to more thn half of Pakistani internet users so i think it's really unfair to block a whole ISP.

I never said it was fair - it clearly is not - i just confirmed that it is a major source of issues. Still far less than any Chinese ISP also.

• lazytlazyt Member
    edited April 2017

https://www.wordfence.com/blog/2017/04/home-routers-attacking-wordpress/

12246 attacking ips from home routers from Pakistan

• @lazyt said:
    https://www.wordfence.com/blog/2017/04/home-routers-attacking-wordpress/

12246 attacking ips from home routers from Pakistan

And the problem is Pakistani home Internet users don't have static ip addresses so ip changes everytime you reconnect that means if that ip is blocked or blacklisted thn on next connect an innocent user will be facing problem while compromised computer or spammer will move to another ip

• WebGuru said: And the problem is Pakistani home Internet users don't have static ip addresses so ip changes everytime you reconnect that means if that ip is blocked or blacklisted thn on next connect an innocent user will be facing problem while compromised computer or spammer will move to another ip

That sounds like a good reason to use a VPN. Then you could have both a static and a clean IP.

• Ole_Juul said: That sounds like a good reason to use a VPN. Then you could have both a static and a clean IP.

But the government bans the use of encryption without a license/permission. So using a VPN is either not going to work, or get you in trouble.

Thanked by 2Ole_Juul hostdare
  • rds100 said: But the government bans the use of encryption without a license/permission. So using a VPN is either not going to work, or get you in trouble.

Not like the gov enforces that, or in fact even has actual control over vast parts of the what they call "country".

Thanked by 2lazyt BlaZe
  • @Ole_Juul said:

WebGuru said: And the problem is Pakistani home Internet users don't have static ip addresses so ip changes everytime you reconnect that means if that ip is blocked or blacklisted thn on next connect an innocent user will be facing problem while compromised computer or spammer will move to another ip

That sounds like a good reason to use a VPN. Then you could have both a static and a clean IP.

Yea and you don't need to worry about getting your ip banned/blacklisted.

• Is it still happening an Voxility user please confirm? Want to get a Voxility VPS and test again.

• Sorry for bumping the old thread but just wanted to know if the issue still exist or Voxility fixed their filters?

• @WebGuru said:
    Sorry for bumping the old thread but just wanted to know if the issue still exist or Voxility fixed their filters?

Voxility is still mediocre.
    Take the site auktionshilfe.info as an example, every time I use safari to browse the site, I get pretty much instantly blocked by the voxility ddos protection.

• @tr1cky said:

@WebGuru said:
    Sorry for bumping the old thread but just wanted to know if the issue still exist or Voxility fixed their filters?

Voxility is still mediocre.
    Take the site auktionshilfe.info as an example, every time I use safari to browse the site, I get pretty much instantly blocked by the voxility ddos protection.

So Voxility filters are still same. Thanks for the input buddy

• avelineaveline Member, Patron Provider

Are you able to run traceroute / ping / curl from PTCL network?

If yes please PM me and I'll contact Voxility to see if this can be fixed.

tr1cky said: auktionshilfe.info

I am getting a block page too

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

From my understanding Voxility is a combination of classed rate limits (threshold active, threshold under mitigation), some specific mitigations (e.g ICMP is entirely blocked during) and some ASN bans.

If you are in certain countries, or hosted on certain networks (e.g used to be the case with both Ecatel and Colocrossing) during attack you will find yourself unable to communicate with a filtered /32. Most of those filtered are datacenter networks, as thats where large amounts of volume comes from.

Realistically it's fine for those under rare attack who just need to maintain 99% online status during the attack.

• @aveline said:
    Are you able to run traceroute / ping / curl from PTCL network?

If yes please PM me and I'll contact Voxility to see if this can be fixed.

I don't have a Voxility VPS anymore but if i get one for testing purpose again i will send you the tracerout. Thanks buddy!