Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Instant Server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Instant Server

AdducAdduc Member
edited June 2013 in General

Potential new dead pool entry? Located at InstantServer.io, the site claims to offer unlimited access to a newly provisioned Amazon EC2 VPS for a 35 minute period.

How long until it's abused to death?

Comments

• I don't think this is ever going to be considered "dead pool" because no one is going to use it for anything...

• PcJamesyPcJamesy Member
    edited June 2013

you can "purchase" it for longer

$4 - 1 day

$8 - 2 days

$12 - 3 days

$22 - 7 days

$48 - 30 days

Little above leb pricing, but they don't really profit too much if they are using amazon ec2 at that rate anyways. and worse then pretty much all leb hosts

CPU model : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5507 @ 2.27GHz
    Number of cores : 1
    CPU frequency : 2266.746 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 589 MB
    Total amount of swap : 0 MB
    System uptime : 3 min,
    Download speed from CacheFly: 30.5MB/s
    Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 238KB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 3.69MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 2.11MB/s
    Download speed from i3d.net, NL: 3.59MB/s
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 3.90MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 1.99MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 4.02MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 2.30MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 14.1MB/s
    I/O speed : 33.3 MB/s

• OxideOxide Member

Interesting concept...

• awsonawson Member

The intended use for that service is disposable servers to use for testing/"instant" access to a Linux box for whatever reason.

I think the idea is neat and its owner could rake in quite a bit just by looking at how much he charges for extra time (compared to how much EC2 does). Of course it can be abused but I take it it'll be improved over time.

• 35 mins? just long enough to do an update! An hour should be the minimum. May as well us DO for $0.01, atleast then a snapshot can be taken and stored

• awsonawson Member
    edited June 2013

@asterisk14 said:
    35 mins? just long enough to do an update! An hour should be the minimum. May as well us DO for $0.01, atleast then a snapshot can be taken and stored

Did you even read the page?

When would I use this?

>

Among other reasons, perhaps:

• You need another computer to test something quickly

• You need to install and use a utility for one thing, and don’t want to clutter your own environment

• You need a vanilla environment to get something to build and run properly

• You need linux but accidentally used windows

>

Why shouldn’t I just spin up an ec2/rackspace/linode instance?

>

They all make it slower and more difficult than it should be.

• yes, I read the page, 35 mins is pretty useless for me. maybe if i had a script then i could bang something out, but for me - as they say on dragons den - i'm out.

• I believe it's ran by a student because of the mit.edu contact address. I really like the idea, but I'm not sure whether it will be profitable.

• awsonawson Member
    edited June 2013

@mpkossen said:
    I believe it's ran by a student because of the mit.edu contact address. I really like the idea, but I'm not sure whether it will be profitable.

He uses spot instances which are around $0.003/hour right now (yes, 30% of a cent).

So from the 1333 instances he starts up with $4, I guess he can only hope at least one of them will buy the 1 day extra time to make up for it.

Not sure what he's doing about bandwidth, though.