Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GRE tunnel - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

GRE tunnel

2»

Comments

• I'm going to try that with https://vyos.io/ on ESXi and see how it goes

• This is impossible with PFsense on OVH as PFSense doesn't like the fact that OVH's gateways aren't in the subnet as the IP. Time to try a different router software

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2017

@ethancedrik said:
    This is impossible with PFsense on OVH as PFSense doesn't like the fact that OVH's gateways aren't in the subnet as the IP. Time to try a different router software

How many IPs do you have on the Proxmox/ESXI box? If you have more than 2, it is a pretty easy setup if you've got a /24 running through Vultr.

I could lend a hand for a modest fee :)

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

Why not use static routes?

AlexBarakov said: Why not use static routes?

Still need a router.

ethancedrik said: I'm going to try that with https://vyos.io/ on ESXi and see how it goes

I've set hundreds of VyOS routers up in the past. They work great. I've done exactly what you are trying to do.

• GamerTech24GamerTech24 Member
    edited June 2017

@randvegeta said:

ethancedrik said: I'm going to try that with https://vyos.io/ on ESXi and see how it goes

I've set hundreds of VyOS routers up in the past. They work great. I've done exactly what you are trying to do.

Is it possible to use it as a dhcp server as well or would you just manually configure it and point the gateway settings to the internal IP of the router?

ethancedrik said: Is it possible to use it as a dhcp server as well

If you mean on the ESXI/KVM/XEN box that you plan to actually USE the /24, then yes. You can configure the router as a DHCP server and auto allocate those IPs to your new VMs. No problem.

• For those of you wondering this was a success

• @ethancedrik said:
    For those of you wondering this was a success

Can you share the commands that you used?

• It isn't GRE, but you can use SSH remote forwarding (per port) as a means to achieve the same thing.

From your proxmox guest, outbound ssh connection to your VPS means no need for port forwarding within your proxmox setup.

I've been playing with this for a Plex setup with great success.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@dahartigan said:
    It isn't GRE, but you can use SSH remote forwarding (per port) as a means to achieve the same thing.

From your proxmox guest, outbound ssh connection to your VPS means no need for port forwarding within your proxmox setup.

And this is why necroing old threads instead of opening a new one is bad.

• @KuJoe said:

@dahartigan said:
    It isn't GRE, but you can use SSH remote forwarding (per port) as a means to achieve the same thing.

What about my post inspired your comment?

@dahartigan said:

@KuJoe said:

@dahartigan said:

You responded to a person who posted 3 years ago and hasn't visited LET in almost year. The person before you bumped a really old thread and I quoted you to show why people bumping really old threads is bad because you thought it was a new thread.

• @KuJoe said:

@dahartigan said:

@KuJoe said:

@dahartigan said:

You responded to a person who posted 3 years ago and hasn't visited LET in almost year. The person before you bumped a really old thread and I quoted you to show why people bumping really old threads is bad because you thought it was a new thread.

lol fair enough, I never thought it was a new thread though - I was going to post something sarcastic about the necro but decided to post something I considered useful instead.. I'm afraid that may have backfired though ;)

@dahartigan said:

@KuJoe said:

@dahartigan said:

@KuJoe said:

@dahartigan said:

lol fair enough, I never thought it was a new thread though - I was going to post something sarcastic about the necro but decided to post something I considered useful instead.. I'm afraid that may have backfired though ;)

It sucks because even though your comment was useful, it'll probably never be seen by the OP. And the person who necro'ed the thread probably won't get an answer to his question because people will see the first post and respond to that instead, had he made a new thread and sourced this thread or PM'ed the user directly, he might receive an answer.