Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Slow SCP
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Slow SCP

plumbergplumberg Veteran

Hi,
When I am transferring one file over SCP from Server A to Server B, it happens fast (average 10MBPS). However, transferring from Server B to Server A via SCP is super slow; 500 kbps max.

I have tried the transfers at different times of the day. Still, same result.

How can I troubleshoot the one-way slowness? Both run Linux. Different network providers.

Thanks!

Comments

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Soes the slowness persist to any destination when server B is the source or just to Server A?

Is the disk busy in terms of reads on Server B or is Server A busy in terms of disk writes?

• My money is on crappy peering.

• @AnthonySmith said:
    Soes the slowness persist to any destination when server B is the source or just to Server A?

Is the disk busy in terms of reads on Server B or is Server A busy in terms of disk writes?

I even tried with a different provider... Incoming to Server A is slow from another provider also. But, outgoing is fast.

Server A (receiver of slow files) is completely idle. Its a new server setup.

All providers are saying, I dont see any problems.

can you boot server A in to recovery mode and try it just to 100% rule anything out on the server (expect the same result).

After that gather tracert info both ways, ask the DC for a local test file (which will probably work fast) and then ask them why they think that 500kbps is not a problem.

It might also be worth testing things using wget to back things up.

• @AnthonySmith said:We
    can you boot server A in to recovery mode and try it just to 100% rule anything out on the server (expect the same result).

After that gather tracert info both ways, ask the DC for a local test file (which will probably work fast) and then ask them why they think that 500kbps is not a problem.

It might also be worth testing things using wget to back things up.

So I submitted a MTR to and fro. Mid way one of the hops has some packet loss. Provider said since final hop had no loss nothing seems to be wrong. Hence I am at a loss on how to find out the root cause of the problem and get it resolved.

Thanks.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

It's just with scp? Try rsync to see if the same happens if you don't want to test in rescue mode.

• @MikeA said:
    It's just with scp? Try rsync to see if the same happens if you don't want to test in rescue mode.

Hmm. I'll try. Thanks

• IkoulaIkoula Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2017

Would you mind show us interfaces full ip configuration ?

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

Using winscp? Its a pile of shithouse. Use cyberduck

• @pbgben said:
    Using winscp? Its a pile of shithouse. Use cyberduck

I am using command line scp. Both are Linux

• @Ikoula said:
    Would you mind show us interfaces full ip configuration ?

How?

no offence but troubleshooting this sort of issue requires a degree of understanding, that degree far exceeds knowing how to show your interface configuration, or more to the point, even the knowledge that you could just google it.

I think you are best off just paying your DC staff to investigate for you or moving your server.

• @AnthonySmith said:

no offence but troubleshooting this sort of issue requires a degree of understanding, that degree far exceeds knowing how to show your interface configuration, or more to the point, even the knowledge that you could just google it.

I think you are best off just paying your DC staff to investigate for you or moving your server.

None taken. Is it just ifconfig op needed?

• JarryJarry Member

I'd check MSS/MTU setting on both servers and along the route (i.e. tracepath). This might be caused by packet fragmentation...

• Also note that even then you might still not get an answer. I just moved 175 megabytes on a colocated server in Dallas to a colocated server in LA with both locations being colocated with the same company, and this transfer ran about 800 kilobytes a second.