Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Memory Required For CentOS 5 + MySQL + Apache?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Memory Required For CentOS 5 + MySQL + Apache?

NarutoNaruto Member
edited January 2012 in General

I want to run a Vanilla Forum like this site but only not related to hosting, but related to news/current evens/random discussions/video games/movies/etc. Can this be ran with MySQL and Apache on CentOS 5 under a OVZ-256 from Hostigation? I don't know how much memory that stuff requires. :(

Comments

• Mon5t3rMon5t3r Member
    edited January 2012

The most important thing is.. why you need apache to run this forum?

lowendtalk.com/blah/testerror.php <= copy this to your web browser and run it.

• I think that 256MB of ram should be ok, If not then you can always upgrade. If you want though you could just use a shared host, if this is all that you are running.

Thanked by 1Naruto
  • Should be more than enough to run it, Remember to disable innodb for extra memory room and maybe nginx instead of apache ?

Thanked by 1Naruto
  • We've got people running this setup on 96mb.

Thanked by 1Naruto
  • On OpenVZ I guess that will take around 100-120 mb so 256 is ok.

Thanked by 1Naruto
  • My standard nginx+php-fpm+APC+mysql setup takes around 120mb on a OpenVZ VPS.
    Autoinstaller scripts:
    http://freevps.us/thread-1434.html - CentOS 6
    http://freevps.us/thread-528.html - CentOS 5

Rewrite rules:
    http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/9915/vanilla-on-nginx

Thanked by 1Naruto
  • @dmmcintyre3 that's very helpful. Should I should get the 128MB plan then and let the burst memory handle any extra memory-consuption such as traffic?

• As long as you don't have really high traffic you should be OK. I ran that forum on a 128mb KVM from hostigation for months and had no real issues until my traffic doubled.

• Sad story; they are out of stock. :(

• xenuxenu Member
    edited January 2012

CentOS 5 requires at least 256MB of RAM for using yum, otherwise it wouldn't work.

• DamianDamian Member
    edited January 2012

@xenu: CentOS 5's yum can be used on as little as 96mb of ram, as long as you turn off plugins in /etc/yum.conf or run it with --noplugins

• I don't know how to run it with no plugins and I <3 yum but I guess I could use Debian right?

• DamianDamian Member
    edited January 2012

yum --noplugins install blahblahblah

• You can definatly run the site with less than 256 MB of RAM. We have clients hosting blogs on 64 MB of RAM without any issues. If your host has it I suggest you get "Kloxo - Host-In-A-Box" ~ If you tweak it right everything combined will use 16 MB of RAM like ours does, just follow the instructions on: http://wiki.lxcenter.org/Kloxo-Manual

• @BlueVM: where are your servers located? (Your website is a little sparse on detail.)

• @BlueVM your site totally doesn't look like a ugly version of BuyVM's website.

I wonder if @Aldryic and @Fransisco would agree...

• lxcenter.org? Doesn't really look all that similar to me <_<

But then again, my stickfigures make people cry (hence Fran doing all the design work), and I've spent the last 6 hours writing backend code for our billing system, so take that with a grain of salt.

• BlueVMBlueVM Member
    edited January 2012

@sleddog: Our servers are located in Pennsylvania, USA.

@Kairus: While I agree we did take their design into consideration while designing our template, we primarily went for the open feel that it had more than copying the design. If Fransisco feels we're trying to copy him I'd be open to discuss changing the design. However I'm extremely happy to hear that you think its ugly :)

Anyway I'd like to apologize to the poster, my post has very little to do with your question... but If you still need help I'm willing to give you any further advice you might need.

• @Aldryic said: lxcenter.org? Doesn't really look all that similar to me <_<

The link in his signature, you troll!

@BlueVM said: While I agree we did take their design into consideration while designing our template, we primarily went for the open feel that it had more than copying the design.

o.o I would say "take their design into consideration" is an understatement.

Thanked by 2Mon5t3r japon
  • ahahahaha, my bad, I was looking at the base site from that wiki link. Yeah, I can see the similarity now.

Oh well, at least he didn't pull a 123Systems and try to copy inch-for-inch every plan we establish :3

• @Kairus said: you troll!

thanks @Kairus.. you've change my mood this morning.. hahaha