Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Shared Hosting]Real 100% uptime?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[Shared Hosting]Real 100% uptime?

taronyutaronyu Member
edited June 2013 in General

I have been thinking about this for a few days and I can't figure it out. The part after the domain has been resolved is easy. Load balancing isn't hard at all. However, I can't find a way to eliminate the time between DNS changes. I know there is Round Robin but it doesn't check if the given server is available so it is still possible to be unable to reach the page. Another possibility is to use a DNS service (like Rage4) but this doesn't remove the DNS time between changing. I'm pretty sure it isn't possible to remove that time, I was wondering if there is something like Round Robin only with a way to check if the server is available. And if not redirect them to a available server.

Comments

• bdtechbdtech Member
    edited June 2013

Aws route 53 failover plus round robin and set your TTL to 5min. Also the change time won't be that big of a deal as modern browsers will try the second IP if first is down. So have two IPs in the record and pull the down one.

• @taronyu Set DNS record TTL to 300 seconds.

• klikliklikli Member

Use CloudFlare / a reverse proxy.
    Even you set TTL to a second there are many DNS resolvers that would ignore it.

• i'm also interested in this. i'm was really surprised that the internet is a modern invention and this was not planned for and is not easy to implement. i'm interested in sip (voip) servers and they need pretty much 100% uptime as they are mission critical. Server goes down = no calls! So being able to divert to a backup server ASAP is very important. The only thing I've read is to use DNS SRV or have the TTL at something like 60 seconds to switch to the backup server.

I'm still learning about it so the above may not be 100%

• @bdtech said:
    Aws route 53 failover plus round robin and set your TTL to 5min. Also the change time won't be that big of a deal as modern browsers will try the second IP if first is down. So have two IPs in the record and pull the down one.

They do? going to try right now.